1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Steeler fans may enjoy this

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Aug 13, 2019.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    ESPN will have an episode on Rocky Bleier next Tuesday night. They will go back to the Viet Nam days. As a Nam vet and huge fan of Rocky I am really looking forward to it. Some of you younger Steeler fans may enjoy it too.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It's amazing that Bleier lost part of his right foot from a grenade and went on to be a 4 time Superbowl champion and thank you steel machine for your service.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'll be watching with special interest. I got to see the Steelers practice live in SoCal just before the 1980 SB against Rams at Rose Bowl. As all the players were exiting the field and we (hundreds of fans) were all busily trying to get photos and autographs, out of nowhere, Rocky Bleier walks right up to me and extends his hand for a handshake. I was so much in shock that I forgot to ask for his autograph but just wished him well in the upcoming game. Derrrrr..........

Something similar happened in San Francisco after watching the Pirates play the Giants in April 1990 and I happened to be staying at same Hotel as the team and I bumped right into Doug Drabek in the bar who had just pitched the game and hit a home run in a winning effort. I was so caught up in the moment I gave him my scorecard for the game (circling his HR) and wished him well that season, he humbly said it was a long season ahead and thanked me. He merely went on to win the Cy Young Award that year, the last Pirate to do so and only the second in the last 60 years. And all because I gave him my scorecard. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to distract from the thread or all that Rocky has done for the organization and in serving his country but I want to ask if anyone else has noticed that he seems off lately. I mean he was on with Wolfe and Tunch during last preseason and he seemed very sporadic maybe. Not sure the word Im looking for. He was all over the place in his answers and seemed really jumbled when telling his stories and at least to me sounded like he would start three different sentences and go completely another direction. I hope he is in good health.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sounds like the onset of alzheimers, a very cruel condition. Wish Rocky the best

7. Brad Conrad

Brad Conrad Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I'm a huge fan, read his book when I was 12 years old. I still have the original copy. I cant wait to see this.

8. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    lso a lot not worth remembering.In Rockies case I tend to think that he has so much more info than most,that it takes more time to go thru them,more files of wisdom and experinces, Do not give Rocky a break, give him the respect he has earned

• Like Like x 1