1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Dodges Bullet

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Now Tomlin has excuse to loose games and probably will be kept around. We couldn’t get to a SB with 4 possible HOF ers we shall see what kind of coach he is now. I’m not sure if I want to tank year and have new staff next year or have a decent year.

Thoughts ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People will never know what type of coach Tomlin is if they don't know by now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    To start, Pittsburgh has never tanked. This is a franchise that is far too proud to do that. Furthermore, tanking does not always guarantee long term success.

However, to your second point, Tomlin likely does stay due to this development. I do not think the Rooney Family moves him. Keith Butler on the other hand?!?!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather they loose games, than lose games :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Butlers is a good lover coach but sucks as a DC

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh look another Tomlin thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t really get the argument that Tomlin now has an excuse.

Ben going down doesn’t affect the D, or the running game that much. It could be that the team missed some leadership, but it’s not like Ben’s not been questioned on that before.

If we lose games simply because the QB is no good... then it’s on the HC to have a better back up.

So I don’t get where the excuse is. Unless I’ve missed something?

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Exactly...Rotten!Had Superstars for years to carry his sad Ass while he sat there with his arms crossed...

Still not knowing how to manage the clock
    Use timeouts
    Challenges
    Spy on a QB who can run
    LB's still covering receivers
    Best OL in the league lol, can't F@#$in run the ball
    Cut Skipper, keep Suckillo
    Kick a FG when you're getting your Ass handed to you, telling the other team you're gutless ( even though he has a huge one )
    No discipline
    No fundementals

NOW.... We're gonna see what kind of Coach he is...lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

We were a couple missed opportunities from winning yesterday and it’s fire tomlin. Ben over throws holton- fire tomlin
    Ben underthrows juju on the flea flicker - fire tomlin
    Goodgrief gives Seattle 7 - fire tomlin

The defense is on the field for 80 plays largely due to Ben and it’s fire tomlin

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    hey, one can never have enough Bash Tomlin threads...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Difficult to have a rational and logical discussion with individuals who can only focus on the negatives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Pimply????? Is that you man?????? Someone, please find THE All Time Post. We need it desperately. :beg:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I thought this same thing today, but it’s also the Rooney’s who dodged the bullet of having to make the decision at the end of a another disappointing season as whether or not to can him. When the scrutiny comes, they can point to the injury.

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    For those that follow Pat Kirwan like I do, you realize he's always been a huge Tomlin supporter, which burns my ass because I happen to think Kirwan is among the best football minds out there.

Anyway, he has always been very clear with callers to his show that Tomlin isn't going anywhere, and he's been right. Today he said something interesting though. A caller stated he thought the entire coaching staff should be replaced. Kirwan responded with something to the effect of "you may very well see big changes in Pittsburgh in the off season.".

He didn't say it would be Tomlin, but this is the first time he didn't immediately state Tomlin should and would be back. It seems like even the most conservative Tomlin supporters out there are starting to maybe change their tune a little bit.

Kirwan always preaches patience and consistency, but for the first time ever, he had a different tune. Might be a sign of things to come

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A big change would actually be firing somebody anybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I think it’s the exact opposite actually. His job is less secure. I could see them not wanting to bring in a new coach at the end of Ben’s career but now I can see them looking at it as an opportunity and clean slate.

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok, I'll bite...You tell me, In your opinion... What are Tomlins strong points, What does he do well? I pointed out his weaknesses... You can give me a counterpoint, and tell me your side/ opinion

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    No need to feed the uninformed positive information. You place your focus on the negatives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph underthrew Smith-Schuster on that flea flicker, not Roethlisberger.

Also, it was Tomlin's fault Moncrief was on the field. He has a finger injury and it was clear against the Patriots that he can't catch right now, yet there he was in position to screw things up for the team again Sunday. Tomlin finally got it after the interception, benching Moncrief a play too late.

The defense is a disaster, in part because they keep making the same ridiculous mistakes they have been making for years. I'm not just talking about execution. I'm talking about scheme. It's at least partially on Tomlin that Butler is still here. Tomlin spoke about how his team wasn't ready for the opener. How can they not be ready for the Patriots? How is that not the coach's fault?

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Was moncrief cleared to play by the medical staff? Full participant in practice? I’m pretty sure if moncrief isn’t catching the ball in practice he wouldn’t be playing. Butler was an AR2 hire. Butler will get fired when AR2 says so. Our defense was solid for the first half. They got worn down. It happens quite frequently this early in the year. Are there issues? Yes, but it’s far from a disaster as you claim.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No matter what happens this season Tomlin will be here. I want him gone yes. Need a fresh approach instead of a tape loop.

And it's no use arguing with a Tomlin supporter or dragging out what his strengths are. It will always be he never had a losing season. Personally I feel that 8-8 is a losing season.

So who is the blame for this defense? I believe way that it works is the GM picks the players that fit the system and the head coach gets them ready for prime time. (Well except against the Cheats in the opener) Their are exceptions to the rule and I wonder who really has the final say on drafting these players?

Both Colbert and Tomlin as well as the scouts are to blame. All of them. And were just talking about the defense. So how is going to get better with the same? Some like to settle for less. I want to see more, and I know i'm not alone...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Butler and Finchtner are actually both good friends of Tomlin who worked together years ago. So not sure they were entirely AR2 hires.

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I've thought that some of Tomlin's best moments have been when Ben has gone down. Maybe everybody, coaches included, steps it up.

• Like Like x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Working together years ago doesn’t make them good friends. You keep throwing this out there as if there is some factual basis. AR2 kept extending Butler to take over once DL retired.