1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Obi Melifonwu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Doubled over maybe

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s the problem. You can’t just plug players in at FS it takes a certain skill set. I’m highly skeptical that guy is anywhere on our roster.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If that is the case, then I have nothing for you my man. Sean Davis needs to get better in a hurry. For a guy in a contract year, he REALLY cannot afford to miss any time.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Never felt he was the answer either but at the moment he’s probably the best we have.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no probably about it. Davis is by far the best option on the roster. I'm sure the Steelers lose with him, but his absence was part of why the defense looked so helpless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    After one game we're talking about nexts years draft. That'll tell you how bad that game was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fair enough concerning Watt. No one else did much of anything though? I’m not necessarily trying to rip our defense, but the point is everyone likes to pile on Bud when he did no less than the rest of the defense.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes yes and hell yes. :dancing::cool:

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who's spot is he taking though?! Sean's?! That is asking for some trouble. Grant is best suited as a true hyrbid player a la Troy.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was a bad game and coaching was my biggest concern going into the season and still by biggest concern after last night but that didn't stop me from putting $500 on the Steelers today to win the SB :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I have been very supportive of Bud actually. I really thought he turned the corner given what we were shown in the Pre-Season. Now, that being said, it should be to the surprise of no one that the team started off slow.

However, Bud got manhandled by essentially a rookie. I thought he could do better. I hope he does better in the future.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    ShamelessBareGopher-size_restricted.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    No more defensive players. Butler is killing their careers lol

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What would this be his third team in 2 years? Obviously he can't play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    At a minimum, kelly. Dangerfield. Burns. Maybe Davis if we can't sign him.:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After what we saw Sunday, you may get a better payoff from flushing that $500 down a toilet.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no use rushing that high ankle sprain. Those things need time to heal. Hilton at fs. Move burns out to hadens spot. Let the rookie take his lumps on the other side and let Nelson and sutton man the slots. :cool:

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Playing Grant though at FS off the bat would be troubling. That being said, i do understand where you are coming from. If anything, should Delpit somehow be available, have him as a contingency plan for Terrell Edmunds should he showcase little improvement.

Said scenario will be just like what the team is going through currently with T.J. Watt. He was not just a James Harrison replacement. He is also Bud Dupree's.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He can play either spot. Why mess with edmunds? We may not have money for Davis next year. We need some safety help. Drop it is probably the best in the country this year.:cool:

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You mean they actually game planned? What's that?

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He could. Not saying he could not.

However, his maximum potential lies in being a hybrid defender who is closer to the LOS. Him being a Single High Free Safety or even a deep middle third is not entirely solving the issue. It would be delaying the inevitable.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    His best attribute is his coverage as a single high safety. Not sure where you are getting that's he is better around the LOS though he can play there or spot coverage as well. His coverage skills are fantastic. :cool:

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Probably due to the fact that his best impact plays have come from that area of the field since his Freshman Season. As I said, Grant Delpit can create plays as a single high; anywhere really. My whole point as that Grant's maximum potential will be unleased when he is used a la Derwin James/Jamal Adams style.

A great overall player he will be no doubt. An elite Free Safety?! That is difficult to judge. Last true single high I ever saw was Malik Hooker.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I would take OBI in a heartbeat this group of safeties we have stink. Mak did we really dress Kelly to play vs Brady????? I am hearing the Raiders are looking at Eric Berry with Abrams going down.......what was wrong with us looking at him????? Also what was wrong with taking a look at Iloka or even the kid many of us were hot for 2 years ago Josh Jones? Our safety spot needs help, has needed help for awhile and guys like Kelly and Dangerfield are no answer. Why have guys on the roster that when in don't offer nothing.........SOS please send help!!!!!!!1

• Like Like x 1