1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason Game #3 Takeaways

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by brosonke, Aug 25, 2019.

1. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here are my thoughts:

Are the Titans not a very good football team or did the Steelers make them look that way?
    The Steelers defense is playing fast and will have some difficult cuts to make. Seems to have a lot of depth.
    I have no complaints about the offense. Plenty of depth, but did not get much from TEs tonight.
    Rudolph should be the #2 QB. How does Dobbs overthrow a 6'8" tight end?
    I wonder if Hodges didn't play because the Steelers do not want to give teams any more film on him.
    The pass rush was impressive.
    It is going to be a fun season, but the Steelers have a tough schedule the first half of the season.
    14 more days - I am ready for some Steelers football!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We held mahomes and mariota to a combined 11 yards Super Bowl confirmed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Titans are terrible and this will be the last year Marcus Mariota is the starter in Tennessee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    That's what I thought, but it is preseason and the Titans went 9-7 last year.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m not too fussed over how good the Titans are. We play to our opposition, so what I liked was that the D looked fast and aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Shhhhhhhhhh! We are going to neek up on the rest of the league while they are watching the browns and patriots.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Titans suck lol look how conservative they played

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Titans aren't terrible but they are just an average team. They will finish 8-8 or 9-7 again.

Despite the losses of Bell and Brown, the Steelers will be an improved team this year. Our offense should be more consistent while our Defense looks younger, faster and more aggressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Titans with Henry at RB are a totally different team. We are never as good as we think and never as bad as we think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    1) Mason Rudolph looked good again. Dobbs less sharp.
    2)The Steelers defense was FAST and everywhere.
    3)Either the Steelers d line is better than I thought or the Titans O-line is awful. Like get their QB mutilated type of awful.
    4) There will be veteran Tight Ends (aka Y receivers) and D backs cut as the rosters are pared down in the near future. Will the Steelers sign one of each or will they stand pat?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Both Dobbs and Rudy are way behind talent from Ben though lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We finally have something to disagree on... Mason Rudolph

Experience, more than talent at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't see Mason even approaching Ben's NFL career. He's no Aaron Rodgers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Pre season means nothing. You cannot deduct anything from preseason games . Zero, zilch, nodda.

How many preseasons do we have to watch a player or two look like a sure fire HOF only to come out and never see a snap or stink it up?

I’ll make one prediction.... our secondary looks horrible and will be just that. Horrible. Burns was getting owned all game but the titans QB could not get an accurate pass off. A good QB would have lit us up last night.

It was nice to see Tuitt show a pulse.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    My take away is this, if I'm Tomlin and Colbert. Find Kam Kelly and Skipper a roster spot.

Ben looked fine, Juju looked good, Conner looked good. O-line looked good. McDonald didn't look good, bad drop.

Rudolph looked great outside of his miscommunication INT.
    Dobbs does good things with his legs, and can make throws, but he is producing zero points when he is in the game.
    If you look back and the Raiders game he filled in last year he had the same issue, couldn't move the offense consistently (or at alll).
    Sure he will make the occasional good throw. But, you have to command your offense down the field that is one thing Rudolph has done and Dobbs hasn't.
    Plus I think it helps that Rudolph plays a with a much similar style to Ben. Dobbs is different than everyone else style. I think he could be successful in the right system just not the one that Ben or Rudolph run.

But still game #4 to figure it out. I'm sure all 3 back up QB's will get the chance to showcase the talents.

You can't help to love what we saw from the defense. I think we are getting that swagger back to our defense. All the defense looked great from starters to back ups, to guys who probably won't make it. It was a great showing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Color me impressed with how much pressure the D line was getting last night. If they can keep that up all season long the Steelers will he in great shape.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll be impressed if the D-line can pressure Brady in two weeks... the way they pressured Mariota and Tannehill. I doubt it will happen though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think our D will cover short passes better and get that receiver who catches a short pass to the ground faster. Not sure if that aggression and speed helps or hurts against the run. I saw some holes while they were buzzing around, but the NFL is more about short passing nowadays so we are built more in that direction now. Against deeper passes, I hope we are better too, but who knows. About the game, if the Titans kept pounding the rock, they could have probably done much better and I bet if it were a regular season game they would have done that.

I think the offense will eventually deliver as expected after a slow start this season. (Not so) Funny thought. If we beat NE (because they have some issues), I would not be totally surprised. Then I would absolutely not be surprised we proceeded to play poorly against weaker teams as the season progressed like we usually do.

However, I must admit all in all my conservative 7-9 projection is in jeopardy (I hope) based on what I have seen from the new guys on defense and Bud playing for a contract.

21. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    My biggest takeaway was from "The Play Of The Game".

Tomlin won a challenge!

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I can already tell how this is going to go. Belichick is already watching tape. I'm not sure if Tomlin is but the Patriots are doing a lot of power formation. Steelers are going to gameplan all week to stop Brady and the pass. Belichick is going to run/screen it down our throats to negate our pass rush. Then we will make adjustments at half time to stop the run and it will open the pass for Brady to shred us. I've seen this movie too many times.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    we all can only hope but sorry, I don't see Mason touching "good" ben. I say good because he does idiotic things at times.

Mason looks like another average above-average starter that can very well win some games with us. Depending on how are defense turns out, maybe even stretch the playoffs/SB.

Again, this is just what I see with him now. He can very well get better, or even far worse lol.

24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    So are you saying is that Rudolph reminds you of another 3rd round QB that shall remain nameless that helped the Steelers get to a Super Bowl?

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ll counter their counter and beat the snot out of em.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2