1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this now a defensive team again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LambertsDentist, Aug 29, 2019.

1. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Since the 70s the Steelers have been a defense first team. Since our last Super Bowl appearance the Steelers have become a primarily offensive team. Has the team reverted back to being a defensive powerhouse?

If you look at our defense there aren't any real holes. Free Safety is the defense's weakest link, and Davis isn't a bad player.

Looking forward to next year 2 of our likely free agent losses (SS & ROLB) already have their replacements in house. Haden is likely to sign a new contract this week or next. Our only major defensive needs in the draft will be depth at safety and a starter at defensive tackle (assuming that Kelly shows that he can be an effective starter)

With the defense that we built I believe that our SB window is open wider now than it's been in a decade, and will remain open after Ben retires.

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not know if we are a powerhouse or not. It looks like we are an improved D, but until the season starts we really do not know. SS is covered for at least the next 4 years, FS (Davis) contract is up next year. What replacements do already have 'in house'? We have seen flashes from Ola, but only in preseason. When the int's and 3rd down stops starts coming then I will believe in this D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not yet but will be known as that in about 3 years.

7 straight years of using a 1st round pick on defense will do that.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d like to think at this point we’re becoming a more balanced team.

• Agree Agree x 10
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think our defense will be improved this year, but a lot of young players will need to play the best ball of their lives for our defense to be among the league’s best over the next few seasons. Ben’s contract will limit our ability to sign defensive talent, both home-grown and other teams’ free agents.

We will still need a very strong offense, which I think we’ll have. As Glenn said: balanced.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully this defense who has played above the line in Preseason takes this new energy into the regular season.

As Ben goes this team goes so it's still an offensive driven team.

What Glenn said is key, they look more balanced. If all 3 phases play above the line it will be an interesting season.

But hey, the clowns are going all the way right?! :lolol:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Think about the Pats. Even in the years where their defense was number 1 in points allowed, they were still a "Brady" team.

If the defense has improved enough to limit the big plays they've given up the last 2 years, I think that is enough to get a healthy Steelers team to the SB.

The two best defensive teams last year (Bears and Ravens) made the playoffs, but lost in the first round. Don't be too eager for a primarily defensive team, with the way the current game favors the offense.

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers D can just cut in half the number of 3rd and 17's they constantly give up, then that alone will mean a couple of more wins this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was always a true believer that defense wins championships, then again, I was around for the 70's when defense did win championships. Now I believe the rules have changed so much over the years that the offense has more advantages then it did in the 70's. My understanding is that it is what the NFL wanted. More fans want to see offensive battles then defensive. While I sure can understand that I'm still old school and love a good defensive battle.

I agree with the post that we have become a more balanced team.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Let's hope Haden and Nelson can stay healthy or it's gonna be more of the same. LBs looked improved and D-line has good depth.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we are quite balanced and I like these hungry young players. Been waiting for the defensive speed and I think we have it now. Nice mix of vets and young guys on both sides of the ball. Hope special teams come through this year.:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I couldn't read it because it's the Atlantic but Bouchette had an article that the Steelers defense could be returning to the glory days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Toss in a couple of last year’s missed kicks and we have 13-14 wins?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Our defense was middle of the pack last year by season end.

They did lead the league in sacks ( tied the league lead with KC)

Need to buckle down on the run further. YAC was a bit high allowed.
    It used to be you never ran on us. You wouldn't have a 100 rusher, it just never happened.

Two things killed them more than anything.

1.)The ability to create turnovers.
    Turnovers change momentum, change the game, when you don't make them.
    It just makes it harder to win. You would think a team with a high sack total would
    create more than they did. Steelers would bottom dwellers in this department last year.

2.)They were also terrible in the 2nd half and 4th quarters of games. The Chargers game is prime example.
    No reason you should lose a game with a large half time lead at home, like they lost that game. Inexcusable.

I think they have upgraded, they just need to stay healthy. I see this year's defense as a Top 10 defense, with the hope that it can be a Top 5 defense.
    Steelers have spent money, high draft stock, to make the defense better and I think this is a year you see that improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The defense has looked great so far this preseason.We will find out soon enough against the Patriots if they are the real deal. Should be an excellent benchmark to the rest of the season

I4D

16. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Having some athletic and versatile players in the middle (Barron and Bush) will really help anchor this team.

They should make it more difficult to have success running against the defence. Additionally, they complicate our blitz schemes as they can get to the QB quickly. Keeps opposing protection on edge worrying about 3 very capable down lineman and 4 athletic LB's.

Albeit a bit out of date, the 3-4 scheme is dependant on the strength of it's linebackers. Without four legit threats it's kind of useless.

Combine that with an improved secondary (Jury is still out on this one but it looks good) and Steel Curtain could be top 5 again.

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think this will be a top 5-10 defense with a top 5-10 offense and improved special teams.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It will be although we may have to wait till after Brady to see it.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Look at this defense vs last year. It *should* be drastically improved. Bush and Barron being added to the LB corps, we added a legitimate #2 corner, Ola possibly being able to take some snaps to spell the other OLB’s, Kelly, Edmunds a year older and hopefully better. It’s night and day when you look at the speed of this unit.

We struggled against TE’s and had problems when other teams would try to find ways to get their WR or TE matched up on Bostic and Williams all game. Not to mention we no longer have the Burns/Sensabaugh trash crew lining up outside opposite Haden. If guys like Bush, Watt, Edmunds, Haden and Nelson (not forgetting our Dline) can get some splash plays, then we should be in a really good place. Tbh I’d be very surprised if we aren’t a top 10 (possibly top 5 if everything goes right) defense by the end of the year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll believe it when I see it. Secondary is still questionable, IMO.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You can't play defense in the NFL anymore so this is irrelevant.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You can call it balance but I prefer complementary. We need both units to complement each other. D has to cause TOs and more 3 and outs. The O has to take advantage of the TOs ,not commit their own and possess the ball for long stretches. Much like NEs units complement each other. How many games have we seen one unit or the other show up? If we can get above the line STs play ,then this team will truly be a force and a legitimate contender....

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it is way too early to call this a defensive team. Let's see if the defense is actually good first.

They are going to have to be better defensively because I don't think the offense is going to live up to what it was the last few seasons. That said, I still think they have a good chance to be better overall than they were in 2018.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tell the Baltimore Ravens that. That has been their keys to success since their inception. Now, whether or not they can achieve the next step currently with Lamar Jackson is the question.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding the title, what Glenn said. More balance. The offense has been ahead while the defense has been behind for much of the decade. This was supposed to be resolved in 2017. However, December 4th of that year happened. Since then?! Not been the same. Now, with the next great Steelers LB on the team, I expect to see a return of balance.