1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cajun's Final 53 with commentary

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Aug 30, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    QB- Ben, Mason, Hodges...…. Dobbs has not looked good at all. Hodges struggled some vs. the Panthers but he had NO OL. He made his case over the entirety of the Preseason.
    RB- Connor, Samuels, Snell..... I'm worried!! Snell is NOT a good runner...he is a solid pass protector picking up the Blitz and has nice hands. He beats T. Edmunds due to draft status. M.Williams is a much better runner than both BUT stinks at blitz P/U and receiving
    FB- NIX....enough said
    OL- AV, Foster, Pouncey, DD, Feiler, Finney, Banner, Fred Johnson.... Worried!!! This group looks good and Banner has taken his place over Chuks & Hawkins as they Stink this preseason. Hawkins has looked better but still not good enough. OT depth is worrisome....
    WR- JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, D.Johnson, Switzer, Holton.... How do you keep Holton off the roster? He beats out Eli. I like Spencer better than Switzer BUT the team trust Switzer in the return game with his decision making and adequate skills. D. Johnson has shown he can return too....
    TE- McDonald Grimble & Gentry...… Grimble is an easy cut... would save 2 million on the cap with no dead money plus he hasn't done anything Worth keeping for the money. Gentry is who we thought he was. McDonald is fragile so this group is scary weak. Outside help/signing is a MUST.

DL- Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Big D, Alualu, Buggs.... Big D finally stepped up and Alualu is stepping down. This will be Alualu's final year, wear and tear catching up to him. Hopefully Buggs really develops to replace him next year.
    OLB- TJ, Dupree, Ola, Chick, Skippoer…. Skipper has Proven he deserves a roster spot and even played ST vs. Panthers and Had two tackles.Chick makes it this year but this may be his last.
    ILB- Bush, Barron, Matakevich, Vince, Gilbert lll… Gilbert would be the easiest to move to the PS but his ST skills keeps him on the roster. Plus He and Bush are the future @ ILB. Vince's production and spot can easily be replaced by Dirty Red But his contract keeps him.
    CB- Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Sutton, Burns, Layne.... 6 CB is tough and Burns would be the cut but he is the best Outside backup right now. Layne's injury doesn't help. Sutton needs this year to develop before trusted beyond a backup role.
    Safety- Davis, Edmunds, Kelley, Dangerfield.... Kelley is a no Brainer, Dangerfield over Allen due to ST.. Hilton's safety abilities helps this group and the defense.
    K-Boswell, P-Berry, LS-Canaday…. easiest group to decide on.

PS- TE Christian Scotland-Williamson, DL- Mondeaux, ILB- Robert Spillane, OLB- Sutton Smith, OL- Okafor & Morris, S- M. Allen, RB- T. Edmunds, WR- Griffey, Telvin Jones, Spencer.... Notes: I hope CSW develops well and fast because we need TE help. Gentry can easily be signed to the PS if we sign a TE from the streets. If they Move Ola to the IR after the initial cutdown and prior to week 1 game then Spencer can be moved up to the roster and a decent RB can be added to the PS

Cajun-

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My quibbles with this list and analysis are minor.

I keep Okorafor over Banner. I think he sucks a little bit less, and his athleticism provides more upside. He also did OK in real games last year. Our lack of quality depth IS very concerning.

Dobbs will be on the roster. I’d be good with that if our coaches would be willing to change the play calling to suit him when he has to play. He’s not very effective at putting points on the board in our offensive scheme, but could be in a scheme/play calling that are more befitting his talents. He’s not as bad as some paint him, but I think we’ve seen enough to know that his effectiveness leading our offense would be limited.

Agree on being very worried about TE depth. Grimble is - at best - a #3 TE, and will be one injury away from being a #1. That’s a gaping roster hole that we seem happy to ignore, and it kills me. It’s like a few years ago when we ignored the backup RB position and were stuck with Ben Tate and Dri Archer in a playoff game after Bell got hurt.

I think Vince is better than you think, and Red is more limited than you think. I agree both will be on the final 53, but Red shouldn’t be. If we cut UG3 in favor of Red, I’ll be throwing things in anger.

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Can't find any real fault in your reasonings concerning the 53....
    As far as practice squad is concerned though, I think Griffey is gone and devlin hodges showed enough for a further look

4. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Holton looks great , he better make the team.
    Tired of Eli , time to move on .

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I haven’t been a fan of Griffey, daddy’s name got him a shot on the team..... and he hasn’t shown ( last year ) he was worthy. He seems limited physically, sluggish looking even though he is a 4.5 40 guy. But this preseason I’ve seen him make contested catches , two tap the sideline and huddle more plus he catches the ball clean. He might become a better Eli Rodgers type in time so I threw him a bone with a PS designation.

