1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

D-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 13, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We might as well look at this front too. Not as empty as many think.

The obvious Tyson alualu 6-3 304. 32 y/o 10 year.

Isaiah buggs 6-3 295 22 y/o draft pick Alabama

Winston Craig 6-4. 291 23y/o 1year Richmond

Greg Gilmore 6-4 311 24y/o. Rookie. LSU

Levon Hooks 6-3 312. 27 y/o. 1 year. Mississippi. practice squad for 3 plus 2 training camps.

Dan McCullers. 6-7 356. 26 y/o 6th year. Tennessee.

Henry Mondeaux 6-4 280 23y/o. 1 year. Oregon

Casey Sayles. 6-3. 289 23 y/o 1 year. Ohio U.

Conner Sheehy. 6-4 295. 22 y/o. 1 year. Wisconsin

Tyson is getting up there. Dan has been a disappointment. Not sure how he is going into year 6. We have some young guys. Sheehy is only 22 and has a year under his belt. He was pretty good at Wisconsin and a team captain. Buggs is a guy we are banking on. Sayles, one of my favorites, played in the AAF after going through camp last year. They brought him back. He was a play maker at OU. Quick off the edge and disruptive in the backfield. The cupboard is not bare if a couple of these guys commit and show something. Keeping them here on the PS gives us depth to build on with familiarity of our system. Tyson is getting old and Dan needs unseated.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Looking at that list I find myself really hoping we don't suffer any long term injuries. I'm probably most hopeful about Buggs.

Not as confident in that depth as I am for the Oline.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree with Blast.

Beyond Isaiah, whom I do not understand how he fell that far, the others are relative unknowns. I do like Sayles' chances to earn a spot this time around though given his recent stint.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think this is the year Hooks makes the 53. I like several of these young guys. Eagles and energy for sure. Now is the time to find them for next year.:cool:

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I can't disagree. But how would we tell when he has done enough to not be a disappointment?

(I don't mean pie-in-the-sky all-pro numbers, where it would be obvious. I mean the line where it is just enough for fans to not grumble as much.)

I was looking at Hampton's stats. 12 seasons. 9 sacks total. 4 forced fumbles total. Career high of 43 tackles (solo+assist) in a season (where he started all 16 games).
    If a fan didn't know about Hampton's role on the defense, and just quoted stats, Casey would sound like a disappointment.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We

I'd look at hargraves numbers for comparison over hamptons. We don't run as much 3-4 as we did then. Our usage for that spot has changed. We need more splash from that spot even in the two down linemen sets. Dan is a straight on pusher that doesn't play down the line at all. Hampton in his early years made teams have to use more than one blocker on him, dan doesnt. There is more to that position then just stats that make the rest of the defense work well. At his size he should demand more blockers and he just doesnt. :cool:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good analogy.

The thing about getting sacks is you have to forward to get them. Hampton didn’t go forward. But, he also didn’t go backwards.