1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Duck Dobbs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Aug 18, 2019.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    In his first preseason.

Steeler Glenn is right, too. I don't want to go overboard here. It could very well come to pass that what we've seen so far from Hodges is as good as
    it's ever going to be. For me personally, his performance to date is far too intriguing not to warrant a closer look. Right now, I think Rudolph is your back-up and as far as I'm concerned, the last roster spot at QB is at least up for grabs between Dobbs and Hodges.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's looking to me that the Steelers want Rudolph to be the #2, and he's getting every chance to get that. And so far, he's taking advantage of his chance.

I doubt they cut Dobbs, And if they are seduced by Hodges, it's foolish. You're not going to develop both Mason AND Hodges, keep your known quantity In Dobbs at #3. If Josh wants to live his NFL dream, he'll be free to go elsewhere next yr, and you can get another #3. They are a dime a dozen.

But if they want to trade Dobbs, he's not fetching a 5th or 6th rounder. Last yr, they tried to trade Landty Jones, who had much more experience that Dobbs and a better college resume, and they go nuthin'.

Sorry Mr Colbert, I'll keep my 7th rounder and wait for you to cut him. If you don't cut him, l'll sign the next Brian St Pierre or Scotty Campbell that comes along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. William Knight

William Knight New Member

Aug 18, 2019
    If you are reading through this thread and still can decide who should be the 2nd string quarterback, you either A) have not watched the first two preseason games or B) know nothing about football.

I will admit that Dobbs has an absolute cannon for and arm and does have the ability to make plays with his legs. However, he has some of the worst mechanics I have ever seen in terms of footwork and throwing motion. Im honestly surprised he hasn't tripped over himself during a drop back. I still haven't seen him be able to consistently make intermediate throws like slants/outs/digs.

Hodges seems very comfortable for how little NFL reps he has. However, I do think he is undersized and could work on his mechanics. He certainly has a higher upside than Dobbs.

Mason Rudolph is simply in a higher tier than the other two backup quarterbacks on this roster. The main two qualities that set him apart from the competition are 1) mechanics and 2) the ability to make throws required of NFL quarterbacks. Take a moment to watch these highlights from the first two preseason games.

First watch the highlights for each QB at normal speed and focus on the type of throw being made.

Then, set the playback speed to 0.5 and watch them again. This time, focus solely on the footwork and throwing motion of each quarterback.

After watching this film, it should blatantly obvious who the 2nd string quarterback should be.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why can't they develop two quarterbacks? That is part of why they kept Dobbs over Jones last year. They wanted to develop both Rudolph and Dobbs behind Roethlisberger.

I don't think they could get much, if anything, in a trade for Dobbs, but I do think he should be the one to go. At the very least, they should let Hodges get in a game ahead of Dobbs at least once so they can see him against better competition.

Dobbs is erratic. He lacks accuracy on his throws. Even his completions on deep balls this preseason were underthrown. He was apparently brilliant in school, but that type of intelligence doesn't always translate to the football field. I think Rudolph has clearly shown he is the No. 2. Hodges shows accuracy and composure, two areas that are weaknesses for Dobbs. I'd much rather have the quarterback who can make the throws and keep his head than the guy who can run.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    People doubted they would cut Jones last year and they did it anyway despite the number of years they invested in him. They have less invested in Dobbs so don't know why you think it's doubtful they would cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm not saying he's equal to Ben, just saying he throws a better ball than most of the other backup QBs we've seen. Talent still counts for something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We all said the same of Dobbs before as well. We've seen him log a terrific drive saving throw last year and watched him produce goose egg against the raiders when he got his shot. I like the kid but after 3 years he ain't got it. At this point I'm not buying much less sold on him. The hodges kid should get a better look with quality players but he's got poise and looks more in control than Dobbs in my opinion.

I already know what we have in Dobbs and it's not up to snuff. I'd give the kid a good looking over I just don't think they will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m ambivalent on the issue, but when you look at some of the back ups in the league, you have to wonder if some team or other would be pleased to get Dobbs.

At the same time, it’s the preseason prism...

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm always for an upgrade. Would just like to see a little more

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Little too early to tell what we have in Hodges. Hopefully we get an opportunity to see more of him. I would assume they are keeping 3 and if that is the case Dobbs can go. As Dobbler pointed out we already know what we have in Dobbs. Not every much in reality. Love his legs and athleticism but his arm is scary bad.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely and we've all ate it on our eye test passing pleas over the years but I seriously think this dude needs some top flight time over Dobbs... Sadly, don't believe he'll get it

12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I was reading that the raiders offered a 3rd for Dobbs last year... Don't recall that so can anyone confirm or deny?

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If someone offers you a 3rd rounder for your 3rd string QB, you better take it. Somehow I doubt that ever happened.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Was thinking the same but it's out there so just bouncing it off my folks here to see if it had any substance.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Intelligence does not transfer to the football field? What? I remember hearing raves about Mark Malones intelligence, over and over...look what he did! Oh wait, you have a valid point.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I haven't seen Devlin play yet, but I hear a lot of people saying they want him to make the team.

I hear he has a stronger arm than Rudolph, not that it means anything...

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    :cool:

I think I've gotten into this discussion here before, but I think it is important to keep in mind regarding Dobbs. As a teacher, I've studied Multiple Intelligence theory. The basic idea is that intelligence isn't just one thing. There are many forms of intelligence. Somebody might be a brilliant mathematician or scientist, but they can't put together a coherent sentence or process information quickly enough on a football field.

Some people are good learners regardless of the subject, but it is tougher to apply that knowledge when everyone around you is moving very quickly and there are pass rushers looking to knock you around. I'm sure Dobbs can tell you all about any play in the team's playbook, but I'm not sure he can make quick reads and apply all that knowledge well on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think any of that’s a problem for Dobbs. I do know what you’re talking about though.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hodges had what?, like 3 pass attempts since taking over with 10 minutes left, and his last one was underthrown. But even with that said, and as crazy as it sounds I still would take him over Dobbs at this point. Like many have said, it just seems like the game isn't too big for him and the decision making is a strength. Pretty good ingredients for a QB3 imo. Just a better fit for the offense.
    Tennessee and Buffalo would seem to have room for Dobbs if they want to pursue a 7th rounder in trade, but I don't know Hodges needs some more snaps before final judgement is made. I hope he gets them in week 4.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tab Douglass on the FAN y'day, speculated that you might be able to trade Dobbs to a team 'desperate for a #3 QB'. I think any NFL GM that is desperate for a third string QB needs to be fired on the spot.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not even sure that relates to intelligence as much to particular athletic skill and quick response time. Some of that can be coached to a certain level, but to a certain few it is just pure genetics.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It all comes down to how good at playing chicken some GM's are. If a GM thinks a player that is likely to be cut won't make to their waiver claim some will give up a late round pick expecially if they are banking on Comp picks. Right now the Eagles have Wentz and a career backup QB with a spotty record just lured out of retirement. Giving up a late 6th or 7th for a guy who might get claimed by another team isn't that great of a risk. I mean I never thought the Steelers would sign Vick but they did.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We may not be their favorite trading partner right now ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've never understood the Dobb's acquisition. He doesn't fit the Steelers offense.

I'd take a case of IC Light Mango for him!