1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

18 gm schedule

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jul 15, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only way I look at it favorably is if the full 53 is active on game day or increased to 60 and the PS is made inactive on game day. Otherwise the first and last games could be poor product.

2. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I have mixed feelings about this. As much as I think that 4 preseason games is too much, I am not sure adding two more games is wise. Our players have enough injuries with 16 games, I would think 18 games would be worse. It is more important to have healthy players for the playoffs.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Better off adding in another bye week for everyone. Why should teams pick players to sit?! Does not make sense to me.

If the league can generate $500 million more via revenue, then the teams should get another week off.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    16 games is adequate. 18 is too much, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Increase the cap, increase the squad size and eliminate pilfering of the practice squad during the season. Also eliminate having to keep a ps player active for so many weeks if there is an injury. Then add a bye week.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    One of the more asinine ideas I have ever heard. Owners and that dip**** Goodell never cease to amaze me on how greedy AND stupid old men in suits can be when it comes to making money they will never spend in their lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So two games out of the year you are asking fans to pay top prices for tickets to watch back up QB's, let alone the other stars who sit in the other games, that is just one issue. The other is increased injury risk, and player (and likely fan) fatigue. While 4 pre-season games does appear to many, coaches really need time to evaluate incoming talent. Now even with 4 preseason games the vets sit out most of the snaps, then the first game or two of the season is often sub par football. This is just lubricious.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I believe the 16 game schedule is sufficient to determine who advances to the playoffs. I believe more games risk diluting the game in the long run after maybe a gain in revenue for a few years. Sometimes more is not always better. I am wondering why now this idea is being spewed out in the media. I could have told them more games would get them more money years ago. Are they looking to expand overseas or some other strategic move that makes this more than just a money grab?

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    18 games is a money grab.

Keep it at 16.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Baseball has too many games. Hockey has too many games. Football is just fine at a 16 game schedule. 4 and 5 preseason games is as idiotic as charging full price for those meaningless games.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Shorten the pre season, keep the 16 and make the bye week smack dab in the middle of the season for everyone! If we're really worried about fairness and injury that is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    14 used to be enough too. Everyone goes to the two they added, why wouldn't they go to two more? They will end up out pricing themselves. They really already have. I said years ago this will become a source for corporations to fill the stadiums and the general public will pay ticket prices to watch it on tv. Pay for veiw style. Don't think they haven't thought of it.:cool:

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I thought of this scenario awhile ago. Many issues with it, but I like the idea of it. You would have to decide which games and which players. Would up the strategy level every week. Do you sit Ben against the Browns and let Dobbs try and take them...or do you play Ben against AFC because of the playoff complications. Do you sit both Ben Conner and JuJu at the same time? The backup QB needs weapons, but will he be able to get JuJu the ball the way Ben would. Would the game plan be more run oriented without Ben...so you better play your best RB and Oline....but then again..you dont want backup Olinemen protecting the franchise. I think they would need to expand the rosters for that to even be an option. Then would you say just play all your backups against a team like the Patriots simply because they always beat you...or again...You are flying out to play the Rams in LA....play the backups against a top rated NFC team and take the L on the chin so you are at full strength against the AFC.

HACK

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That's funny! Fairness, injury :lolol: It's all about the money.

Well said!

Let me make it simple for you, it's a money grab.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yep

Baseball should be 100 games, hockey 50, maybe 60 tops. Not an NBA fan but I’d guess that they’re the same as hockey. Make each game mean something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Baseball would be fine Memorial Day to labor day

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think folks in the NFL office are just trying to see how long it takes for the Browns to have an 0-18 season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I mean duh... But if we're just playing along

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point it's all symantics. Is it a money grab? Definitely. But the reality is that the players already play a 20 gm schedule it's just that four of those gms don't count for anything and the starters play maybe a gm and a half total. So it will come down to what the Union can negotiate at the next CBA meetings.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So does my kids summer break from school as i used to be. My son started the school year July 31st last year. Everyone complained and now they ease them in Aug 7th.:rolleyes:

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    And some teams could play 24 games (with the last one more important).
    Now try adding 2 more regular season games, and probably another playoff game. :blackeye:

22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Oh, we know it's all about money. However if we're lead to believe it's player related and what's best blah blah blah... Let them coaches coach without being limited. Extend training camp, shorten pre season and again, level the playing field by putting the bye week smack dab in the middle for everyone. It won't happen so I dont know why we all engage around this subject. increase the roster size (player health/evaluation) would show a positive in this regard for ALL clubs. Keeping a bye week mandatory same week for all clubs keeps the playing field leveled... Who wants/needs a bye week in week 3? The league will be just fine taking a break mid season for all 32. Eliminate foreign soil games period!

Leave that **** to the NBA and MLBor soccer.hone you're league and let the chips fall. For crying out loud, restore the pro bowl to after the bowl and the u.timate capper is make beeshes honor their contract. I'm drunk gnight

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A more watered down product. Would be bad football, people are
    paying good money to see.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No bye week. All starters must sit that week and backups and PS players must play that one.:hehehe::cool:

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Make ALL the games regular season (no preseason)

No bye week, run the wheels off everyone (injuries be damned)

70 man rosters