1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Sep 16, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    They Better get close...... I said 75% as good and not 90%..

Cajun

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I have to agree with shaner82 here. This is clearly a short-term gain move at the expense of the long-term. There are times that makes sense and there are times when it doesn't. They went 13 years without trading up in the first or trading away a first rounder and now they do it twice in 6 months when the team is less likely to win a Lombardi? I won't say it smacks of desperation but more of just hanging on. Like the 40 year old former beauty queen who decides to get plastic surgery. Oh it'll keep you looking a little younger a little longer, but it ain't getting you anymore crowns.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin in his press conference today said Fitzpatrick will concentrate on playing FS for now :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Aside from tua , who the dolphins are going to draft almost certainly , what other QB from this class is worth tanking for ? Why would bouchette even say that? Pittsburgh has a toxic local media and tanking is lame as hell, I don’t care if we go 6-10 I want to see them try on every snap all season long. Herbert is garbage before anyone brings him up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Douchette is just that...Tank lol... Tomlin is hanging on by a thread now...And they're gonna tank...With Watt, Heyward, Conner,Haden etc. on the team... They might not be good enough, But they would never let them tank

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s a guy we probably should have kept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing on the question of whether this was a move to sell out the future for a short term gain - Fitzpatrick is in year 2 of a rookie contract that runs for 4 years plus a 5th year option. This isn’t like trading a 1st for someone who will be a free agent next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I didn't interpret what Bouchette wrote as the Steelers should intentionally tank, but rather that if Rudolph proves to be marginal that their record will tank.

As for the Dolphins I'm not sure they're targeting anyone in particular, they're just trying to load up on as many draft picks as they can get to give them maximum flexibility on draft day whether that means getting the one guy you want, getting as many picks as possible, or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Secondary has been hindering them for years, takes more than a QB to build a championship team and given their ability to draft DB's, I think this is the better route.

They obviously believe in Mason, they had a first rd grade on him and drafted him to replace Ben. Or maybe they feel Ben will finish his contract.

We'll have to wait and see but I think this was a great move.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Most of these comments make me cringe. Ben is coming back and plans to play out his contract. Why would you waste a 1st round pick on QB that will end up most likely riding the pine for a couple years. Steelers need players that can play now, hence Minkah Fitzpatrick. If Ben sucks when he comes back they will be in the running for a top QB anyhow. Flame suit on.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    ....and Mason Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    and Mason Rudolph

• Like Like x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Excellent pickup. Don't like the trade for him considering our next yrs pick could be top 10 but oh well.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the trade. We were probably going to draft another sub-standard LB with the #1 anyway.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    This is the sort of player we would be taking with a high pick anyway. I don't think we would have drafted another QB unless Rudolph falls flat on his face and I don't think the team expects that. So we lose one year of control that we would have had with the draft pick but don't have to pay the signing bonus and are getting a guy who has shown he belongs in the NFL and so is more of a sure thing than a pick would be. I get why it seems a weird time to suddenly make a move like this but it doesn't seem that risky to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Did anyone explain to Mike what that means?

• Like Like x 1
  18. BWinCA

BWinCA New Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Rudolph a known quantity? Really? He has thrown a grand total of 19 passes in his pro career. Plus you are going to need a legit #1 wide receiver to take the load off JuJu that will make it a lot easier for Rudolph.

A good Db is easier to get than a true #1 wide receiver or Qb. Their odds of getting a top-notch player at one of those two positions went down a lot, imo.

19. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    A top notch DB now could help average wideouts get more playing time and experience. I think it was a great move.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is he happy to be here?

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As you said, wait and see. Here's my fear though. We build a good team but are lacking a quality QB. We won't win and will likely be stuck in the middle ground where we're too good to get a franchise QB but not good enough to win.

Look around the league at those teams without a franchise QB. Many of them are stuck in the middle ground, which is why they never really improve. It's too hard to build a team without focusing on the QB early on. Most franchise QB's are taken in the 1st.

I get the hope for MR to be the guy, but why not keep the 1st as insurance?

22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers will “anchor” Minkah Fitzpatrick at safety for now

Posted by Josh Alper on September 17, 2019

During his year-plus in Miami, Minkah Fitzpatrick lined up at a variety of spots on the Dolphins defense.

The Steelers don’t plan to employ Fitzpatrick in that manner early in his time with the team. Fitzpatrick was acquired in a Monday night trade and head coach Mike Tomlin outlined some of the team’s plans for him at a Tuesday press conference.

Tomlin said that the plan is for Fitzpatrick to play free safety, which was occupied by Sean Davis before he went on injured reserve Tuesday.

“He will be playing the safety position,” Tomlin said, via Will Selva of NFL Media. “We’ll quickly get him up to speed. He’s a sharp guy, getting to know in the draft process. In the short term, we’re going to anchor him down to one position.”

Tomlin said the Steelers scouted Fitzpatrick heading into the 2018 draft as they were in the market for a safety and liked what they saw, but Fitzpatrick was off the board with the 11th pick. The Steelers took Terrell Edmunds with the 28th overall pick and now both safeties will be in the same secondary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

• Like Like x 3
  23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't get the idea that this is for a short term gain. Dude is just starting his second year. He is 22 and we basically got the Dolphins to pay his signing bonus and give him a year of experience. He is less of a gamble than a draft pick and not much older or less cost controlled (we lost one year but again didn't pay the signing bonus on a high pick). The only way this bites us is if he either sucks (again, less risk of that than with a draft pick who has never played in the NFL) or Mason sucks and we would have been picking really high and needing a QB. I think the team believes in Mason so they didn't see the second possibility as much of a risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    This is one of the times Douchette is right. Tomlin got the get out of jail free card when Ben got hurt. He is coming back next year. Next year will be the final year if the Steelers go 4-12 or something like that.

25. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I don't think our defense is awful and it got better with this trade. IMO, it totally boils down to Butler puts our guys in really bad positions. Especially the safeties. I don't see us getting that fixed until the end of the season.....I just don't think we make a move like that. Maybe if someone took over some of the duties and behind closed doors? I just don't see us addressing the real problem until after the season, which is disheartening.