1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts... W2

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Sep 15, 2019.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    -Ben has had a difficult time moving the football, and finding open receivers. Drops don't help, but his level clearly seems to be down a bit. Natural Question: Is this a post-Clown consequence and just Ben adapting to life without a breakout WR, or a sign of decline? I'm pretty sure its just a process to adapt playing without his longtime top target... we'll see an improvement once he adapts and we move forward from Montcrief.

-Nice debut from Rudolph. Would have loved to see this kid run a comeback drive at the end.

-Good to see D Johnson on that circus catch. This guy needs to see the football coming his way more frecuently. He will learn and grow.

-Snell has had few opportunities, but today he showed determination. Would like to see more of him ahead.

-When our QB tries long passes, even if they are drops or overthrows... I like that on 2nd down. Holton will get one of those. AND, once it happens and becomes a threat, it will get attention away from JJ.

-Juju has a lot of pressure on his head. He's filling a void left by the Clown... but he has not failed yet. His play has been affected by lack of production by other targets, and him drawing too much attention. He will get more and more involved, as other WRs get open... which leads us to:

-Montcrief... another drop, leads to an int and TD. This dude needs to be cut tomorrow 8am.

-Eli Rogers should be a quick fix and upgrade (also over Switzer...), but we need more help (look for another WR elsewhere?).

-Switzer's main asset: reliable hands for PR/KR/ Short routes. No longer returning punts, pass catching for 0 yards, 0 YAC... his spot should be in danger.

-V McDonald should be more involved on the passing game. We all know he has highs and lows, but his size is a difference when looking for targets on the middle of the field. Showed also smart approach on 1st td, helping his new QB.

- Our D created turnovers that gave us short fields. That was great, and kept us in the game. But both of them should have been tds, but lack of discipline and concentration, and awareness kept us from scoring).

-McCullers penalty, lack of discipline. He knew what he was doing. Another 4 pts there...

-3&16... really? Wilson scrambles for 15... Dupree looked slow... Where's Bush spying on him? That's on scheme (yes, and all over Dupree too).

-Frecuently, on 3rd& long our D pressures with 4. With 4? 7 guys covering, and allowing long completions / scrambles. 2nd week this year (and several times last year). Pressure is the key, blitzing should be smarter on this situations (and not being obvious while putting only 4 people close to the LOS. If we are going to pressure with 4, we need to confuse opposing QBs. This defense seems to easy to read for veteran QBs. That 3rd and long had no DB looking to the football and no spy on the QB, that's why Wilson ran so easily...

-Nelson has been playing at high level. Haden has been our top CB, and still plays at high level. But play from our Safeties has been shameful and disregards our whole DB group.

-Edmunds is not a shutdown Safety, not a ball hawk and looks lost, yet with a TE or WR, not near the ball. Nowhere near the production I'd expect from a 2nd year 1st rounder. Really sorry to say this, but he is not going to develop. Lacks of talent.

-Let's be honest: S Davis & Edmunds are not NFL starting safeties. The would be starters only in 3 or 4 other teams. We need help there.

-C Sutton: smart football, great open field tackles on consecutive plays saved us from a FG. Is this guy making enough noise to get more playing time?

-Hilton is a great situational CB, but not a starter. Moving him to safety (as some suggest) is not the answer: great situational CB, playing as a S, will get away his main asset, which is playing close to the LOS.

-Watt is a stud. He is a constant threat to opposing Offenses. But this guy needs help from scheme: 4 men pressure is not going to result in sacks frequently, particularly with our D scheme (LBs covering WRs) and allowing short, quick release from QBs.

-Tuitt: Do we all agree that this guy has really improved? I've seen consistency on his game, and I like it.

-Chikillo and Bush got exposed. Yes, V Williams was injured, but Chikillo is not a starter for a reason. D Bush will need to develop fast, and learn quickly.

-Stop covering TEs with CBs while making our LBs chase speedy WRs... 2nd game in a row that happens.

-Boswell almost had a chance to kick a game winner. Is confidence in him restored? I know Coach T believes in him, but... this guy is one miss away from probably being released. I've liked his approach so far this season.

With all that said:

1) We need to trade for M. Fitzpatrick. A clear upgrade over our S. Give the dolhpins a 1st and a 5th.
    2) Montcrief should go, he is not just killing drives, but also getting reps and opportunities that should go to D. Johnson, or J. Washington.
    3) Bring Eli Rogers back tomorrow 8am (and look for another receiver).
    4) Seriously consider cutting Switzer, and adding another WR. Free agents? Trade?
    5) If Conner is out, Samuels & Snell can handle the duties for a couple weeks.
    6) If Ben is out 2-3 weeks, Rudolph should be able to carry this team meantime.
    7) Our D needs a fix. It's a mix of scheme and personell. Both have solutions...

In short:
    Grab a free agent WR (or trade for him too?)
    Cut Montcrief right away.
    Changes on D are really needed, both scheme and personell. The later will help the former. Trade for help, at S. Specific target: Fitzpatrick.
    And yes, I really believe our O will get going soon... as soon as they (OC, Ben) realize we have not the same weapons and approach needs to be different.

Clearly, missing things. Just watched the game once.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Good expose'. Suggest you rename the thread - "Random Dissertation". I'm spent. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Came here. Not reading a 12 page book to know they stink.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I feel like our running game is really bad, especially considering how good our offensive line is. I don't think the running game was good last year either.

That's ok though, because if you want to win in today's league, you have to be able to throw well. I honestly don't know what to make out of these first two games so far. Nothing stands out other than we look worse than we did last year. Like, tackling seems so bad. The scheme looks the same. Bad. I don't understand what they attempted to do to improve this offseason. They have the same team minus Brown and seem to be significantly worse.

Unpopular opinion, but Cam Hayward seems even more useless this year, though I admit that the front is not the major issue. Its the safety play and lack of scheme.

5. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Any cliff notes? That's too much to read.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just read it stop being a lazy ass lol

Jk

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good write up.

I’m usually opposed to knee jerk reactions after a loss, but this time I’d like to see a decisive action or two. Number one priority has to be Fitzpatrick.

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Saw Foster get manhandled a few times and getting pushed back into our QB on pass plays. Saw Pouncey getting no push on run plays. Only offensive linemen play at pro bowl level is DeCastro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Decastro is the only bully on our line. Everyone else has skates lol