1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy 4th

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ben There, Jul 4, 2019.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Cool. Did not know that. Plus they gave us those fab pastries and very tall canines. :lolol:

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    All's well - thanks for asking Blast. The epicenter was exactly 100 miles away and it shook for over a minute down here to the south along US 395. (I was sitting at my computer and timed it). It built to a crescendo at about 20 seconds in. Rolling motion only, no violent shaking as I've felt with closer and shallower EQ's in the past in 1971, 87 and 94. Have several hanging ornamental art piece that continued swaying for several minutes afterwards. A 6.4 is a heavy hitter if you're close in like Ridgecrest. I'm wondering about damage to their neighboring China Lake Naval Weapons Base after seeing videos of all the damage to liquor stores in those parts.

Why did I not know you resided nearby over in Buck Owens country Dobbler? What's weird is that they (Caltech/USGS) issued a 15 minute pre-warning for Bakersfield about an hour after Ridgecrest was hit. Never heard if that materialized. Saw pics on Facebook of severe damage to the pavement on Trona Rd heading north towards Death Valley. I can sit on my front porch swing and see the San Andreas running just below Wrightwood in the nearby San Gabriel Mtns north face about 15 miles away as the crow flies. Comforting thought that I'll have beachfront property when that baby slips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I thought I brought that up with yinz once upon a long time ago. Yeah my brother was working up there felt all the afters as well. Everyone here at the house but me felt it. I saw the stores up there had a lot of aisle clean up, also the split in the asphalt road and some establishment knocked off their stilts. Thankfully it's just threw some water out of my pool down here. Kids weren't tripping at all however I said next time let a brother know and we can you know get out of the house or something right quick. Hahahahahaha so much for all of their desk drills!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Glad to see you guys in good shape after that. We had one in ohio about 2-3 weeks ago near cleveland. A 4.4. We have quite a fault in the East side and middle of merica too. Most people don't know that. Trivia for the day. Stay safe yinz guys. :cool:

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe it is called the New Madrid Fault in Mo? Biggest quake ever in the lower 48 - over 8.0 back in 1800's, reversed flow of Mississippi River to flow north for a while and rang church bells in New Orleans. That's big.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes. Now throughout ohio ,pa. and wv., We have added a ton of oil and gas fracking which doesn't help that either. Mother nature is still in charge when she wants to be.:cool:

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Glad you and Dobbler are okay. Some people down here claim to have felt it. I'm not one of them.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, yeah, we had too many colonies anyway :drinks:

Hope you all had a good one.

I think the UK paid off in 2014 or so. Or transferred balance to another interest-free card, I dunno.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't know you were in Bakersfield. I can never hear that name and not think of the Butcher of Bakersfield.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Do a half decent Schwarzenegger impression to boot hahahahha