1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As others have said, and I said yesterday, the trade makes sense given our record with drafting DBs. It’s an early first round pick.

I’m sure come draft time they’ll be plenty of “if only we hadn’t gone for Fitzpatrick we could have had...” Guess that’s the fun of the draft.

Hell, just to have someone on the team who’s not injured is a novelty this season.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    News flash: they weren't going to draft a QB next year anyway. Safety is their biggest need, they should've addressed it in the last draft. Fitzpatrick can play safety, slot CB, CB.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's versatile

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He won't fix everything that ails the defense, but they would have Sean Davis replacement already on the roster, and they won't have to draft another safety high in the draft next year.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Welcome to the board

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually Peterson wasn't really available, he was unhappy and ran his mouth, then Arizona said they weren't going to trade him and he shut up about it.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They acquired a former top 15 draft pick who can play different roles in the secondary, he's also on his rookie contract, they can have him for 3 more years after this season.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

MY THOUGHT EXACTLY, THIS IS WHY I STARTED THREAD STEELERS NEED TO PULL TRIGGER.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    MY friends this is HUGE, our current safety's Stink. Atleast we have one that
    can play. He will be a tremendous asset.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was at work, I checked twitter on my phone and couldn't believe it :thumbs_up:, nice job Colbert.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s not the first time he’s given up a big play by being too slow to diagnose. I think a good FS may have been able to contest both TE TDs, but I’ll need to watch the All 22 tape to be sure. Either way, saying his instincts are not where they need to be is pretty kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. However watch that TD from Sunday again. Edmunds actually recovered pretty well, got position, got his head around, and hands up. It was a perfect pass, but the coverage was not terrible at all, and i was impressed with how close he came to contesting that catch considering how badly he was beaten initially. The potential is clearly there, and we’re seeing things start to come together for him.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When you can't draft em, trade for em. He is walking into a mess at the safety position. Lets hope his worth is what they gave up for and this coaching staff cough cough doesn't screw him up.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Nelson had done a good job keeping DK in check. Still dont understand why Edmunds was ever on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I love seeing the talking heads say this is a dumb move. Just immediately writing Mason off as a typical backup. No clue how terrible our Safety okay has been .

At last year's draft had we traded our 2020 1st round pick for the Dolphins #11 in 2018 it would have been considered a steal. And now we've seen Minkah have a very productive rookie season already.

The team needed this trade. The fanbase needed this trade. We are a much improved team with Minkah on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So here is one of the top reasons that Butler needs to exit. Metcalf was in the slot, so Nelson took the outside receiver (who I believe was a TE lined up on the outside). Rather than shift guys around to put our best coverage guys on the opponent’s best weapons, Butler just does the simple high school approach of saying “the outside corner gets the outermost receiver, then the safety/nickel get the next” and so on. It’s literally how my old high school coach ran man coverage in high school freshman football to avoid confusion. That’s how we keep on getting LBs on WRs. The opponent can dictate mismatches by taking advantage of this stupidity.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I wanted this trade badly before Ben’s season ended. For a brief period of time I questioned whether it was a wise move given Ben’s injury, but after thinking it through I’m staying in the “great move” camp. This move signals to the rest of the team - especially Rudolph (and excluding Davis) - that management has confidence that they can rebound from 0-2 with a little bit of help. It also sets up 2020 as a year to go all-in on a championship by getting a potentially elite talent and giving him the better part of a year to get fully integrated into the defense. Barring injury, I think Fitz would almost certainly contribute more in 2020 than a 1st round rookie - even if next year’s 1st is a top 10 pick. This is a great move for boosting our chances to recover in 2019, and to make a strong push for a trophy next season.

If Fitz is the player I and the team think he is, then the only way this backfires IMO is if Rudolph flops AND Ben is unable to return to form next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Skipper is on the giants 53 man roster. Only way to get him back would be to trade for him.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    With all due respect, I don't accept your premise. It is still September. We have no idea who the top 10 draft prospects will be by next April. The Steelers could also trade a top-10 pick for multiple assets. We saw how valuable such a pick can be from the other end this year, with the cost of trading up to take Devin Bush.

