1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

53 Man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Jul 24, 2019.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    McCullers needs to go. He has had LONG enough. Dirty Red needs a shower in another teams locker room. Eli Rogers will be taking that construction vehicle out of town.

Depth is the issue. If the Davis injury lingers I can see them looking at signing a free agent.

Snell is a North/South runner. He is going to get the 2 to 3 yard pounders. Could he be used as a fullback?

The tight end position is getting scary and not for good reason. With McDonalds injury history this could be a disaster in the waiting. Possibly a trade will be in the cards.

Lets just hope the O line ones all stay healthy.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hawkins has looked good this preseason. Actually better than chuks. He has been playing a lot of LT.

skipper looks good but so does our recent pickup. Small sample size but a splash play right out of the gate. He is a vet as well. I love chick but what has he actually done? hes always dinged up too.

UG3 has to make it.

I do think holton sticks.

I don't think our total 53 comes from this group.

Gentry I'm mixed on. Not great but not bad for a rookie. :cool:

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they want to keep all the WRs, I wonder if an OL would be sent down. Maybe Fred Johnson. You still would have Finney for the interior depth and Chuks/Banner for T depth and 3 TE usage.

Then you would have room for Skipper and keep the 4 safeties.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    :lolol: Maybe strong is too strong a word! But by most accounts, he has had a solid preseason playing a lot of STs and is "improving" on his coverage. They won't give up on the first rounder just yet.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I gave the nod to Chuks because of his experience last year. Plus you have Hawkins, Banner and Chuks all vying for that T depth. I think Hawkins could probably play guard (not sure if he has) but I think they want to see if he can stay healthy all year on the PS.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    An interesting idea to help keep UG3 and Skipper is to trade/cut Dobbs and keep only 2 qb’s with Duck on the PS. Maybe even pay him extra to dissuade people from poaching him (not that QB’s are often PS poached). Then we could maybe trade Dobbs for a TE? Just a thought.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would think UG3 is pretty safe, he'll just take the spot LJ Fort had. Barron taking jon Bostics spot or whatever. 2 in and 2 out. edit - forgot to add Bush, so 3 in, 2 out

I was thinking they could get a TE with a trade of Eli but Dobbs is a possibility, you can't rule anything out. I don't really see where Justin Layne should get a spot since he'll mostly be inactive every game day, but I know they won't cut him because of the draft investment and supposed upside.

Maybe the next CBA will have one spot on the PS where a player cannot be poached :lolol:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Layne going to IR would solve the Skipper problem imo. I have no idea on the extent of his injury though. Then with Skipper aboard you can give Ola the extra time to heal

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Ola and the Skipper. I like the ring to that.

11. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    In case anyone is curious (as I was) when the deadline is.

When is cut down day?

This year, cut down day falls on Saturday, August 31. The deadline for teams to finalize their rosters is 4 p.m. ET.

By then franchises must reduce rosters to a combined maximum of 53 players on the active and inactive lists. Most preseason rosters feature up to 90 players and teams are allowed to keep 10 practice squad players that don't count towards the 53.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    WE have similar thoughts and similar rosters with just a few differences. I just can't keep Chuks at this point. WAY too many mental mistakes and Hawkins just hasn't developed enough. He isn't bad but not good either.....

Cajun

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m intrigued, for no particular reason, what happens if teams miss the deadline.

Do they just have to go with their current listed depth chart? Fined draft picks?

Obviously there’s no benefit to going over the deadline, but I just wondered.

14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I mostly agree with your list with a few exceptions: (1) TE Gentry will make third spot (2) Skipper in - worthless Matakevich out (3) Spillane to the PS (4) Dangerfield out Marcus Allen in (5) after the waiting period, Brian Allen will be brought back for season-ending IR designation

...I don't care if he's adequate on special teams, sickens me Steeler fans always protecting Matakevich as if he actually contribute something on defense. The guy is too slow ..extremely poor in coverage & run defense. Again he was extremely worthless in the game last night ..couldn't make 1 play, always a step behind. Felt sorry for Bush having to play next to him last night. It's like we're playing with 10 defenders whenever Dirty's in the game. If he is responsible for us losing Skipper, may God help us ...if Matakevich must be kept, put him on the practice squad, he's eligible & guaranteed to clear waivers

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd be stunned if we dont pick up another TE or trade for one and release Grimble.

Holton vs Eli is gonna be a tough one for KC and MT. I won't be shocked if Holton gets the nod but my money is on Rogers.

:beg: for The Skipper

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they added a TE, you don't think they'd keep Grimble and put Gentry on the PS?

17. somedude

somedude Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I know from watching Snell in college that he is a patient running back and very good at reading blocks. That being said if he doesn't have blocking he will not be productive. I have heard a lot of people complain about the O line this year. So is Snell just too slow or do we have O line problems? Without decent blocking, I have never known Snell to do much on his own. He is as good as a wasted draft pick. The one bright spot I see is his receiving. good hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I remember Grimble best from that Debacle in Denver ...unforgivable

19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sure Grimble gives you anything that Gentry can't. Plus we should save some money.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s what I would do. Gentry would be safe on the PS. He is a very underdeveloped TE by NFL standards.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with the TE part but think Eli is gone.

Skipper makes it.