1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst draft in years. It will set us back years!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 28, 2019.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Using a draft pick on a long snapper, the first one drafted by anyone in a dozen years and one that didn't make the team, might indicate otherwise.

But I get where you're going. Draft pick pans out, great pick by Colbert. Draft pick busts, crappy coaching by Tomlin. (sheesh)

2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Why is their a "D" in your avatar name? Shouldn't it simply be "SOT"?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The only way the Patriots relate to the Steelers' draft is that they were the beneficiaries of Pittsburgh passing on Winovich to take Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Is there anything more pointless than a power ranking in April? Some teams will perform better than expected in 2018, others will falter or suffer too many injuries etc. It’s week 8 before we know how the season shapes up really. There are just too many variables to rank teams with any credibility now.

Steelers have a good chance of making the playoffs in my opinion. They will need a few things to fall their way but they are not far behind the teams at the top of that ranking, they should have beaten both the Saints and the Chargers last year but for ludicrous officiating errors, and they beat the Patriots.

How big a loss Brown is remains to be seen yet. You have to be able to work around losing talent, and I think they have improved in other areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The only reason I brought up the Patriots is because 1) I've always said Colbert is the best GM in the league even better than Beli and 2) I normally feel amazing after the draft because we usually do pretty well and the Patriots get a bunch of nobodies.

This was not the case this draft. I'm looking at our position, best in years and there's worst out of everybody. We targeted all the same positions and they got better players. I'm just confused how this happened.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are assuming that because they targeted the same position that it means they both had the same roles in mind for their draft picks. Steelers targeted ILB as a starting need. CB was a depth signing as was Olb. WR was another multifaceted role for them where the Pats were looking for starter quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Baltimore is a 7-9 team at best. Every team is gonna stack 8 in the box and dare Jackson to throw, which he can’t.

Cleveland is the team we have to worry about and if the Bungles had a defender they would be in the conversation as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers will lose one of the games vs. Ravens. Something will screw up and crap the bed... either the D or special teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Cleveland you say?! Interesting. I do agree that, on paper they have become much stronger.

However and, I cannot believe I am saying this, to paraphrase Mark Madden;

"Until proven otherwise, the Browns are the Browns. Regardless of the shiny new moves they have made, at the end of the day, all that I see are a bunch of football cards masquerading as a team. It takes more than talent to win. Dont believe me?!

Ask the Steelers on how that worked out."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If this draft ends up like 2008... then it will be a bad draft. Mendenhall was the only player who contributed from that class. If Bush is the only pick from '19 that contributes, then yeah... it will be a bad draft. But... there's many minicamps, camps, preseasons and regular seasons to go before we can make an accurate judgment on the 19 class.

I would say the '17 draft class is the one we should be bragging about. That was a good draft. Obviously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Like I said... Best draft position in years. Lost arguably the best WR and RB in the league. We got one starter out this draft this year.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think balt is better than us righ tnow

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Somebody better tell Jackson he can’t throw and soon:smiley1:

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, a lot of horrible takes in here except the one person who was treated like he was delusional. I wish I was wrong but the tape didn't lie. But hey, the media loved our draft!!!

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You're taking a victory lap after 1 game? Really?

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    was going to go with a single but I think this one deserves double

:facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Right? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What's going to magically change? We got 1 starter in a closing window. Then a bunch of projects who might be solid in 2-3 years. For me to be wrong... Moncrief would have to explode and win us a few games. Seeing how he already had his butterfingers all over the 1st loss. Metcalf would have to hit a wall. Who btw had 4 catches for 89 yards and a long of 42 in his 1st NFL game. Sure couldn't use that right now... How is Moncrief going to stretch the field if he can't catch?

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When exactly did we draft Moncrief?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm waiting to see how they do against somebody other than Miami.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The big excuse for holding onto all these late round picks and getting Metcalf stolen from us by one pick because the Patriots traded it to the Seahawks. Because the Pats knew we needed that type of player is because we had Moncrief. Apparently we didn't need the freak athlete to stretch the field who is basically a Martavis Bryant with an actual head on his shoulders. Because apparently Moncrief was going to be the one to stretch the field. He can't even catch, let alone get enough separation to Bens liking. We could of had Bush, Metcalf, and Chase Wino. 3 impact players and ended up with Bush and D Johnson/Justin Layne who will never see the field.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Broh.. He has a nagging dislocated thumb injury that likely is factoring into his woes. Give him a freakin break.. These posts never age well .. You will see lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    When did this happen because once again I saw nothing from him all camp/preseason. Why wouldn't he just let it heal at camp? The whole situation makes no sense to me.

I've been pretty spot on about this whole draft and what this team needs to this point. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, no, they could not have had Bush, Metcalf and Winovich. Metcalf was taken in the second round, before the first of the Steelers two third-round selections.

I was going to go into how silly it is to write off an entire draft class after one game, but really, that mistake alone seems to discredit your point of view.