The Steelers just traded an asset that could end up gaining a great deal of value between now and April. I hope they are right. Fitzpatrick is a great talent and maybe he just needs to be used properly to take his game to another level. Do you trust Butler to make that happen?

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are committed to a huge chunk of their cap space for Roethlisberger in 2020 and 2021 unless he retires or they can trade him. I doubt either is happening. Who would deal for a 38-year-old quarterback coming off Tommy John surgery?

I do understand the value of Fitzpatrick over Ramsey, who is going to want a big payday immediately. I am a little concerned about a guy who publicly wanted out from his old team, too, but that was an ugly situation in Miami and Fitzpatrick is under team control based on his rookie deal for three more seasons after this one if you count the option.

I don't hate the trade. I just have concerns about the cost.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm... alright. I understand. Let me give you my quick hitters for each position!!

Pass Rushers:

Chase Young Jr.: The best one. Best player in the draft for me personally. He is what I would call a "Unicorn"; no weaknesses. Unreal potential with the talent to match. Not in the Myles Garrett/Jadeveon Clowney stratosphere of athleticism but better than Bradley Chubb and the Bosa brothers. I really do not need to explain much of anything here.

A.J. Epenesa: Another B1G stalwart. Mainly 4-3 use though. Can be 3-4 but only on the Interior Defensive Line. If he is used as a 3-4 OLB, pass rusher only but do so at your own discretion.

Terrell Lewis: Our first Alabama player! Versatile too! Use him however you please. Just let him rush the QB.

Yeuter Gross-Matos: Only thing gross about him is his absurd production in the B1G. 20 TFL is nothing to scoff at. He did get suspended though so he will have to answer for that.

Anfree Jennings: An Alabama pass rusher I wanted last year. Technique is great and his athleticism is well enough. Decided to return and he made the right choice.

Defensive Lineman:

A.J. Epenesa: Again here but by far the best. He is that rare breed who can play essentially any technique. No limits for him with his hand in the dirt.

Raekwon Davis: Another Alabama all star. Alabama loves their defensive lineman for certain. That said, among the likes of Johnathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne and him, Davis to me has the greatest potential. Like Epenesa but can only play the 0-5 techs on the line. Seven and up is not recommended here.

Derrick Brown: Some say he could very well be the best defensive player to come out of this class. 6-5, 315lbs with potential yet to be tapped. Much like Raekwon though, limited from 0-5 although he is far more dominant than any other Interior Defensive Lineman in this class when doing any of the aforementioned roles.

Nick Coe: His teammate in Derrick may have the greater floor but Nick possess the greater ceiling. He actually played OLB in his sophomore campaign at 285lbs. He still is said weight.

Linebackers:

Isaiah Simmons: See above

Dylan Moses: I had this guy ranked even higher than Jaylon Smith before his Fiesta Bowl injury and just behind Ryan Shazier. A generational talent!!..... except he tears his ACL. Thankfully, with good rehab, he can return to full form.

Troy Dye: I wanted him this season. He opted to stay though at Oregon. He made the right call. Other than a fully healthy Dylan or Isaiah, no one else I would rather want.

Hamsah Nasirildeen: Much like Isaiah but with a bit of a catch. More potential but also more bust capability. Pick him but make sure you have a plan on how to use him.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We traded our #1 pick earlier this year to Denver.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe he thinks its ballsy because we gave up a first rounder for 2020 .. I personally like the move and it is ballsy imho as well. If Ben does not play again and Rudolph under performs you have potentially given up a first rounder where you could have picked a QB?

SteelerNation
    @SteeIerNation

·
    8h

#Steelers have traded their first round pick to the Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And even worse give Sean Davis another contract....

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well then, with due respect in kind, we can agree to disagree. No more need to be said on that note. There is one aspect me and you can agree on however. I will tell you...

FIRE!!

KEITH!!

BUTLER!!!

:butcher:

26. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm sure Ben coming out stating that he intends to honor his contract has played into this. They were not going to draft a QB in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2