1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cuts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 31, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They were saying that if Ola or Layne go to IR that leaves a spot open to bring back Holton or Spencer or both

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Dobbs big Dan and Matakevich... Not mad about it as I knew they weren't going anywhere in spite of the fact that they offer nothing really (outside of ST with TM) but if their number is called its a less than wash. Im not calling either a liability per se but they don't have "it". Couple of other folks may not have "it" either but were intriguing enough in my mind to move on from the unsteady eddies we keep around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TBH, It wouldn't bother me at all if Layne went to IR. It was going to be a red shirt season anyway. Put him on the designated to return list.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok so the roster is set as of now. First and foremost Colbert needs to get a veteran Tight End like yesterday.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    goes on IR it wouldn't bode well, 2nd year for that. That would not make me confident that he is not becoming injury prone or breaking down already. He had a meniscus scope. This should not sideline him for an IR visit again.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I can’t believe they cut both Spencer AND Holton....... and Kept Chuks & Johnson... both which could have been kept on the PS

Cajun

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, but its slim pickings out there.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Burns part deux

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Might have to look at a trade. If McDonald goes down you have Grimble as your starter. Grimble! And Gentry who is raw. I liked Jesse James I guess more then some and I know he got his payday but it would be a comfort to have him now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Holton proved he can play but unfortunately we have a good 5 man receiving corps. that will see a lot of action... while I have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head - Hodges throwing to Rogers and Holton on the practice squad... I might be in store for a let down as there is talk Hodges wont be on PS, I think the PS is going to be interesting this year

11. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Burns earned his spot w a solid preseason, I watched him and think he can contribute in games, Layne is adjusting to pro football... he will be fine... Tomlin said if it was up to him all rookies would stay off the field gameday, thats his preference... Layne had a rough preseason which I think can be a good thing when it is comes to a players growth

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I really thought Eli would be dealt for one, but maybe they didn't have any takers. Problem is, now they just cut down so you are giving up draft picks or someone on the 53 now. They just cut a lot of their trade ammo. Seems to me a lot of TEs got hurt this preseason and teams don't have the depth to trade away.

Jordan Legget was cut
    Scott Orndorff was cut (steeler previously)
    Will Tye cut
    Luke Wilson cut
    and some rookies....Alize Mack, Matt Sokol

I'm sure I'm missing some, but its not a great list. And if you do trade for one, if he's any good, he probably has a good sized contract. So we have to fit that in.

Probably why RF doesn't want to give Vanimal more snaps. He knows he doesn't have much if he goes down with injury.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Dunno, Houston seems pretty desperate for OL (based on the almost trade of Clowny to Miami).
    No way of knowing what cut linemen they would go after.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Texanz just dealt the farm for Stills and the Fins starting tackle. They are looking at win now mode

15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Doubt he gets a hat on game day right now. Gives him time to develop. It’s too soon to give up on your third pick.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We should save about 1.5 mil. with Eli and Hawkins moves.:cool:

17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I'm hoping/praying/wishing he's in a situation the same as Nate Berhe was in last year. Maybe tomorrow there will be an IR announcement & he can be added to the 53. This guy can make big-time plays if given the opportunity & should not be risked on the waiver wire ...bitter

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good for Tuzar.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I thought Big Ben like big tall fast WR's who can stretch the field. He should have a say in who his weapons should be ...after all he is the adult ...he never got the chance to throw 1 deep ball to Holton

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Who in the world would've thought that Tuzar Skipper would make the 53? I mean, who? Thats amazing. Good for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Conner doesn't count? Please do explain your logic there. This should be entertaining.

You claimed that the Steelers last couple of drafts were bad. Of course, that is subjective, but the facts do not fit your claim. In fact, they make it look quite ridiculous because that would have to include 2017. Smith-Schuster is already a great player. Watt is getting there, too. Conner earned his way to the Pro Bowl last season. Sutton is still at least useful and could move into the nickel corner job at some point this season. I don't think much of Dobbs, but he's still around. That's a hell of a draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes sense. I don't think there was ever any chance Layne would be cut, but stashing him on IR for at least half the season wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

23. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I tend to agree- I can't believe we've never been able to get one of the Colquitt children. (For my money, their dad was the best punter the Steelers ever had in my fan watching lifetime 72-present.)

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Tuzar Skipper forced his way on to the 53. Anyone who says pre season doesn't matter, tell that to Tuzar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Not sure Colquitt is such a slam dunk.
    He has 3 blocked punts in the last 2 years. Berry had zero.
    I don't think that is worth an extra 1.7 yard average.