1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer vs. Eli

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 17, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let the debate begin.:cool:

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Both are good #4s. Switzer seems to be more durable. WR is the least of the Steelers worries.... even with the departure of mr. little chest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I really like both. Eli has made many crucial catches for us over the years to move the chains and keep drives alive. He has good hands and Ben likes to look for him in certain situations. Switzer has been working towards that with ben. He is the better return man. I don't think one is more durable than the other. Eli is going on his 2nd year since the knee injury. Switz had off season shoulder surgery. Eli costs more. It may come down to that. I'd hate to see Eli to anywhere. Switzer either for that matter. Not a lot of room for everyone though. :cool:

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like both and should be an interesting camp watch. Eli had a good year in 2016, but injuries have been an issue, really has not shown much since then. Switz averaged a little more on punt returns, but not much.

If they go with 6 wr I think both will make the team, unless some other player just shows to much promise in preseason.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Switzer

1. Brings more to special teams as a returner
    2. Randy F. likes him, he had a ton of different schemes and packages with him last season.
    3. Ben likes those same packages.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Switz converted some key third down catches last season. He was a crucial piece in getting us to 2nd place imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    JuJu, Moncrief, D. Johnson are locks to make it. So what if James Washington goes to the PS? He is eligible. Then you could keep Switzer, Rogers and a bigger target like Johnny Holton (plus for his STs work possibly) or if another guy steps up like Griffey or Tevin Jones. Diontae Spencer has done some good things in CFL and OTA's but another 5'8" target may be too many.

I hate to say that about Washington because I was a fan of his college career and I think he will turn into a good NFL WR. Washington doesn't play STs and the NFL is flooded with WR prospects imo. I think his chance of being poached is small. If anything, Washington's move to the PS gives the team some more time to make a decision and can serve as insurance against an unfortunate injury. My fear is that his connection with Ben will follow the same path as Markus Wheaton, the two just never seemed to click.

TC and preseason will be huge factors, that we all know.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    But if they only keep one between Switzer and Rogers then I am pulling for Switzer. You can't deny the chemistry him and Ben seem to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Washington was a 2nd round choice that showed growth at the end of the season. He wouldn’t last an hour on the PS before being claimed. Who would pass up a free 2nd in exchange for a #53 UDFA who they could send to their own PS. IMHO

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Don’t sleep on JW. He may be the #2 guy week one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like James Washington and have said so many times, I am not sleeping on him. I hope he is the #2.
    I'm just saying what if he can't figure it out during TC and preseason? Do they cut Switzer or Rogers and take a gamble on Washington figuring it out?

And I think Washington going to the PS is slim but it has a small chance to happen. I wouldn't want to lose him either. It may come down to deciding between one of those three IF Holton proves too valuable on STs. (assuming they keep 6 WRs)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Washington showed growth and every indication is he is light years ahead from last year. It will come down to Eli, Switz, and/or any camp star who breaks out. To suggest Washington to the PS is simply ridicules, they would be better off just trying to trade him for a 5th or 6th rounder.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The choice to keep one of two average wr's is a hard one. Even harder throwing in all the other average wr's in the mix. J2S2 is the only lock in my opinion since he's proved to be the #1 wr. All else gets settled starting next week. To answer the question I"d go with Switzer only because he was here last year and Eli was not. I like them both equally.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've made that comparison with Wheaton before, hope it doesn't go down that route.

Disagree with the PS though, he showed improvement down the stretch and needs to be on the filed to build off that. I also think he'd be poached quickly if they tried to put him on there.

They'll probably carry 6 anyway.

JuJu
    DJ
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Switzer
    Rogers

I don't think any of those other names you mentioned stands a chance of making the 53.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think Switzer makes it, #7 will get him on the squad though.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe Switzer has shown enough, and the guy seems to have a lot of heart. If you have two guys that are similar, you go with the guy who has heart in my opinion. Not a bad problem to have either way though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like what I see in Switzer more than Eli. As others have pointed out, Switzer is the more capable returner. The same skill set also makes Switzer more dynamic with the ball in his hands after a reception, or even on occasional runs. Eli has been a solid receiver for us at times, but I don’t see anything dynamic in his game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Switzer is better in the return game, but I think Rogers is a more complete receiver at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see both on the roster. They often go with six and this time it could be Smith-Schuster, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer and Rogers.

19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Washington to the practice squad is not going to happen. As a no. 2 draft pick, he would be picked up in a New York minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It may come down to the return game and special teams. Spencer does have that ability and speed. Not sure about holten, griffey and jones. Jones was close to making this team last year I thought. He and griffey did work with Ben in the off season. Switzers shoulder surgery has to be a concern. Every one of these backups have some strengths, what those strengths bring to team need will differ. Who has the most diversity may get the spot. It may be neither of these two. It may be both. Who can do more? Who can block and tackle? Who can return punts? Who can play slot and outside? If you can block, tackle, return punts, play slot and jump outside, you will have a job.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hey, it wasn't my most well thought out post :lolol:. For some reason I was thinking he was a 3rd, but still a 3rd is high for the PS. I should have said if JW stinks up camp and preseason he may see a lot of time on the inactive 53 just because he doesn't play STs. But that is only if they want to keep Switz and Eli and if a WR like Holton steps up on STs like DHB.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol at Washington going to the practice squad.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I was as critical of Washington as anybody here last season, but I can't see the Steelers making him available to the rest of the league like that. It seems safe to assume that he is a lock to make the roster along with Smith-Schuster, Moncrief and Johnson.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You all say Switzer brings more to special teams, What really has he done on ST? Has he broken anything?
    Our new guy coming in will take care of the special teams. Eli is by far the better WR. But as I said,
    #7 will make sure he makes the squad.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you mean this? In addition to Eli making it or over him? because Ben has a strong relationship with Eli too.