1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike McCarthy??????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Think outside the box - what about

Eric Mangini
    Pat Shurmur
    Rob Chudzinski
    Mike Pettine
    Hue Jackson...?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd be surprised if the team doesn't pull together a decent run, with some hiccups on the way.

I also agree that, barring injury, we won't see a move towards Mason. And that's good for his development as well - being put in ahead of the franchise QB adds a pressure he doesn't need, given the first bad pass he throws people will be calling for Ben to be put back in. Hell, CardiganSweater on the old board was calling for Maddox to be reinstated constantly in Ben's first season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think they will put a run together too and they will be in playoff contention barring injuries.

The problem as somebody pointed out in another thread is that the Pats have the #1 seed in the bag due to having the easiest schedule in the league and one of the best rosters. I can’t see anybody beating them in Foxborough, not even a full strength Chiefs. The only thing that would change that is an injury to Brady. I don’t think the Steelers have a SB roster anyway, but it’s still nice to dream that if everything goes right you have a shot.

4. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the only way to beat the Pats at Foxboro is to go all out on a strategy that Bellichick hasn't anticipated.

If we were to be deliberately and naively optimistic, we could say at least we haven't wasted that potential strategy in the regular season...

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mike Holmgren still kicking?

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    8-8 is the standard. You know the whole never had a losing record mantra.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Probably still complaining about SB 40.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They should fire butler today and hire jack del rio to coach this defense, and next year fire tomlin and make jack the head coach....

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought about him as I was watching some NFL network. I'd like to see what he could do as a DC. He's expressing some interest in the USC job I heard. He was offered it back in the late 2000s supposedly.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Munchak

Or unpopular pick, Jim Harbaugh. Guy can coach. I think he is the most hated man on the planet though.

Who knows, maybe he would like the idea of beating his brother twice a year.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He's got his own NE to beat first. OSU. Absolutely not hairball. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    since we are talking 'offensive' Josh McDaniels...... I'll :noose: before that day happens

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not that we have to worry about it anytime soon because as long as Tomlin is 8-8 he isn’t going anywhere especially if he’s under contract. When’s the last time we fired a coach under contract , any coach?
    I’d be willing to give Munchak a shot but not as long of a leash our HCs are accustomed to getting. I’m not sure Munchak is much of a innovator so his coordinators would need to be. Whenever someone new does get hired they have to be with the times of today’s NFL A disciplinarian would be fine but then the coordinators need to be top notch.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude is overrated, never won anything :facepalm:. He didn't get any consideration for all those job openings in the offseason, that should tell you something.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That would turn me off to Del Rio campaigning for another coach job, while the current USC HC is there, that's something you're not supposed to do in the coaching profession.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Josh would accept the job, then he would change his mind at the last minute like he did to the Colts :shrug:.

17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Rams had a better offense than the Steelers last year, and had 2 weeks to prepare.
    And they scored the same number of points as the Steelers did.

The Dolphins got those picks from a team that doesn't have a GM at the moment.
    (Too bad the Texans didn't need a WR the way they needed linemen.)

There were better offers for AB (like from the Bills), but AB ruined them.

The comp pick for Bell hasn't been decided yet, so that was disingenuous to include him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    At this point i would take Jenny McCarthy over MT

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He said he's supportive of HC Helton, and just said "if and when" an opportunity arose.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah translation he's interested in the job :shrug:.