1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Javon Hargrave unlikely to get a contract extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 20, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

That would suck if he leaves as a free agent.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I seriously doubt they let him go unless he is demanding the moon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    After how much trouble they had replacing Hampton, they've gotta figure this out. Unless they are very confident in the 2020 draft prospects...

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Even then, spending a first round pick on a defensive lineman is quite the steep price. In addition, should both Sean Davis and Bud Dupree do well, that leaves little room for Hargrave.

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    For some reason they won't play him as much as he deserves so I don't know why he'd want to resign here unless they really blow him away with an offer.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would let Dupree and S. Davis walk before I let go of Hargrave. I would be trying to sign Hargrave over Haden too. That 12.5million tag would be pricey especially with the money on the d-line already. Tuitt at 12 mil/year, but he just restructured a month ago to help out, Heyward at 9.8mil/year. It will be very tough to sign him to what he'll be expecting I'm sure.

Interesting note, Hargrave and Tuitt are the same age even though Tuitt was drafted in '14 and Gravedigger in '16.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This really makes no sense to me unless, like Blast said, if he asking way too much. 4th year and his numbers are trending up with Cam getting older. Probably has been talking to AB's agent.:rolleyes:

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe he wants to test free agency to get as much money as possible? Players need to do what the believe is in their best interest.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This was my thought as well.

Or that they have doubts about his ability to be a 3 down lineman.

Otherwise it’s a bit of a head scratcher.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The talking heads were saying if he goes to a 4/3 team he would make more money as a free agent, his playing time would probably increase too.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Flacco was a perfect example.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hargrave should be a priority over these two. Davis is worth keeping at the right price & Bud is not worth the $ he will demand if he has a good season.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is disappointing, but not unexpected given our cap situation. I haven’t looked in depth at our contracts in a couple of months, but I don’t think there’s anything realistic or prudent that we can do this offseason to create the necessary cap space to extend him at his market value.

I agree with suggestions that his big payday and production will come in a base 4-3 defense.

14. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree and Davis would have to have one HELL of a year for me to be ok with extending them vs. Hargrave

15. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Hargrave is going to get a big contract. Just not with us. He's simply out of our price range.

It actually sucked for him to be drafted by The Steelers. Had he been drafted by a 4-3 team he'd have much better stats heading into free agency and would command an even larger contract next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vince contract is killer. Berry and Eli could give us some money for next year and so could chickillo. These moves could save about 8 mil.. We have backups for these guys that have been effective. It could be carried over until next year. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    we need him

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    We have Big Dan who makes Hargrave totally expendable...I couldn't even type that with a straight face!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who’s the backup if we cut Chickillo?
    Cutting Vince Williams this year probably wouldn’t be a good idea.
    Maybe a case for Berry and Eli.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe there’s a reason he doesn’t play as much?

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Conditioning?

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's what I mean in vince contract is killer. We are stuck. That was one of the worst deals they ever made and then reworked it. Yes here for the next couple of years making more then the starters if it's Barron and bush.

as far as backups we have ola and skipper. We also have sutton smith. Chick could be a cut next year. A June 1 designation. We save about 5 million. We can then split his dead money into two years.

Big fan could be included in this group, getting us closer to 10 mil. In savings. These are going to be the kind of cuts we need to make for next year. Guys that are the second tier and we have guys behind them that are equal at least but the money difference is large.

chickillo - ola
    Eli- switzer or Spencer
    Bery- berryman
    Dan- mondeaux or a traffic cone.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Isn’t Ola out with an injury right now?
    I’m not going with two totally unproven guys as my back up outside linebackers. No way.
    For some reason you have an ax to grind with Vince Williams? If you cut him then all you have is Tyler McTakeadump and some unproven guy. That ain’t going to cut it.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    unproven guy? Barron? Then our draft pick we have up three picks for. Vince got replaced by fort last year. We had the worst lb Corp in the league, that's why 3 guys were brought here. Vince isn't that good and especially at the money they have him. We are stuck with him now sucking up cap room to hopefully sit on the bench.

ola should be back in a couple of weeks.

who else would we cut for money for next year? We are very limited. I also said chick wouldn't have to go until next year. Th backhoeese are going to have to be the kind of guys cut to keep starters next year. We don't have money. We have 3 to 4 starters to try to sign next year, cutting these backups is far better than losing starters. :cool:

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Huge pity if Hargrave is left go. It does look like they cannot afford him without making equally damaging cuts elsewhere though.