1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wish Ben was more willing to prep myself Steelers 304, but him & Marsha are two very different cats on how they win games.
    You probably not wrong, but the bed has been made for the next few seasons imo. I hope the plan gets Ben another SB before he leaves.

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I know I will get killed for this but I didnt completely read the OPs statement but I agree with his point. I believe there's level to elite qbs. I think you have the tier 1 guys like a montana, manning, brady, etc.. who no matter who is around them can elevate a team to be in contention for sb. Then you have the other guys who are great but cant elevate a team and need pieces around them in order for them to succeed in the win column. Ala troy aikman, Bradshaw, etc.. those guys. Ben is in that 2nd class. He already isnt a good leader and he also inst capable of carrying a team with decent to above average talent. Hes a great player but hes not on that top tier level of qb. He needs other parts around him to succeed and now is the first time we dont have top tier elite talent on either offense or defense. Once we didnt have a top tier defense we still won and made the playoffs most of the last few years because we had the best rb and wr in the nfl and most thought those 2 guys were top 5-10 overall players in the nfl. Now that's not the case and we have a average defense along with a probably above average offense to be generous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I understand what you’re saying. I’ve hated Neil O’Donnell since I was five years old. Saw them struggle with QB play until Ben arrived. But something seems off with him. Gameplan didn’t help, but He had time in the pocket, I don’t understand why he couldn’t connect , aside from Moncrief stinking it up. It’s another loss in NE. The AFC runs through there unfortunately. We have a QB that can’t get it done there. Most can’t but after a while it’s frustrating. The QB outside of the drops struggled to sustain a drive. Maybe I’m crazy for expecting more out of a 30 mil a year guy and HOF QB. These issues are more than one game I will say that also. I’m not saying trade him now, but In the off-season I would explore that, everything is earned in life, if Ben wants to retire so be it but the Steelers shouldn’t be loyal to the fault if this trend continues

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had time, but he didn't have receivers getting open and he did have receivers dropping passes. I'm not saying Roethlisberger played well, but I'm a lot more concerned about the receivers than I am about him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd give the chance at Ben being traded about 3%. Basically zero, but you never know. But I'll play the "what if" game just because it's fun. IF Tomlin was fired after the season and the new HC wanted to go in another direction with QB, I could see Tampa as a landing spot. That makes a lot of sense. But the Rooney's would really have to want that new HC in order to part with Big Ben, never mind the compensation from Tampa (or whoever). I think it would have to be a disastrous season for either to happen.

My worst fear is they get a wild hair and trade Ben during the season. This would give Tomlin an excuse as to why the team had a bad season and he would never get fired. He'd have a ready made excuse. But just like I said with firing the HC midseason, they won't trade Ben midseason either. It's just not how they are wired.

But I still don't see Ben traded without a HC change in the offseason. Even then its slim. Now if Ben goes down for 3-4 games and Rudolph lights it up?? Maybe that % grows some.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :noose:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    FIFY

• Like Like x 2
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Lot of good points made here. Actually I agree with you. I too think Ben has checked out and there is lack of talent on this team. That is why I predicted 6-10. Thank you Ben for making the Steelers relevant again but IMO it's time to start anew.

10. decalbomb777

decalbomb777 Active Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Meh...Ben struggles every year at the beginning of the season.
    IMO He our only hope right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably :smiley1:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    A couple years I would have said trading Ben would be crazy but now I'm just tired of the same old same old. Yes I know we could be terrible after he's gone but we're gonna get there sooner rather than later so why delay the inevitable. But I guess ownership believes we have a chance to win it all which is kinda sad and delusional.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If you don’t think we can win it all, why even follow the team?

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The same could be said about the Pirates, a much better example, why does anybody follow them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The better question would be, why does anyone follow baseball at all?
    But, that’s just me.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm with you there. I don't even like good baseball. But with the Steelers idk I guess I'm just waiting for something to turn this franchise around. I don't get as an owner why you wouldn't have more pride. But I guess when you make billions regardless maybe it's hard for them to get excited.

17. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow. So let's trade our HOF QB. It's all his fault. He is the reason we have a WR 2 at the WR 1 spot and a bunch of WR 3s and 4s behind him. It's Bens fault that we have a backup RB as the starter. If Ben was a better QB, Vance McDonald wouldn't get hurt every year. The reason the WRs can't get any separation is because Ben doesn't care. The reason the coaches didn't prepare the team in all phases to compete with the world champs is because Ben didn't practice hard enough in the preseason. The reason that Bud Dupree can't beat a rookie is because Ben didn't do enough conditioning in training camp. The reason the secondary let multiple big chunk pass plays is because Ben didn't do enough film study. The reason that the kicker went on a mental walkabout last year was because Ben didn't seem as into it as he should. The reason that Butler was totally outcoached by the Pats is because Ben doesn't know how to adapt during the game. Come to think of it, we should just release Ben immediately as he is holding back the world class coaching staff and front office from achieving the greatness they deserve.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Tomlin never has a losing record...

• Like Like x 1
  19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm more concerned about the gameplan than any of it. As well as the refusal to adjust as needed. Dropped passes hurt things for sure but if the current in game plan is not working switch **** up! Get others involved, other packages involved etc... Short ball coming out of shotgun and 5 wide is ridiculous. If nix was banged up so be it challenge the men and go to work!

Bottom line is, ATLEAST DIE TRYING... SOUNDLY!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The whole thread is downright silly, but because I have nothing better to do, we are eating over 20 mill this year because we traded Ab. Trading Ben would amount to the same thing this and next year. Ben is still a top 10 in this league, when he is on higher than that. They paid him, we got him for at least 2 more years.

21. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018

Flip flop Bellichek and Tomlin the last 15 years, who has more rings?

22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we should trade the whole franchise. Let's send the entire team to Iowa where they can play in the middle of a cornfield. I know some of you will say that I'm not sincere here and only want to move the team closer to where I live so I can watch them easier...and you would be correct!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your delusional. Go settle down, take a couple sleeping pills and
    hope you get better with a good sleep.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no idea and neither do you.There are far too many variables involved. Judging individual players solely by rings is sloppy and inaccurate at best anyway.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You have a point but Belicheat is in a league of his own. He has proven that.