1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

@NE Postgame Loss Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 8, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh but Brown was going to win a Super Bowl with Raiders? Get out of here with that nonsense.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Probably because they will game plan to stress that center and rookie tackle. If the Pats go with their dollar look again I'm betting Miami will counter with two TE sets and pound the rock.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I may have mentioned this on a different thread, but many of those early plays for Samuels he was on the field with Conner. There was speculation about both of them playing together before the opener. I didn't care for the idea then and it certainly didn't work last night.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I saw that as well. I just thought RF should have let JC30 get in his groove a little before giving Samuels carries. Rex Burkhead looked quicker than Samuels for crying out loud.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When you mention a play earlier in the game, are you talking about the possible interception that bounced off his hands? Watch it again. The ball was thrown right to him and he was late reacting to it. He just threw his hands up, but that lack of focus is why he couldn't intercept it.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Safety's played terrible both of them. I keep screaming for FS help for years.
    yet we make no attempt at quality FA's Baltimore sign's a future HOF.
    He makes the Steelers a deep playoff team. Shame on you Steelers.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they should go into every game trying to establish Connor, Ju Ju, and Vance in every game....
    Samuels and Switzer should not be getting that many looks.

It is criminal Vance didn't get 1 target until 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    No...I never said he would win anything with the Raiders. That's why the Steelers sent him there. Not what AB wanted but they paid him the $$$. He obviously wanted a competitive team like the Pats.

Regardless you know damn well Tomlin isn't winning anything for the rest of his career here.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Sadly I would too.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If we dont want to risk injury to Ben than throw Mason in there and have Nix line up directly behind him to keep pushing.

Not being able to run and convert 3rd and 4th and 1s is embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Count me in for Harbaugh too. Dude was a good NFL coach, college not so much

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It's one of those series plays that you need to set up for it to be effective. If you put dual backs in the backfield and throw to them every time the defense will read that every time. Especially with the Patriots who keep track of everything. They need to run draws and fakes to both. A wheel route or two with one of them so that the defense is unsure what's coming. I have never known Ben to be the type to set up plays like that so it's a waste. It's like the 3 fake reverses to Logan and handing to Mendenhall everytime. Only reason to do it 3 timed in one game is on the 4th you can let Logan have it for a big gain.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes the one in Baltimore.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Was it just me or did Pouncey give up on that one running play that Jamie Collins sniffed out and blew up. I think Pouncey was supposed to pull and open the lane but Collins beat him to the gap and made the play and Pouncey just sort of pulled up and stopped. Granted the play was basically over but his body language seemed to say I give up why even bother.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We almost never use plays to set up others. It’s more like we pick plays out of a hat. I remember times when Haley was here and our O seemed to be clicking it was because we were setting up plays. It was never consistent and didn’t last long. It always reverted back to bombs away time. Last season all of our early success especially in the RZ was due to running the football. Conner got hurt and that was the end of that or even trying. Now we are starting the season how we left off and it’s not good. Show me a team who can’t consistently convert short yardage and I’ll show you a team that isn’t going very far.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I meant the one with the Ravens

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I know it's been discussed here before, but I can't figure out why Ben won't try play action before 'bombs away'.
    The score was 10-0 last night when NE took possession at their own 35, ran a couple times then went play action (perfectly executed) 3 plays in a row for a TD to make 17-0 and basically ice the game before halftime. I don't think Ben tried PA once, and Brady was doing out of shotgun at various times (not that drive though). Collinsworth broke down how the play action got Edmunds to take a half step in the wrong direction which put him out of position on the TD pass.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats like the Jags offense three years ago. They ran Fournette and did high percentage/low risk plays and once every 15 they let Bortles chuck it and if it didn't work Fournette for 6, Fournette for 2 and a quick slant to the TE on 3rd. It was boring but highly effective

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They don’t seem interested in running a efficient ,ball control offense. Instead of trying to control TOP and keep the D rested they want to try and score early and make the other team as one dimensional as possible. They have no desire or the patience for dink and dunk. They can’t run read option with Ben. He clearly doesn’t like play action and no patience for dink and dunk. The O has no identity. They claim they want to be multi dimensional as a offense but they’re not.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s a copycat league but you can’t teach a old dog new tricks.

21. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ding, ding, ding!!

I have been saying this for YEARS. In the NFL, mediocrity pays. The Rooney's no longer care about winning. They might talk a good talk, but the evidence is pretty clear that they are satisfied with the status quo.

As I said in another thread, it is meaningless in today's NFL if you win or lose. Due to revenue sharing, no team goes in the red. So, as long as the league remains popular and the TV monies are there, then there is really no incentive to "win". I know of no team that is losing money. If there is one, I'd like to know it.

It is a business and businesses exist to make money. Period. So, if the Rooney's are making money with a crappy team, who really cares? The fans will still come out and pack Heinz field, they will sell a boat load of jerseys and fan junk to boot. Oh yea, when the natives get restless, they will trod out some Steeler greats from the 70's and everyone will wave their towels and feel better.

Yep, live in the past. Bring up those rings from the 70's. That's all we have now is distant memories of greatness. Welcome to mediocrityville. Hey, I enjoyed the run in the 70's too but it is getting old that we have to lean on that legacy almost 50 years ago.

rutan

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Not pointless at all. It keeps the mods from having to merge dozens of threads right after a loss. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A lot of truth there

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It wouldn't even have to be dink and dunk. Get the secondary to bite on a play fake, then 'bombs away'. I guess they don't have the patience to soften the D up first, before they'll bite.
    I was fading by the end of the 4th quarter, but up until that point I only recall Ben being under center once, maybe twice (the one I remember was the Steelers first play). The other thing he barely did last night was pump fake. Ben used to be masterful at that, and it worked.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know man Ben looks more interested in Dunkin Donuts

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1