1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Profession sphincter at it again - AB - Thank God he is gone.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We should have called his bluff!! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sure we could’ve kept him and forced him to play, but we know that would’ve been more trouble than it was worth.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're the only one with this stance, I haven't seen one other fan or media say the Steelers should bring AB back. They weren't going to get fair value for him, because he's nuts and he was looking for a new contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I have a feeling that long after AB's career is over we will still hear from and/or about him in ridiculous wacky ways.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know this will sound mean and I don't wish this on his family but I can see a Derrick Thomas type end for him. Right down to multiple baby mommas fighting over his estate.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s not the only one. I didn’t want the Steelers to cave and get pennies on the dollar for him, and I am concerned with the precedent that it set - not just for the Steelers, but for the league. I need to see how the Steelers’ offense responds this year without him to know whether it was worth it or not on the field. I also need to see what happens down the road the next time a good player under contract (with guarantees already paid) decides that he’s undervalued. Does he try the Rosenhaus AB special because the team doesn’t have the chutzpah to force a player to honor the contract he signed? I personally can’t says whether it was or wasn’t the right move until after this season ends, at the earliest. We can’t say for sure what AB would have, or wouldn’t have done if the Steelers had enforced his contract. We can only see how the franchise does post-trade. If the offense doesn’t miss a beat, and we have a strong season and postseason showing, then I’ll feel good about the trade. Right now that deal gets a grade of “incomplete” from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think people are getting this a little twisted about “setting a precedent”. This wasn’t a player waking up one day who had been a model teammate and decided, I’m going to misbehave and get myself thrown off the team and obtain a new contract. This is a player who had mounting incidents for over a season that came to a head when he quit on the team and basically gave the middle finger to the owner by not returning his calls.

The Steelers had enough and made the choice they were better off without him regardless of talent lost.

Sometimes you break up with the hot girlfriend because the baggage just isn’t worth it anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

I never stated that you said that he would be a good citizen. I did ask you about it a while back and you avoided the question, instead replying by questioning the medias impact on locker room chemistry. In regards to that, note the late Coach Drake's quote to his team to "Shut out the noise" of the 2018 season.

Now that you've made yourself clear, I see the problem. You are formulating your opinion based solely on the tangible parts of the Brown trade, the 3rd and 5th rounders, while completely disregarding the intangibles, namely a less distracted and divided locker room. That's unrealistic and very short-sighed, but it does allow you to stick by your opinion that you are right, which is the most important thing to you, reality be damned.

As far as the obtaining the extra picks for the Bush trade, that's been clearly verified by Colbert. You can take that as truth, or you chose to call it a cover as it allows you to ignore another positive aspect to the trade and stick by your short-sighted and stubborn opinion. Have it your way, but realize that you are alone here. With every Brown antic it becomes clearer and clearer that the Steelers did the right thing even if they didn't get the pics that your thought that they should. Literally every one else here sees that larger picture but you.....

**edit**
    ...and SteelElvis :lolol:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I said that earlier in the thread. There's a lot that remains to be seen. But with each passing week seemingly bringing another Brown antic, the chances of the Steelers making the wrong decision regarding Brown decreases. And the season hasn't even started yet. Just wait until Oakland is 2-6 and Brown isn't getting the targets and numbers that he's accustomed to.

I agree.
    First, Brown was is a unique position. He was the best at his position which gave him amazing leverage. Not every good player will be in his spot.
    Second, the world is watching. And as I and others ^^^ have said, a lot remains to be seen with this trade, but so far it's looking shaky. If Brown continues to prove to be the distraction that he is, it's going to severely hurt if not kill the market for trading partners willing to take on a guy who choses this route to get off of a team. It's not like there were teams beating down the Steelers door this past winter for Brown. As Brown was forcing his way out of Pittsburgh, he was also killing his trade value. If the best WR in the game only gets a 3 and a 5, what is a lesser player worth? It takes 2 to trade.

Finally to your last point.......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Setting a precedent......

1). Very few players are in the position to do what AB did at end of last season. Who else can do it? I doubt you can name 5 players who could throw tantrums, dictate their terms, and get away with it.

2). AB hasn't played a game with Raiders yet, and he's showing anyone who pays attention to be wary of acquiring the bargain basement problem child. Now, maybe AB will have a stellar regular season that puts these concerns to rest. But, how many owners are ready to pony up $50 Mil on faith?

There will always be owners with more money than sense, there will always be coaches who think they can change a-holes. But neither will provide a model for success to copy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The above quote was stolen from Asa Baber (RIP) a great writer for the old Playboy magazine. It was from an article about why men roam and the quote was, "show me a good looking woman and I'll show you a man tired of F--K--g her".

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure wish Le'von Bell was causing problems in NY cause then we'd really have fun.

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    But Google said it was Scott Baio. :lolol:

That fun will come when the best O line in football isn't blocking for him anymore and he stutter steps and dances to 2 and 3 yard losses.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Was just coming to post this.
    This is turning out to be pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder if this is Tomlin’s fault?

18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Sounds like buyers remorse to me.

LOLOLOL this is great stuff. You absolutely KNOW that AB will take that as 'disrespect.'

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Ben looked at him funny.

20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I've never been a big fan of John Gruden but I will tune in to see how he handles this one man circus that he signed up for.:popcorn:

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A great question indeed! I asked Mike Tomlin this very same question!! Here is what he said!!

[​IMG]

:roflmao:

22. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Domino's.

Yea, I'd like to order a large pizza for delivery.......Please hold.

23. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

AB will blame Ben too...

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With all of the numbers AB put up, it led to zero Super Bowl wins or appearances, good riddance to that clown. The Steelers will be just fine with JuJu, Washington, and Diontae Johnson moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 2