Cajun

6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still think Snell may not make it to the 53. He was a 4th round pick but so was Fred Gibson. We'll know soon enough.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I guess I'm the only one who likes the OL depth. :lolol: In regards to the backups, they did not perform well as a unit this preseason at all. But I think if they come in for an injury replacement with the other starters, we are fine. Finney on the inside is a starter most places. T depth can be fought over throughout the season b/t Banner and Chuks but I am not worried there too much for RT. If AV goes down, a LT replacement is hard to find on any team.

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    There is no way Chuks makes it over Banner.. Banner was overweight and bad last year and Chuks showed a ceiling of unbelievable heights.... this year Banner slimed down and has played solid in backup duties..... Chuks regressed badly, looks totally lost at times.

Dobbs has a nice deep ball and runs very well. As smart as he is I struggle to understand why he struggles with reading the defense and going thru his progressions. His short to midrange passing with be his undoing. Hodges impressed me with his calmness in the pocket, reads and decision making. His accuracy on ALL his throws is nice to see.

I wonder if TE Reilly has a shot at the PS? He hasn’t looked bad.

Vince & Red—— Both are Buck LB, both blitz well, Both struggle in coverage, Vince is a thumper and Red a technically sound tackler, Red is better on ST..... Borh will be backups this year ..... for the money they’re paid RED is the Better player..... head to head they aren’t very different. Gilbert lll is NOT ready just yet to take the reigns but is worthy of a roster spot. He’ll replace Red 1st-next year— and then Vince in 2021...

Cajun

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I liked the draft pick but man has he struggled rushing the ball. Maybe if he slows down and becomes a bit more patient maybe he’ll have better success.... sadly changing ones running style isn’t easy.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

Oct 16, 2011

He just seems like a plodder to me, like George Jones back in the day.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A few guys I zeroed in on this preseason to watch. UG3 can play and was the guy getting up last at the bottom of many a pile. His coverage is very good, I don't think his man caught a ball this preseason. He's probably played more snaps then Bush so far.

Hawkins, has played well at LT this preseason. better than chuks. Both are draft picks don't forget and that is the money spot. He can play guard as well.

we need at least one bu center on the ps. We may bring one in or keep morris.

Jay Elliot may be a surprise keep. Especially if chick is still hurt and ola isn't ready to start the season.:cool:

12. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Raiders just released TE Luke Willson.... he is better than Grimble or Gentry or Rader

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So much for all that Hodges hype, he doesn't deserve a spot on the 53. Too many other good players to keep 4 QBs.

14. IZONUFOTO

Jan 1, 2012
    we get too attached to "potential players"...hell..i got upset when they cut Baron Batch...thought he was the next eric metcalf.... Gotta learn to do youre best Elsa imitation and just "LET IT GO.... even the ones we wanna keep are 3rd stringers guys... we have our team..it's right there..we'll be OK..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Anybody got a flashing neon sign?? Luke Wilson is now available ...just checked his YouTube highlights ...2 thumbs up

16. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    Anybody got a flashing neon sign?? Luke Wilson is now available ...just checked his YouTube highlights ...2 thumbs up

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Also at TE, the Falcons cut Logan Paulson. He started 10 games last year. He’s 32, and not a true starting TE, but he’d be a decent 1 year rental.

18. IZONUFOTO

Jan 1, 2012
    well ok..just researched Willson.. he was teammates with Vance McDonald and Boz at Rice... ..I wonder if they're friends

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's a thought:

I think we are all a little nervous that Skipper may get left off the 53. I know I am .

We are likely keeping 4 safeties, which include Davis, Edmunds, Kelly and likely Dangerfield.

For our ILBs we are likely keeping Vince, Bush, Barron, and certainly UG3. I think it's also likely we keep Dirty Red. Now if the fight is #44 vs UG3, I'm taking the rookie all day.

Does ANYONE see a scenario where we keep 5 ILBs but only 3 Safeties, while using Barron in a type of ILB/S role? He has played alot of Safety in the NFL. I also think alot of us feel better about ILB position than we did 5 months ago.

I do think Bush and UG3 may actually be the starting tandem in the future.

I'm just trying to find a way to get Skipper on this roster. I'll be sick if he is cut and feta picked up by another team.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    If we really wanna keep a productive player like Skipper on the roster, why not cut Dirty Red?? We got plenty of people capable of playing special teams...

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Regardless of position, who is more capable of contributing to the Steelers, Dirty Red or Dangerfield?

22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I had forgotten about George Jones. Another older comparison would be Earnest Jackson.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerJJ

Oct 16, 2011

I remember Jackson. Two 100 yard seasons with other teams but not much with us.

24. AKFO

AKFO New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Any odds we cut Alualu and go with 5 Dlinemen? Hargrave can back up Tuitt/Heyward in nickel situations, albeit Buggs would be the primary backup in 3-4 and Big Dan would have to be more prepared to play.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Don’t forget Hilton getting snaps at safety in the preseason, and playing well at the position.

• Like Like x 1