1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tyler matakevich

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Aug 5, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The role and build of the linebacker position has changed in this league. Matakevich, bostic, Williams would have been much better in a different era in the nfl. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Figured this thread would have been bumped up already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    5892DF06-3275-409B-B650-901F54A5E10C.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Shaking my head over 2+ pages of discussion about this guy, but here I am, about to add more commentary.

Yinzers love guys like this, hard working and smart with a bad ass nick name. I get it. I really don't believe the fact that he played at Temple has anything to do with his popularity. Most casual Steeler fans don't even realize Temple still has a football program. Not a gifted athlete and slow, but works and plays hard. It's not up to any of us whether or not he should be on the team, we just get to criticize the decision pro or con. I know one thing. If he has to start for any extended period of time, everyone will understand why he's a back up/special teamer. I won't bust any stones for fans of his, he is kind of a feel good story because of his limitations. On the flip side, I won't feel the need to celebrate if he doesn't make the team. I'll wish him nothing but the best and hope he catches on with another squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Dirty Red had a good game. Nobody wants him to play on defense but he's solid on STs and is probably making the team based on that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    4th year guy against practice squad guys. He was what he should have been. He stinks man. 10 tackles on special teams a year.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean neither side of this argument is wrong... Matakevich is a terrible ILB. Like never in a million years should see the field on defense bad. However he has proven to be a good ST player. He’s a fan favorite because he is the classic underdog. Undersized, unathletic (by NFL standards), but in the league regardless... your typical “Rudy” story. Guys like that can be easy to cheer for.

The reality of the situation is that he will remain employed by the Steelers until young guys with potential push him out. Eventually Matakevich will hit a point where the team knows he won’t progress as a defensive player (that time is here and passed) and there are other younger options that they want to try to develop into a potential quality back up or even starter. He’s also benefitted from being at a position where we have been really thin at for a few years.

He maybe has another year or two. I’m glad for his sake that he’s having a good camp.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

STATE has produced some too. Just ask the O line coach we just lost and my name sake.
    I'll give you Dorsett tho_wow, but I'll take Franco.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s really just been the lack of talent/depth we have at the ILB position, that’s why he’s been here so long

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The man played a solid game, calling the defense when Bush wasn’t beside him.

And yet he still gets bashed. So he only runs a 4.84 40. I get that but he plays much faster.

I’d rather a a slow guy who plays fast than a fast guy who plays slow.

Cajun

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Special-teams player at Best that’s it. I don’t know if that’s necessarily bashing him. Just pointing out the obvious.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not a fan and you are right that he should play well against the guys he was facing but regardless he played well. Like I said no one wants him playing on defense (and on this team he won't have to unless a ton of things go really wrong) but he is probably making the team for STs. I'd personally rather go with a young guy who has at least the potential to eventually play on defense but what I want doesn't matter.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't know if he called the game well. You're assuming value with no evidence.

Also, he does not play faster. He is slow and he plays slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Second week in a row, Matakevich led the team in tackles.... just sayin' :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Doesn't look like Dirty Red is going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Even the Chiefs' scrub quarterback knew that any time he saw man coverage, the best plan was to find Matakevich and throw at him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Red is in the right places just not fast enough. The football smarts are there but he's physically limited. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Vince McMahon is starting an entire league for players like that.:sneak:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry Vince but Tyler isn't going anywhere.:cool:

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree with all fronts, dirty red is staying. Just dont have the manpower to boot him out lol

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    edit - read the chart wrong, forgot which site I was on (espn, pro football reference??) but Dirty Red didn't lead the team in tackles week 1. Chart had the tackles combined over 2 weeks and I read it as week 1. I think it said he has 11 tackles total. 4 tackles out of 22 snaps in wk 1 plus a sack. Still not bad, 5 stops on 22 plays..

Either way, I was just stirring the Dirty Red pot :lolol:

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One alarming trend that I've seen in both games is the ILB having good position on TE's either on a seam route or like the long pass TM gave up this week and just not tracking the ball. It happened in the first game to Bush (I think) at least twice tI Spillane. These aren't nice rainbow throws where it is just in front of the receiver where he just has to extend his arms and make a clean catch. No these have less of an arc to them to where if the defender can get his hands up it makes the catch difficult or maybe changes it just enough to direct it away from the receiver. The one on Saturday in front of TM if he tracks it he has a chance at more than just tackling the catch.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    It seemed like Dirty was jawing at Sean Davis after the TE made that catch down the sideline. I was wondering if he was supposed to have Davis over the top. Davis ended up being a lot shallower (maybe covering a guy in the flat?). Hard to tell from the tv angle.

As to your point though, who knows what they are being asked to do in drills - turn and find the ball or play the ball when the receiver is attempting to make the catch. Maybe both. But I'm sure the bulk of it comes down to reaction time and/or not getting a jam on the receiver near the LOS. Our LBers may be a touch slow in reading the route or responsibility and by then the receivers already have a step on them.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They have Williams, Bush, Barron and Gilbert at inside linebacker. They actually do have the manpower, if they can fill Matakevich's role on special teams.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I have been impressed so far with how close they are to their man, a lot more than the last few years. Now if they can track the ball while they do it, that will be something.