1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer is overrated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2019.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'd rather the ball go to Switzer than Moncrief at this point, but I'd rather the ball go to JuJu, DJ, JW, McD, Connor, Samuels and probably even Grimble than either of those two, at least until Moncrief shows he can catch a ball with his hands.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Moncrief is going to make things right. He had a hurt finger.:huh:

"Moncrief is still dealing with a dislocated middle finger sustained early in training camp, but nonetheless expects more from himself than he delivered in New England."

https://www.steelers.com/news/my-worst-game-ever

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Switzer is the perfect guy to run misdirection plays to IF the run game is clicking. Like on the goal line play you put Banner in on an unbalanced line with Mac next to him and Switzer the lone receiver, sell the sweep to the right hard and the whole defense flows to stop it, throw it to Switzer on the fake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    OK, I'm not reading through 5 pages of bash Switzer BS. But if you think he is overrated for the $645k he is getting paid, you are out of your ever loving mind. He does his job, catches punts, picks up tough yards in the slot, and takes a licking and keeps coming back for more. If you expect him to be a field stretching, extra yac getting, marquis WR, then you are all wet. He does the job well that he is getting paid to do. Some of you need to get a damn grip on reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This thread reminds me of the Jesse James argument.
    He did exactly what was asked of him, and he was hated for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Since everyone has their own opinion on this topic, I found this post interesting. You have Brady>Ben and Edelman>Switzer in your opinion. So what if you moved some pieces of the equation around. Brady - Switzer and Ben - Edelman. Using your math would that mean that their is a chance for the equation to look like this: Brady>Ben and Switzer>Edelman? I don't think it is really as big a leap as you might think. Brady has been doing this with this type of receiver for as long as I can remember. Before Edelman it was that little guy that Clark used to like to lay out (can't think of his name).

7. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For S&Gs I pulled their respective stats for each of their first two seasons. Edelman cut his teeth with the Pats way back in ‘09.

Edelman:
    26 games with a hat
    Receiving: 44 Rec, 445 yds, 1 TD
    KR: 11 returns, 241 yards
    PR: 27 returns, 384 yards, 1 TD

Switzer:
    32 games with a hat
    Receiving: 42 Rec, 294 yards, 1 TD
    KR: 54 returns, 1,207 yards
    PR: 59 returns, 508 yards

Edelman’s numbers are better, yes. But they’re not stupid better. Remember, Switzer’s rookie year was with a 2nd year Dak in a mediocre season. Edelman built up his trust with his QB over time and became the #1 target. He had 4 years to learn under Wes Welker, one of the best slot receivers in history.

There was a white receiver that played for the Steelers a half dozen or so years ago, and to my recollection was relegated to the 45 late in the season via injuries. He caught a 3rd down pass in the middle of the field for a first down on a crucial drive. I remember threads on this board suggesting he could be the next Wes Welker. For the life of me I can’t remember his name.

**Edit: It was Tyler Grisham in 2009, and not this board but the old board**

I suppose my point is this...give the kid time, at least this season before we throw him under the bus. A receiver that can catch a pass in traffic for a first down is a luxury for this team right now. JuJu, Moncrief (please!), Washington, and DJ should get the YAC. Wayne Chrebets still have a place too.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. There’s also the possibility that Switzer was the only guy open on a lot of those plays, or at least open and able to catch.

Of all the targets for people’s rage, this one was probably the least expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When James Conner and Washington and Dionte and Mcdonald
    are not used as was the case Sunday you are going to see this type of scoring.

HINT to Fichtner/ Ben use and play your best players Switzer is not one of them,
    he brings nothing to the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think you're right. Talent is not the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Stalker.......:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

And It was Wes Welker

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn’t realize there was math involved. Holy hell Edelman is the better player period. I’m not bashing Switzer. Like many others are saying he needs to be the 4th or 5th option because if he isn’t we’re in trouble. That’s all. That’s it and it’s OK . He is a different type of WR he couldn’t do what Edelman does. He’s simply not built for it. They’re not the same type of receiver Edelman has 2” and 20 lbs and is much more physical that’s a big difference .

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I would rather they bring someone off the bench then to have to witness that drubbing again. I heard the waterboy can catch a ball

15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Oh...got it.

So not overrated per se, but over utilized relative to his abilities.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he isn't overrated, but if he's getting six targets a game, this offense is in trouble. I have heard many say the same thing about Switzer, including on The Terrible Podcast, and from fans on twitter.

17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Edelman's regular season numbers are never good. It's why he never made a pro bowl nor all pro while welker consistently made both in NE. But he gets his money in the postseason. Hes second to the goat Jerry rice in yards and catches in the playoffs. Trying to compare their regular season numbers doesnt tell the whole story but a lot of people throw around just numbers like numbers don't have context behind them. It's why some guys with not as good numbers made the hall of fame over others with better numbers. But dont get me wrong I'm not bashing Switzer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not a lot of targets :lolol:

He had 30 yards, if he gets 50 a game thats 800 yards for the season, thats a good thing and very attainable.

They have a lot of catches and yards to make up with the loss of AB. Spread the wealth.

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    And I wasn't arguing what you believe. I clearly understand that you think Edelman is the better the receiver. I just found your post interesting. My contention is that you wouldn't really know until Brady was throwing Switzer passes. You can speculate and are probably right, but look at all the receivers across the NFL. There is all kinds of shapes, sizes, and production. I'm not sure 2" and 20 lbs is the difference here. Anyhow, I wasn't really meaning to ruffle your feathers if i did.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah man ,no way, you didn’t ruffle my feathers. I do think 2” and 20 lbs is a considerable difference though and Edelman plays bigger and much more physical. Edelman was a former QB as well and I think his athleticism gets overlooked because he’s white honestly and like someone else said I think that’s where the comparison tries to stem from. To me that’s where the comparison starts and ends.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's only 5 ypc :shrug:

22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Switzer is at best a gimmick guy on offense. He can get his little 2 yard passes and that is fine if we need 2 yards but otherwise when you throw the ball to him you are automatically ensuring that the offense does not get a big play. Dude is the antithesis of a big play guy. I'd be thrilled as a defense if the opposing offense felt the need to feed the ball to Switzer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Of take that 5 yds per catch clear down the field. Brady will be patient until you come to stop it and then he will attack where that stopper came from. Ben is not that patient. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Or the inevitable penalty will be called on us and now all of a sudden that 5 yds just became 15yds. Now that’s the guy we’re trying to find in our offense to make it click. Switzer is not that guy.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben is not that guy at this point in his career.:cool: