1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup qb's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Aug 5, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Then I have no idea lol

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    same

3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Dobbs did throw a TD pass but it was called back because of the hideous OPI call.

I have decided not to take sides, after all we are still only at the halfway point, two more preseason games.

I like Hodges
    I like Rudolph.
    I think Dobbs can play better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

Its all good, Mac, I just want them to keep the best player. If that ends up being Hodges, so be it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The eye test is the least reliable of tests. Confirmation bias rules.

That’s not to say I agree with PFF, but just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I like Hodges, but I guess I’m scarred by every camp hearing that the 4th string UDFA QB is the next big thing and we’re going to lose them.

Different position, but remember how upset we were when Ayers was cut, then signed by the Pats? Then... did nothing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hodges can go to the practice squad. He was an udfa, no team is suddenly going to think he should go straight to their 53 man roster.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When the Steelers drafted Ben you just knew we had a big time QB. When he was announced I said we will finally get #5 within 5 years. As for what we have behind Ben I have zero confidence any of them will be a big time QB but my vote would go to Hodges. He is a wild card for sure but the kid got moxie.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of you fans are getting carried away with this Hodges hype, he hasn't played against a #1 defense yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    to be fair Rudy has not played in an NFL game either. Dobbs did, and well...

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    for what it's worth here are Dobbs camp completion percentages year by year.

2017: 57%
    2018: 55%
    2019: 53%

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    According to SteelersDepot, Hodges has the highest completion percentage ever in camp.

1. Devlin Hodges (2019): 71.8%
    2. Ben Roethlisberger (2015): 69.7%
    3. Landry Jones (2016): 68.6%
    4. Ben Roethlisberger (2014): 67.6%
    5. Ben Roethlisberger (2016): 67.5%

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And considering he's probably not throwing to first team receivers that's more impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you are going to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster, and both of them are young, I see no point in keep #4 on the practice squad. Decide whether Dobbs or Hodges is the best fit for you or has the most upside, and keep that player and let the other guy go. Otherwise, You're wasting your time and the players time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

yeah no.. don't agree with this at all. I had a chance to watch the Chiefs game and his arm is brutal.. If he does not get the run first crap out of his head he will get clobbered

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jones was more valuable to the Steelers than he was to the rest of the league. He knew the entire playbook and system, something Dobbs still hadn't figured out by the end of last season, and had experience working with the players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I am guessing Dobbs over Hodge.....Every team has the "He will never make it to the practice squad" guys....and they almost always do...then you throw in the fact that most teams only keep 2 QB's I think Hodge would be safe for another year.

HACK

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats the last player that I threw a hissy fit over them getting rid of and why I don't go gaga over these long shot players anymore. Was so sure it was a mistake to cut Ayers and that he would be blowing up the stat sheet in NE. They cut him too. :facepalm:

Steelers have a lot more information to process on these players than we do while sitting on our coaches. Thats not to say they don't make mistakes but they generally have a much better handle on this stuff than we do.

I won't lose any sleep if they cut Hodges.

19. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    don't wanna see dobbs much more. had his time to show himself now it's the other guys turn and soo far looking good.
    not a fan a qb who has to make plays with his feet. if you can do that and throw consistantly in the pocket. ok. Rudolf showed some good scrambling, only if the wrs would get open or come to the ball for him.
    ps. Washington goin be hot in fantasy

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    One name that Hodge brings to my mind is Kurt Warner, except Hodge had a better college career and Warner only started one year at Northern Iowa. Warner was in Hodge's position as a 4th QB in 1994, behind Favre, Ty Detmer, and Mark Brunell. How did Holmgren, the QB coach guru, not keep Warner? Well, as the Football Life episode says, "He wasn't ready." He needed to play.

So he ends up in the Arena League for four years and is very successful. Warner becomes a very accurate passer. His agent asks if he wants to play in NFL Europe, and he replies only if he gets a camp invite from an NFL team. The Rams give him that invite, makes the team as the 3rd QB, and wins scout team MVP. The Rams don't protect him in the Browns 1999 expansion draft, sign Trent Green, Warner moves up to #2, and Green gets hurt after going 28-32 in preseason. As they say, the rest is history. (Fortunately, Harrison knew when to drop in coverage for the Steelers sake).

Will Hodge be another Kurt Warner? Probably not. But because of his accuracy, Hodge has a better chance to be a Kurt Warner, than Dobbs has of being a Russell Wilson. In my opinion, Hodge will get a hat in this league for somebody, and I could see him becoming a Tony Romo for some team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The comparison to Romo is what I am thinking. Both were undrafted, Romo won the Walter Payton Award for the best player in FCS. Hodges is the all time FCS passing leader. If Hodges can be a Tony Romo, I'll take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    At the absolute worst, Devlin is making his case for the future. Not right now but I do believe that he does have a future in this league. How good can he be will have to come down to the 4th preseason game.

I don't expect him to play in the 3rd very much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There is something to be said about the "it" factor, along with the stats. Hodges seems to have the "it" factor along with his accuracy, Dobbs does not. So also agree With others we shouldn't waist the time and always upgrade when you can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Dobbs is tomlins boy so yea I think he stays lol

Sorry fellas

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn’t the practice squad for developing raw talent?