1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst draft in years. It will set us back years!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    When the Patriots offered a 1st and ended up getting him for free? We get played by them time and time again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For a player that will be out of football in two yrs, that's if Belecheat can
    change this players attitude. Which I doubt. So yes give Steelers credit
    for getting what they could. Let's hope he is done sooner than the 2yr time frame I gave him
    to implode.

3. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    This will all change in the next CBA, The whole NFL got played.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How is that the fault of this team? How did the patriots play us? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Raiders were the team that got played.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    "Football isn't about talent, it's about who plays better."
    Cheating Bill

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree with this. But everybody got played but the Patriots. Convenient how this has been the case since Kraft got his friend Goodell to be the commissioner. NFL has become a complete joke.

Steelers too. They never wanted him on the Patriots hence why they turned down a 1st for him.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What the heck are you talking about? They played 1 game, and you're bashing them because the rookies haven't shown anything :facepalm:. Layne and Snell aren't expected to play much this season, they were good value picks, Johnson will be productive this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The Raiders and Steelers were just being ethical business owners.
    AB and his agent circumvented the CBA RULES. This will be stopped
    when the next CBA agreement is finalized. I personally see a hard
    stance taken by players.I don't think the players will be too anxious
    to sign.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I really shouldn't be giving my professional analysis for free...

11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As a Military man who had the responsibility of turning civilians into deciplined fighting machines and you didn't always have the best clay in which to mold, but in every civilian there's Soldier dieing to get out they just need the right leader to lead them. Unfortunately you have to send some packing!!! It starts at the top!!! I belive the players need to buy into what's being sold but what is being sold!!! Losing at this point!!!

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    COLBERT HIRE ME

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Once again.. Bang on analysis from GMDot. I'm going to start charging yearly subscription fees to enter my threads of knowledge.

Right about all of these guys. But this is where I dropped knowledge...

Once they started working Washington over the middle and not running him down the sideline all game he broke out. Also, Metcalf. We have nobody who can make these plays. We keep trying to bring guys in; Cain, Holton, etc. You can find 3-5 DJ's in every draft.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ask anyone in the draft room, I wanted them to draft DK bad but DJ is going to be very good too.

Dionate Johnson
    59 rec 680 yards 5 TD's

DK. Metcalf
    58 rec 900 yards 7TD's

One had Russel Wilson throwing him the ball and the other had Ren and Stimpy throwing him the ball.

I'm perfectly happy having DJ on the team instead. Plus, it allowed them to take Bush.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If I was offered Metcalf in exchange for Johnson right now I wouldn’t take him. There is a chance Johnson turns out to be better overall. JMO

Also worth noting Terry Mclaurin was still on the board when they took Johnson, he went a couple of picks later. Mclaurin is probably better than Metcalf

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    After the off season the class of ‘16 could be down to Dirty Red....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take AJ Brown over Johnson, that dude is a beast.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Now post Dobbs highlights :lolol:

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This thread did not age well at all. More on as to why that was below!!

Devin Bush is a finalist for NFL DROY. In addition, via his mother on Instagram, he is a Pro Bowl Alternate. Great trade overall as I see it. Overall, it will not surprise me if Devin Bush emerges as a Top 5 Off Ball linebacker by seasons end in 2020.

Future is bright for Diontae Johnson. Cleaning up those handling issues though will be key for certain. Once he cleans those up with some more finer details to his craft, look out!!

Justin Layne should now be ready to compete for the backup Corner position. It will be between him and Cameron Sutton. Given the exemplary work done by both Teryl Austin and Tom Bradley, I think Justin Layne becoming a fixture on this team could happen sooner rather than later barring extreme circumstances.

Zach Gentry..... I do not know what to make of. On one hand, I think he can be a good depth player. On the other, I think that, starting in the 2020 Steelers Training Camp, he is on the outside looking in. Going to need to see the "Sophomore Explosion" from him.

Isaiah Buggs looks to be the heir apparent to Tyson Alualu... just not yet. I would give him until the end of the Steelers Preseason to make any final call on that one. In the limited time he was active though, definitely saw improvement.

It is a shame Sutton Smith did not pan out. Injury bug got him good in Training Camp. I am hopeful he comes back as I do think he can be a contributor on Special Teams at the least.

Ulysees Gilbert III was doing well I thought until the injury. Difficult to say how good he can be due to his limited time on defense. He did showcase some high quality traits though in Special Teams. Looking forward to seeing him again.

Derwin Gray is a project. He only saw limited Preseason action the same. It is very difficult to pinpoint how well he will do. However, he was awarded a futures contract with the team, so Tomlin and Colbert both must be pleased with his development thus far. Hopefully he shows more in Training Camp in 2020.

To sum this up, sans Sutton Smith, there is plenty to be excited about as to why this 2019 was a success. An All Pro on Defense, a possible future Pro Bowler on Offense, possibly Joe Haden's heir apparent, Tyson Alualu's heir apparent, Vince Williams likely replacement and a future depth player at Guard constitute as a successful draft in my book. Of course, all of this is nugatory.

Time will tell if the "Sophomore Explosion" will happen for them. However, should that growth development occur, this team will be much better than last year's team.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    McClaurin, Metcalf, Aj, and DJ all had very good rookie seasons. You have to evaluate not only production, but who they were playing with as well. I think DJ made some huge leaps as the seaon went on, and when finally was put in as punt returner started to show some real assets.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Oh yeah, best receiver in the draft, unstoppable after the catch. I didn’t mention him because he was never a realistic pick for the Steelers after the deal to take Bush

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They could have easily had both, Bush and Metcalf. That's the frustrating part.

Thread aged great. I said Bush would be solid, although he disappeared second half the season. I said DJ would be solid but not the receiver we needed. I was correct. I said Snell was a bright spot. I don't know how you get excited about anybody outside of them.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, 2016 is looking really bad a few years later. Probably worse than this class because of Bush. More proof trading up to get quality players is the way to go.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey I’m just happy to see you’re not disagreeing with all my posts still....;) Happy New Year !

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    AJ Brown is a man-child...

• Agree Agree x 1