1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want Ben back...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Announced today the giants benched eli for their 1st round pick jones to be their new starter, looks like age and production factored in his case, so kicking QBs to the curb is becoming the norm:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning's run as the starting quarterback for the New York Giants appears to be over after almost 15 years. Rookie Daniel Jones is taking over, beginning Sunday on the road against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team announced Tuesday.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Probably, but recently when the Steelers lose... it has more to do with poor defensive play than QB play. Ben has had some bad games over the past couple of years, but the defense didn't help any. The defense didn't do Rudolph any favors vs. Seahawks.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Eli has sucked for over 5 years

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    In other news...water is wet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And pee is warm.....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tampa will probably have a top 10 draft pick, they can get a young QB.

7. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This is a tough one for me. Ben has been the best QB I have seen play for the Steelers in my life time. He's provided great memories and has been one tough S.O.B. He wants to be a Steeler and finish his career here. I cant fathom seeing him in another uniform. But it has happened to some of the best to play ( Montana as a Chief, Manning as a Bronco, Favre as a Viking ) Players and teams always talk about doing whats in their best interests respectively. If Mason turns out to be starter material and a good QB, then the Steelers have to do whats best for the team. Correct me if Im wrong, but isn't Jameis Winston in the final year of his rookie deal ? As others have pointed out could Tampa be a landing spot via trade ? Arians inherited a QB he did not draft, and we all know the relationship Ben and Bruce have. Someone pointed out Tampa may draft in the top ten, but what if they don't ? What if they go 8-8 and draft around 16th or 18th.Im sure Arians wants to win now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think 200 million over his lifetime as a Steeler is fair compensation for all he has done. Loyalty is for dogs if you ask me. We want to win games

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Fair enough. It's just that this subject hits too close to home for me. I was laid off at the end of February. I was told it was because the owner of the boat wanted to go in a different direction. What my crew was told was, they wanted to go younger (they're smart enough not to have told ME that) I still haven't found full time work and I didn't make 200M.
    That said, most people on here seem to think that Mason will be a good to great QB and "Who needs Ben?" I hope it's true with Mason but the attitude about Ben seems a bit callous to me. If it comes to that, let him retire rather than trade him (and I don't mean a Brett Favre retirement)

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason gives us a better chance at winning games? Glad you're not pulling the strings. Wwwaaaayyyyy too early to curb stomp Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    What I saw in the second half was a QB who was poised, confident, having fun and not overwhelmed. Almost like Maholmes. If Rudolph does pan out, we have him and Ben as trade baits in 2020. If he doesn’t then we just drafted a damn good safety, a position of need, in the first round of the 2020 draft

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope Mason pans out and during the off season Ben says he feels good and wants to play a couple more years, even if it is with a different team. This would give us full market value for Ben. Then we cash that chip in for high return.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Sorry to hear about your situation. It is not uncommon especially nowadays to get replaced more easily. I have seen it first hand that there is no loyalty. Only making money. In the case of Ben if I understand correctly he is going to make money whether he plays or not. It's not a good situation for owners to eat this kind of guaranteed money but this is a bit different then how we outside of professional sports are paid. Everyone is expendable and business can be ruthless. I really hope Ben gets better soon and can come back I am just very skeptical. He is not our future at this point and if Mason can win games then he will get my full support. I won't forget Ben and all he has done for this org.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    No Ben with a bad elbow will give us a better chance. We should tell him to stop being a baby and knock off the drama and get the hell out there lol

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I am excited to see Mason get a chance. Ben will be hard to replace see 1983-2003.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for 1983-2003. There was a good QB out of Pitt that was available in the '83 draft... and the Steelers passed on him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Do you think if the rumors circling Marino wasn't there that the Steelers would have drafted him?
    Without the rumors he goes top 3?

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    From what I've heard, Art Sr wanted to draft him... but Noll and Dan Rooney decided against it.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ironic
    Two Steelers you trust to make the right decision & he turns out HOF.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Strange how things worked out. Had the Steelers taken Marino... I doubt he would have remained a Steeler after Free Agency in 1993. Some big market team would have scooped him up in the mid 90's. 3 Rivers Stadium... the concrete bowl, was not a revenue generator like Heinz Field. It's no secret the Steelers were better able to hang on to their star players when they moved into Heinz Field in 2001.

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Art Sr. left the draft board early before the Steelers were up with instructions to draft Marino. However Noll convinced Dan that Gabe Rivera was going to be the next Joe Greene. Who knows maybe without the tragic car crash he would have been.

22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Don't forget that Marino grew up within walking distance of 3 Rivers Stadium. He might have just wanted to stay home where he played football for his whole life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Gotta keep up! ;)

24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I was done with ben before the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not always.................... upload_2019-9-17_11-38-8.jpeg ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1