1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fan poll: Improved OLB play

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Porter is gone, it was all his fault.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Butler is more hands on

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Combo of both

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Tomlin not interfering

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Coach Austin is a defensive genius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Better quality of players.

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sound off time. Was Joey the problem? Is Butler having a positive influence. Combo of both? Better players? Is it coach Austin having a bigger role than we know.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    All of the above

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    None of the choices fit, really.

We've added speed and the LBs we already have are kick'n it.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Too early to tell.

Bud looked good last year in preseason and Ola was the camp phenom.

Now Ola is out and it looks like Bud was just injured in the Tennessee game.

I would say way to early to tell for OLB play this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I got to agree with all of the above.:cool:

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not going to conclude that it’s improved overall until we get through a few weeks of the regular season.

I expect Watt to take another step forward in his 3rd season and challenge for an All Pro spot. I’m not ready to conclude that Bud has taken a step forward, but he looks good in the preseason so far. Chick is Chick, and he’s likely still the primary backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Definitely no singular choice.

Could be all or could be none. Too early to tell.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agreed.

Watt as said should take the next step. After that who knows. Dupree has had some splash plays but still takes bad angles and gets swallowed up with ease. His speed rush has been his friend and seems that Butler has him line up a bit more away from the line. The Ola scope has again put him behind and Chick who I like will only see part time duty as the primary back up.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Better quality of players, IMO.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Bingo! I remember thinking during last nights game that there is a lot of depth and talent on defense, how did this happen all of a sudden?

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope Chickillo isn't the #3 OLB, Ola keeps getting nicked up, hurts his chances of beating out Chickillo.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Keep in mind that, while Keith Butler's current run of being a Defensive Coordinator has been... suspect, he was the Linebackers Coach when we had LaMar Woodley and James Harrison. Granted, what happened to Woodley was unforeseen but, in his prime, both he and Harrison were unstoppable. It is unlikely now that having Butler now as the Linebackers Coach is adding immense value because T.J. Watt has a brother who is a Future HOFer for guidance and Ola Adenyi was a natural coming out of Toledo. That being said, Bud has gotten better and Tuzar Skipper is showcasing flashes of consistency. In that sense, having Butler does yield some dividends.

To me, it is a matter of both Porter being gone and Butler becoming more hands on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It’s the DL!!!!

They can’t slow down much less stop Heyward,Tuitt,Hargrave, and Big Dan plus the secondary is playing tighter coverage....

Results are the OLB are looking great

Cajun

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Butler > Porter

This will especially be true if Bud becomes the player we hoped he was when drafted.

My gut feeling is that Porter was not a good coach. Felt that way before now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Wonder if Kevin Greene would have helped?! Hypothetically speaking of course. That said, we will never know.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I'm of the same mind Blast. I think Porter was doing things the way he wanted and felt he had Tomlin's blessing and Butler just let it be. I have no inside knowledge or anything just a feeling.

As far as improving goes I wanted to ask if people are seeing how Skipper,Gilbert and even Spillane are looking in year 1 as compared to Adams in year 2 after missing his rookie season. Is it the quality of player or the coaching? I mean you can see the uptick in all facets of the D. Jerry''s guys are looking better (better quality there as well) the secondary is looking better and the line is stout and wrecking blocking schemes.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Greene may have sabotaged his chances when he auditioned for the job while Porter was still coach.

But yes, he would have been a big upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have been a fan/hopeful of Bud since he got here, and haven't felt he is as bad as others make him out to be. What I have thought is that Bud needed to slow down a bit, or at the least, better choose when to use his speed. He seems to be doing that this year. I haven't seen him right by and out of any play as of yet. If this is his new norm, I think he will be the player everyone is hoping for.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, basically this poll result tells us fans like to ***** about coaching but not give them credit when they players actually play well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well yeah. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1