1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Sep 16, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Metcalf lined up in the slot on that particular play. They knew the Steelers weren’t following him with Nelson. Nelson held his own all game and they knew they would get a Safety i slot on him by moving him. The rest is history

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Concerned that it may not be the draft picks which are not impactful and may actually be a coaching problem

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This defense will now have 7 starters who were former 1st round picks

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. Butler runs the defense like one of those old electric vibrating football games. Opponents have been dictating the matchups for years. Why do you think opposing QBs ridicule and laugh at our D.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. PittAlum86

PittAlum86 Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    This is awesome news! Not only was there a huge need but I suspect Mason being the QB for the season also played into the decision. Now they need to go get another TE for him and he doesn't have to put the team on his shoulders.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually 8 if Barron and Bush both start. You got from front to back. Heyward,Dupree,Watt,Barron,Bush, Haden Edmunds and now Minkah

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Now it is SQUARELY on Keith Butler!! Let us see what he can do!! Have SEVERE doubts though!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    More to this trade than first reported.

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, no more excuses for Butler. How many defences in the NFL have 8 first rounders and two second rounders starting? I doubt there are any. If they are still poor then it’s squarely down to coaching.The defence absolutely has to step up now and help the team out, get more stops etc.

Similarly the offence needs to keep hold of the ball better and keep the D off the field. I am worried about our run game, Conner seems to get dinged every game. They need Samuels and Conner fully healthy in order to help Mason out and run play action more. Fichtner will be under the spotlight now, can he design plays to help Mason be the game manager they need? There were signs on Sunday that maybe he can. It’s going to be an interesting season.

Kudos to Colber for pulling off the Fitzpatrick trade. It may turn out to be a mistake but it took guts to go for it all the same and it sends a positive message to the locker room that they believe in the team and are not giving up on the season. The team probably needs to go 9-5 or 10-4 now to make the playoffs, unlikely as that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If there were examples of players going somewhere else and thriving then I would agree, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They get drafted, they struggle, they're let go, then disappear.

It's not like I see Senquez Golson, Brian Allen, Shaquille Richardson, or Doran Grant anywhere.

11. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    This move for Fitzpatrick proves that the Steelers have confidence in Rudolph to not only win games but maybe even still compete for this division and possibly win it. The defense got a lot better with this move and it should help win some of these close games the Steelers continue to lose.

12. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wow... I did not truly see this trade coming.. I personally thought he would land with Chargers or the Bears... But i am glad to have him here! He will improve our secondary for sure.. Rather late than never..
    Now it got me wondering as well... Do we make this trade if Conner was out for an extended period of time (along with Ben)??
    Now I think we have Martavius, Wallace, Eli and maybe one or two more come in and find someone to replace Moncrief..

13. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    What does this trade indicate:

a) The Steelers are convinced that Ben will be back and healthy for 2020 and 2021
    b) The Steelers are convinced Rudolph is a franchise QB that can lead them to a deep playoff run in 2019 and beyond
    c) Both
    d) Neither. It says nothing about the QB situation and is simply a way to shore up a continuing weakness at DB.

This is a huge gamble for the FO. They've now only got one pick out of the first 110 in the 2020 draft.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Even though we did give a 1 up, I am glad to see we got a 4th this year..

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we finally see fichtners true offense now and not bens version of it. As for the defense, if they want to run this true 3 safety look this may be the time to do it. Fitz, davis, edmunds. Nelson, haden, hilton/sutton. TJ, tuitt, cam/hargraves, ola/bud. Barron/bush. :cool:

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Colbert and Tomlin must have total faith in Mason Rudolph to do this trade. Rudolph passes my eye test as a legit NFL QB and I've been watching football for a long damn time.

If the Steelers continue to lose games this year, it won't be because of QB play.

Rudolph already looks better than Baker Mayfield. :icon mrgreen:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Can you share your observations. I agree with you although I don't have the experience and knowledge on the QB position to really know what I'm seeing lol. All I know is the offense came to life after he came in the game.

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm going to be that guy that pumps the brakes.

The NFL is full of QBs that looked legit for 8 games or even a full season only to fail the test of time. Scott Mitchell, Matt Cassell, Matt Flynn, etc. Hell we may be lumping Mayfield in with those guys by the end of this year, so I'm not going to pass any judgment on Rudolph after one half. None of us have any clue how good Rudolph may eventually end up being.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes, because Rudolph wasn't calling the plays... Finctner was. Just like Whisenhunt was calling the plays in '04 and '05 for Ben.... and the results spoke for themselves.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    So far... Rudolph doesn't get rattled. After the Moncrief pick... he threw 2 TD passes and drove the team down the field for a FG. Seattle's front 7 is stout and Rudolph didn't crumble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that Butler has no excuses, but his failing is trying to adapt an old defensive scheme rather than create a new one. To that end, it doesn’t matter if they’re first rounders or UDFAs. There’s no excuse for not designing a defense to your players strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When i read the thread quick i was thinking of Ryan Fitzpatrick :eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    C

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Traded #1s, didn't trade it for a player.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya, I kinda knew that...Some reason I thought they moved him back down, If that's allowable