1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin extended.... 1 year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Jul 25, 2019.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    October 30 2011
    Steelers 25 Patriots 17

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Did Rooney get caught on video paying for nookie at a massage parlor?
    Did the Steelers (as an organization, not just a player) get caught cheating, not once, but twice, this providing naysayers significant ammo to discredit their success?
    Did an active Steelers’ player commit murder, execution style?

Those little circus items are all from the NFL’s model organization, and dwarf instagram BS and a bit of locker room drama.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think that is true.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The difference is the Steelers fans (myself included) always held this organization to a higher standard, and so did the organization (seemingly).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think that’s Elvis’ point, though.

Part of holding the Steelers in high regard is a focus on certain parts of our history (strong defense, no-nonsense values etc) and brushing over the times that hasn’t been the case, like when Cowher reportedly lost the locker room around 2000, or when Noll was sued by his own player.

It’s less about not getting pissed at last seasons escapades, and more about acknowledging they aren’t the first time it’s happened, here or elsewhere. That doesn’t make it any less irritating, though..

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think we are being too hard on the organisation here. Look around the league, Michael Thomas just forced the saints to give him a massive new contract, Trent Williams is currently forcing his way out of Washington, Melvin Gordon etc, never mind the storm that is brewing in Dallas with Dak, Zeke and Cooper all looking for monster contracts.

The difference with the Steelers is that AB went completely nuclear all over social media to destroy his trade value, ensuring he got a big new deal, and I would not be at all surprised if the Raiders had tampered with him beforehand.

The team were correct in their decision not to pay Bell. They really did nothing wrong there imo. It was very unfortunate how it all played out and I don’t think many other players would have done what he did.

That’s not to say Tomlin, Rooney and Colbert don’t have their faults, of course they do but every team has its drama and it’s issues. Star players have huge power now and the owners must be getting very worried.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The only time Bell stayed healthy for the playoffs was 2017 :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ah I see. Should have told me that sooner. Oh wait, you indirectly have.

If Beating Bill Belichick truly is the ulitmate goal, Pittsburgh should just go 0-15 after playing at their highest level to secure a win in New England. If anything, attempting to beat New England cost us in back to back seasons; first time being back in 2017 when Tomlin stated on public television and then blowing leads to the likes of the Chargers and Raiders to finally beat New England.

Is that REALLY something worth accomplishing over sustained success?!

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I see your point, but the 2 incidents you pointed out were 20+ years apart, now it's nearly a weekly event and goes beyond speculation, (like Cowher losing the locker room, which I remember being Hasslett losing the defense) and outside of Pittsburgh media.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Both would be nice.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True, though I think at the time they were a series of events (like the Blount issue with Noll). But certainly not saying they’re all the same or comparable.

These days we have much more information and coverage, though not sure any less speculation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012

You and I have argued over Tomlin for the past 3 years - last year it was interesting to see posts from you arguing for Tomlin to be let go. So it's already in your head. Your thoughts and feelings are in denial

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What about when he didn't have them? :scratch:

And the argument has always been that Tomlin doesn't have a losing record because of Ben.

Brees and Rogers :scratch:

I'm no Tomlin apologist anymore and he certainly has his short comings but it's funny watching people do mental gymnastics to discredit an impressive stat like never having a losing season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting aspect is that, despite Tomlin's shortcomings in the playoffs, he is still second only to Bill in terms of winning percentage. This also accounts for the fact that Tomlin went 2-2 in 2015 without Ben. Tomlin has been horrible as so many would be led to believe.

Now, if there is one aspect I will agree with Heinz is the fact that his recent playoff shortcomings are disappointing.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sometimes on the weekend I get together with some other amateur exceptions hunters and we go out exception sighting. It's a beautiful thing to see one breach the surface the first time especially for new enthusiasts. Of course it can be discouraging when we have to go back home and have to fill out a lengthy works cited page so we give proper credit to those responsible but exceptions sighting isn't for those who aren't willing to work.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Commercial exception watching tours will do all of the paperwork for you. All you have to do is paste a link. Not as gratifying, but easy

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am excited for this year. If we get the 2007-2008 Tomlin, the Steelers will be successful. If we get the 2018 Tomlin, then we probably won't get the 2020 Tomlin. I personally believe Tomlin will have an epiphany and have the Steelers playing good football this year. Last year was a wake up call.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I get really excited seeing some of the camp pictures and write ups seeing what some of the new coaches have brought in, and the focus they are having on areas where the team is underperforming and then Tomlin opens his mouth and starts talking the same trash he has been saying the last few years and my excitement lessens. I really think Butler is DC in name only and Austin is running things more and more. Coach Mitchell was on with Tunch and Wolfe the other day and that was a good interview to hear.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tim Benz wrote an article about how the 2021 season may be interesting as Tomlin may leave by then, Colbert may retire, Ben could be gone. The Steelers may get more of a fresh start than we bargained for. That's the only way Tomlin goes, on his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Actually, players have dick for power. They had a chance in 2011 when they could have made that piece of **** Goodell burn along with the owners, but they folded like wet paper because they cant live without that weekly paycheck. They will fold again when the next CBA is up and it will be more epic than the last.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Collectively yes. But the top echelon of players have lots of power. All they need do is withhold their services or merely threaten to in some cases. Like I said, look around the league. It’s happening all over the place and these guys have the owners over a barrel because of all the money the teams have tied up in them and how much results will suffer if they are not playing. Look at what AB did recently and tell us again that players have no power!!

Lesser players cannot do this because the team can afford to sit them and let them sulk. Duke Johnson is an example of this. He is good but not a star player and therefore he has no leverage.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers won a lot of games over the past several years. They made the playoffs and had the opportunity to compete for the Supberbowl. As a fan I can be satisfied with those results.

What happens if the organization becomes a perennial loser? That might make some fans happy. Some people get their jollies from complaining. People don't have the proper perspective and take winning for granted.

3 players don't win championships. Better teams than the Steelers never won championships.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Some people believe that as long as they are not "the worst" they are fine.

Some people aspire to be the best they can and anything less is failure.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've heard that exceptions hunters have a really hard time determining if they have had an exceptional day or not

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s not the point I was making. I was making the point that drama is simply a part of the NFL, and even the most successful franchise isn’t immune. What they have that we don’t have is recent hardware - and lots of it. I’m more concerned with that than media-stoked drama. Put another way: win, and all of that drama means jack :poopy:. I’ll take a winner that’s a three ring circus full of egos over a bottom feeder any day.