1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup qb's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Trade Dobbs to the Eagles for something. Some soft pretzels or a late pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    nobody on Ben's level is on our team yet lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dobbs is a smart dude but even he can't figure out why he sucks lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Do they still have Ajay? That might be a nice insurance policy.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobb haters out again. You all didn't eat enough crow last year? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

You are impressed this is still going on?! I am AMAZED it even started way back when to begin with. Truly intriguing more so than unreal after the conclusion of the 2018 Draft for me.

Dobbs simply has more potential than Landry Jones. Not conjecture. Absolute fact. For that matter, even if Jones somehow was better than Dobbs, the selection of Mason Rudolph was the final nail in Jones' coffin. Ben indirectly ADMITTED to the fact; critquing the pick of Rudolph due to the fact that neither Dobbs nor Jones were threats. Mason Rudolph is. To expedite Mason's development, someone in the Quarterback Room was going to be shown the door.

Only one option. Bye- bye Landry Jones. :wave:

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yet Landry Jones is the only QB with NFL experience signed by the XFL. Which make Landry the face of the XFL. As ugly as that seems, its better than Vince McMahon's face being plastered all over the place for the next 8 or so months.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tommy Maddox won an NFL playoff game

He won the XFL super bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs didn't do much to make anybody eat crow. The Steelers hurt the team in 2018 by sticking with him as their No. 2. He made ONE great throw against Baltimore, then played horribly against a terrible defense in Oakland. Putting much of that game in his hands is a big reason the Steelers lost.

Jones wasn't there to be a threat to Roethlisberger. He was there to be a fill-in, something he did better during his career than Dobbs has done so far.

AQL incorrectly claims that it is a fact, not conjecture, that Dobbs has more upside. That is an opinion and opinions are not facts.

Dobbs isn't a good passer. He couldn't handle the full playbook. There is a very real chance he won't even make the team this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t know about crow, but I never fail to be amazed at how many LJ supporters appeared after he was cut.

At times he seemed to be the most hated player on the team when he was here.

I get the sense that any back up not named Charlie Batch is going to catch the ire of fans.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    While they have different styles/strengths, I tend to view Dobbs as being in a similar place performance-wise to where LJ was at the same point in his career. Neither was starter material, but neither was being asked to be. Dobbs has always been a project.

Against Oakland Dobbs didn’t step up, but I also think the game plan was flawed. I also don’t put too much stock in quality of defense, as some teams just seem to match us. I think Heinz made the point that we do badly against Oakland of late. So Dobbs at QB was part of the reason we lost, no doubt, but we shouldn’t ignore other elements as well.

I’ll add, though, that one of Jones’ strengths was his composure and attitude in the huddle. I just wonder if, alongside aspects of his throw, that’s something Dobbs isn’t great at.

12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It was against the Cleveland Browns!..Don't count!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The crow I was referring to was that Dobbs was going to be cut last year.

Even know I agree with AQL, that was not what I was talking about.

Dobbs won't be cut this season either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It was a big steaming plate of crow! I took a lot of **** for defending Dobbs :lolol:

Guess who was right...

[​IMG]

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Some people just LOVE to be right 100% of the time though. Have to remember that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I see Josh McCown came out of retirement to back up Carson Wentz. Just came out this A.M.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible, though I'm not sure how any of us would know about that with Dobbs. It was clear that they didn't trust him with the full playbook, something they were willing to do with Jones in the past.

The issue wasn't comparing Jones as a second-year player and Dobbs last season. It was choosing the backup who gave them the best chance if he had to play significant time in 2018 or saving a few bucks and going with the guy that would still be on the roster if they wanted him in 2019. They chose the latter.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There were two arguments. One was who they would cut. The other was who they should cut. I don't even remember if I stated a strong opinion on the former. If so, congratulations. You predicted one roster spot correctly and I got that one wrong.

My primary focus was on the latter argument, which was who they should cut. Dobbs' failure the one time the Steelers called upon him for more than a single play was evidence supporting Jones, not Dobbs. The coaches didn't even trust Dobbs with the full playbook, yet they went with him as their backup plan in case of an injury to Roethlisberger. That was a mistake and it was one of the things that cost them an embarrassing loss in Oakland. They are just lucky that was the only time Roethlisberger missed more than a play or two.

If you think Dobbs served any crow for you that day, well, you and I evaluate quarterback performance very differently.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So when’s the last time Landry Jones beat anyone but a 1-15 or 0-16 Browns team in meaningless week 17 games at home? He had that surprising relief appearance vs. the Cards at home in 2015. Other than that, not much. His relief appearance vs. the Seahawks later that season was 1-4 with 2 ints. We needed him in relief in the postseason that year, and he went 2-5 with an int. His road appearances were consistently poor, and to say that he would have won the game for us in Oakland is an opinion that has no factual support. I’m not saying that Dobbs is stellar by any means, but I think you’re overvaluing the NFL merits of the XFL’s newest star.

• Like Like x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Landry Jones came in for an injured Ben vs the Raiders in '15(?) and pulled out the win. Just sayin';+)

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say he was good. Jones was an average backup at best. He was just better prepared to step in last season. I don't think Jones or Dobbs are good quarterbacks. The decision would look even worse if Rudolph wins the No. 2 job this season and Hodges ends up making the team as No. 3 ahead of Dobbs. I still think it is most likely that Dobbs hangs around another year, but he's far from a lock to make this year's roster.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I pity you, to go through life so afraid of being wrong. News flash for you Scribe, you’ve been around for about 30+ years on this earth I’m guessing? You’ve been wrong a lot in that span.

I didn’t even have you in mind when I made the previous post, I was literally getting it from all sides during that debate, so I’m having fun with it, get over yourself.

It’s one and the same debate, everyone thought Dobbs should and would be the one they cut.

And you still don’t get that your opinion on the Raiders game is just that, an opinion. Based on nothing but a gut feeling, because our future HOF QB was moving the ball at will so naturally the guy who can’t even get another job in the NFL would have moved the ball as well.

You’re wrong, again. Accept it and move on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. It was really AB who pulled that game out. The game winning drive centered on a 57 yard gain off a short pass. Yeah, Landry threw the pass, but it was his only completion on the game winning drive, and it was mostly about AB making a play off a short, simple pass.
    2. That game was at home, and I mentioned in my post that he was terrible on the road - and last year’s loss in Oakland was on the road.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I posted an honest response, admitting one area in which I was wrong and pointing out the one where I am correct. You'll have to pardon me for sticking by my point of view when the evidence is on my side.

That game in Oakland was evidence that either Dobbs wasn't ready yet or he simply won't ever be good enough. Dobbs played badly. The Raiders generated very little pass rush and they couldn't cover the Steelers' receivers. It wouldn't be fair to expect Dobbs to play like Roethlisberger, but Dobbs was simply awful. We don't know what Jones would have done, but he was better prepared going into last season. He had more experience. He had played well at times in regular-season games. He clearly had a better command of the offense than Dobbs. All of that is evidence on my side.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, that's what the ';+)' was for.