1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Football Focus has Josh Dobbs as the HIGHEST RATED QB the last 2 preseason games...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by D4H, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kamara is definitely in the conversation for best RB in the league. His production dipped after Ingram came back. He won't have Ingram taking touches away anymore. I expect his numbers to be huge this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I hope so! Took him #2 in a fantasy league. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. D4H

D4H Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Big Ben will only be out of the lineup due to injury. Doesn't matter how rusty or bad he plays.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I've had him two years in a row, he cleans up! This year I won't get him, picking 6th but maybe in Rays league I can :beg:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

Read the comment you replied to again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    who ever uses pff as a resource should be suspended.
    cmon maan

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Alvin Kamara has the talent to be a great player. Dobbs does not. Playing quarterback is about more than just running fast and throwing the ball hard. Dobbs was a smart guy in class, but he hasn't shown nearly as high a football IQ. He may be fast, but he's not as elusive as Watson. He also isn't nearly as accurate with his passes. Make all the excuses you want for him, but clearly, the Steelers see that he's nothing special and that Rudolph is the superior player now and in the long term.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    What? In the regular season, even if they keep him as BU to Ben he wont see the field unless Ben goes down. If he were to see extended play you do not want your healthy reserve QB making himself available to become destroyed. I doubt he will be number 2, or on the team for that matter, but big difference between a college guy running and a pro QB trying to make a living doing it.

9. D4H

D4H Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Alvin Kamara was a 3rd round pick in 2017. Josh Dobbs was a 4th round pick in 2017. Before the 2017 NFL Draft there weren't many people that were seeing Alvin Kamara's talent. His success in the NFL has been a surprise to most people because his college career was very unremarkable.

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    There's some extenuating circumstances why Kamara fell in the draft. He had injury and behavioral concerns when he originally went to Alabama and was suspended by Saban. He then had to go to JUCO to even resurrect his career. He at one time was listed as a 5 star recruit though based on his talent.

Your passion for Josh Dobbs is admirable, as misguided as it may be

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I understand this is off topic, but I never would have guessed you to be a former member of PFF. May I ask what caused you to depart?

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He had a message board to create. Duh!

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This X 10.

14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Alvin Kamara has excellent hands and is a great route runner, aka L. Bell. He is more hybrid receiver/RB than pure running back and he isn't a between the tackles runner who could take over a game. He benefits with having Drew Brees as the QB and continuing to play at a high level.

He is very talented but overrated as a RB IMO because his rushing attempts are usually against nickel and dime defenses. He is dangerous if he gets to open field or around the edge but getting yards between the tacks against a base 3-4 or 4-3 isn't something he can do very well. Very talented but his name isn't always included as best running back because he does more receiving than running.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't know either but could always tell there was a little more to his evaluations then the run of the mill breakdowns.

Thats why when TTF talks, people listen.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    D4H is dobbs lol. Dobbs4Hire. Just like PWP is Heyward bey. Notice once bey was released PWP stopped posting lol.

143A4A56-1045-42E4-87A3-FE3FE0FFAD06.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Dobbs 4 Hire :lolol::lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:goofy:

Should have known!!! :lolol:

19. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I, as I am sure others have too, wondered about Pro Football Focus and how they come up with things like this.

I have a friend who writes for Rotowire and asked him what he knew about PFF. He told me that they have scads of interns watching game films over and over and over using some kind of grading system that nobody really understands.

So, there's that. Never take their ratings too seriously.

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I do enjoy PFF as a resource but would never take it as gospel.

They represent themselves as a pure data company, however, I think there is an awful lot of opinion goes in to their data .

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And bias.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I am not being paid to be Dobbs lawyer, but I in defense of Dobbs, I would have to say that Dobbs got unlucky and got no help from a 1.5 yrd avg running game, also 2 things: 1) Dobbs, in Carolina game threw two first down passes that is overlooked, these were good throws to Switzer and Holton for first downs 2) Mason had some luck when he got the ball back at the end of the half from that interception and than threw a TD, let me end with this: Mason won the #2 spot from his preseason play, in games he was smooth and fluid which was nice to see, really, Dobbs was different but I want speak up because I think there were outside forces that determined his preseason numbers, no running game, bad calls, but he did miss some throws and I did not see that w Mason which was the difference, Mason earned the backup spot

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I enjoy it a lot, just renewed my subscription. I honestly don't even care much about the grades, their site is much more than that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph may have been lucky to get another shot with the ball, but that touchdown pass wasn't luck. It was a good throw. Also, neither quarterback had much of a running game, so I'm not really interested in that excuse for Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I like Dobbs. He's a good kid and a great athlete. However, I can't see the upside with him like I can with Rudolph. Rudolph moves in the pocket, sets up and throws the ball like a pro QB. Dobbs looks like the product of a program that formed it's offense around his athleticism because that was easier and less time consuming than making him read defenses and wind through progressions. These are the reasons why it appears as if Rudolph is progressing at a faster rate. MR knows a pro set offense and where he needs to improve. Dobbs relies more on instincts.

• Agree Agree x 1