1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers improved from last year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Sep 2, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I noticed some of the camera angles and depths had changed during preseason. I like being able to see what the secondary is doing pre-snap and during development of the play.
    NFL game pass offers the games (replays) from elevated and end zone view. It's not as good as being there live, but it's something.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Addition by subtraction. Better off without the 2 cancerous tumors named Brown and Bell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't always true. Receivers have to beat coverage or find openings in the zone. Nobody on the current team beats man coverage as consistently as Brown did. Being less predictable in terms of where the ball is going is great, but talent matters, too.

4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Is Mike TOMLIN still the head coach?

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I realize it is comforting to say Ben forced the ball to AB because he had no choice and knew that AB had the better chance of making something of those forced passes, but it is just as likely, because know of us here will every really know, that Ben realized how fragile AB was and felt compelled to get him the ball to maintain a relationship built on glass. Not that any of AB's current behavior would lead you to believe AB is mentally fragile or only interested in himself though.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You don't think our other receivers are talented? AB didn't catch all the league leading yardage from Ben last year all by himself.:cool:

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Guess were all going to find out Sunday night.

The defense looks faster. The addition of Bush and Barron have solidified the middle. Nelson needs to be the solid#2 we brought him in to be. Haden staying healthy is key. Hilton and Sutton round it out. The D Line is solid. Tuitt is the key. TJ Watt will take his game to a different level. Dupree, well lets wait and see. Hopefully Ola can get some playing time. I'm looking forward seeing how Cameron Kelly fares. The future of the free safety position possibly. Edmonds should take a step up.

As far as the offense I like the addition by subtraction analogy. Without the freak show it seems the offense can now move to a more balanced attack. the keys are Ben limiting picks as well as Conner staying healthy and Washington showing that pre season was not a fluke. They arguably have the best offensive line. The scary issue is if McDonald goes down.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say they weren't talented. I said they weren't as good as Brown at beating man-to-man coverage and they aren't. That's not a knock on them. There are very few receivers in the NFL who do that as well as Brown.

Don't forget that league-leading yardage came in part because they threw too much and ran too little, which left the team near the bottom of the NFL in rushing. Smith-Schuster and McDonald are still there, but none of the other receivers have shown ability close to Brown's level to this point in their careers. This idea that the offense is automatically better because Roethlisberger will have to spread the ball around more simply isn't true. The guys taking Brown's place have to get open and every defense they face is going to make them prove they can do it while focusing heavily on taking away Smith-Schuster.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Unknown at the moment but I think the offense will perform as good or better than last year.

JuJu will draw double coverage, someone will be open, Ben will find them.

10. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Let me see. No AB. Yes! We most certainly are better.

11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    There were (negative) reports about the angles but I liked some of them - definitely the one shown here where you can see the play develop.

Makes me want a bigger TV though

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/nb...igh-sky-camera-angle-steelers-titans-reaction

12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cut out the Cancer and the body will heal!!!! The mindset and culture has changed drastically, now lets get on a roll and get back to the playoffs and go from there SKY'S THE LIMIT!!

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think anyone said it will automatically get better. You can't say it automatically will get worse either. They have to play the games first. That ball has points on both ends and it can take funny bounces. He efficient with the ball and we won't need all that yardage, we need points efficiently and a better defense. :cool: