1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw: Steelers haven't won because of guys like AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sing it TB! He dislikes him as much as we do :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    He doesn't care for cheerleader Tomlin either :smiley1: Gotta love him!

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The ringmaster is only as good as the circus performers. I am starting to think Tomlin would not be a good ringmaster, even though his experience looks good on a resume. The guy that breaths fire would probably catch the elephant's tail on fire.

4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Agree with TB and why I have no interest in the NFL any longer. Act like an A$$ and still get a $15M offer within hours of being released. Too many bad actors who think they’re bigger than the game. Actually, with the Pats signing him, maybe they are. Not for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yep, my interest is fading fast with all I have seen in recent years. Not only the bull**** with personal but some of the horrendous calls made even with instant replay. It's gotten to the point where every TD or punt/kickoff return I'm looking for the flag instead of enjoying it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We may not like AB's antics lately. AB helped this team win a lot of games though. I don't think AB was the reason this team failed to win a SB recently.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Football is the ultimate team sport. When you have selfish me first players that behave like AB, it really takes a toll.

We'll probably never know the depth of everything that went on over the course of his career here but I'm willing to bet it has been pretty jaw dropping.

TB isn't the first to say this, I'm going to pay attention to the guys who have won championships on what it takes to win one when they say guys like AB are an impediment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is the culprit with some things but the buck stops with Art II. It is no coincidence that things started going sideways when Dan Rooney relinquished the reins.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Along with a whole lot of other people, except for the one that counts the most. Rooney

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree football is a team sport. I doubt the TEAM failed because of one highly productive great player. One player doesn't equal team.

As you said we don't know the depth of the issues. Neither does TB. It's all speculation. Apparently AB was kept under control for the large part of his Steelers career.

If AB was that much of an impediment the Steelers wouldn't had won any games, wouldn't had competed for championships, and AB would had been gone sooner. What's clear is that AB made this team better when he was on the field.

I doubt AB was a reason this team failed to win a championship. I don't believe TB believes that either. TB just hates the way AB conducted his business to get what he wanted.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t follow him loads, but I’ve noticed Bradshaw is rarely the first to say anything. His comments seem to appear after an event, and get lauded by people who already held his view.

Happy to be wrong on this, mind.

I agree with some of what he says here, but I don’t think he’s making particular insight on the inner workings of the recent steelers.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Team sport? 1,000%. I can attest to it. I just find it hilarious that everyone and I mean everyone LOVED them some AB.
    Go back to the game threads. Now because of what happened in week 17 ,he’s the reason we didn’t win a SB? Yeah it sucks to have the best WR in football for 6-7 years. No one in their right mind can defend his actions from that point but I’m pretty sure while he was here the positives far outweighed the negatives or like you said, he’d be gone.

Team sport? Yup still. You win as a team, you lose as a team. If you’re a big enough man to get the credit. You’re a big enough man to get the blame. On this team there’s plenty to go around. It’s human nature to want to know who,what,why and how. It’s comforting being able to pinpoint the cause when things don’t work out but like most times there’s usually more than one reason and this is another example of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s life in general though, you latch onto to those who share your view.

I don’t think TB is pinning it all on AB and he said guys like him, guys who aren’t team first. Mitchel and Bell come to mind as selfish me first guys. I’m sure I could list others if I spent time thinking of their rosters over the years.

All I’m saying is I am not going to be dismissive of guys who know what it’s like to be in an NFL locker room and who have won championships. TB isn’t the first to say players like AB are a detriment to a teams ultimate goal.

It makes sense to me and I believe to most GMs considering the lack of interest in a guy that supposedly is so spectacular in talent that it supersedes all other concerns.

14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Aside from the extremely poor defense, Ben is another reason why we have not won lately ...proof is in the pudding ...as recently as last year when he recklessly ended a few games with a pick in the redzone

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hindsight is a mofo... Across the board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The defense has been up and down. That's pretty much what we can expect in a league that favors offense. The days of consistently dominating defenses are probably over.

Ben's turnovers and a poor kicking game were probably the key factors in why the team didn't make the playoffs last season.

Ben and several players on offense didn't play well vs NE. As a result I believe it had an effect on the defense. One of the best ways to beat the Pats is by keeping Brady off the field.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh, did we all forget, that he didn't like Ben either?! ... lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We have short memories. AB made us better. AB won alot of games for us , thats just a fact. Maybe look at his stats if you need a reminder. He scores TD’s and made clutch plays few WR’s are capable of. When we lost AB to injuries our offense struggled. Last week did nothing to dispel that thought.

Is a selfish a hole? Obviously. His memory is also short . He forgot were he came from and also fails to appreciate the fact that Ben, our O-line, other WR’s and RB’s also made him better .

We do not have more SB’s because the Steelers coaching staff and FO failed to get the most out of their talent. We did not lose many games because of lack of talent. Our losses 9x out of 10 were attributed to miscues, sloppy play, poor preparation, and lack of focus . If you have watched every game you cant argue otherwise. Mike Tomlin is the reason we dont win playoff games. We had the talent. With AB and Bell gone I fear that window has closed . This may be the first season Tomlin and co will be asked to win with less. Hopefully that pressure brings out his best . It will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I agree with TB to a point. The players in the NFL have to much say as to what decisions are made on the field. The coaching in the NFL has declined and allowing the players to make game deciding decisions. Teams with great coaches that control there players win superbowls. Patriots dont have the most talent but have the best coach and players that believe he is making decisions to win and definitely in charge. Mike Tomlin hasn't proven to make good decisions when the team needs him the most and his players know this

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re underestimating the importance of teamwork and chemistry

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice post! This teams only chance to win a SB is if they prepare and focus like they’ve never done before. So far they failed their first test miserably. It certainly looks like the preparation and focus aren’t where they need to be yet. Let’s see how they perform today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yeah...he pegged that cheerleader crap...and he is correct.

23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    That's what we supposedly have right now and the team looks worse than it ever did with him on it. Especially the offense. They got a spark thanks to mason but if ben doesnt go down this game never is even close.

24. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This point cannot be overlooked. Art II is simply riding the coat tails. He definitely is nothing like his old man or his grandfather. He needs to step up and grow a pair and fire some folks after this year.

If he does not, then we know the fix is in and he is simply happy making money off of the Steeler tradition and is satisfied with mediocrity.

rutan

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

So did Boswell.