1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Long Captain America

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Aug 18, 2019.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Peter Fonda dead at 79. While not a fan of his personal politics and social stances, as a college kid and fellow motorcycle riding guy myself back then, he was one cool dude 50 years ago with the release of Easy Rider and his quiet reflective character Captain "Wyatt" America. The sweeping cinematography and awesome soundtrack had me back to see this epic flick a dozen times on the big screen (not to mention launching Jack Nicholson's long and distinguished career). "Born to be Wild" and "Wasn't Born to Follow" became my personal internal anthems that quietly propelled me through life to a peaceful existence in a log cabin at the edge of the Mojave Desert with nearby snow-capped mountains.

PS - your Sis sure was hot in Barbarella! :cool:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Great movie, I have the movie poster (replica) hanging in the garage. Been riding for the past 20 years.

I was down in New Zealand and came across a motorcycle shop that had replicas of the two bikes in Easy Rider. Very cool to see in person, even if they were only replicas.

I didn't see the news that he passed....RIP Capn'

• Like Like x 3
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Those were indeed some tasty looking choppers. This reminded me of the anti-poster that I had in my dorm room with Nixon and Agnew's faces superimposed over Fonda and Hopper riding into the sunset with Nixon saying: " We blew it Spiro!" :lolol: Little did I know at the time that I'd go on to live in very conservative Whittier CA for 25 years, Nixon's home town where he was still highly revered long after he left office.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I was hot and Cold on him as an actor, but no one can deny the impact Easy Rider had. RIP Mr. Fonda. Not to hijack this thread, but what do you guys ride? I have a Fatboy that I love right behind Faith, Family, and Football (depending on who you ask).

• Like Like x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    No problem Jim - this is very on-topic. I wasn't as "Born to be wild" as I thought I was and went through the Honda school from 90cc to 750cc over 10 years. Too many friends (foolishly in many cases) lost their lives on bikes back then and my Guardian Angel was working OT and mentioned one day after my own spill exiting a SoCal freeway that I might enjoy driving Jeeps and trucks instead. I agreed and haven't been on one since. Not to be a downer on the topic but just lost another friend (a Dentist) recently to an off-road bike incident. Ironically, I've never personally known anyone who succumbed to an auto/truck accident. I know it's all fate and numbers but be careful my friend.

• Like Like x 1