1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFLPA should negotiate cancelling franchise tag and 5th year option

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Diamond, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Clearly a player friendly article. He uses Shaziers injury as justification yet if there was no 5th year option and he had signed a lucrative contract prior to his injury, the team would have been out of the guaranteed portion of the contract. Doubt the writer would shed a tear for that.

You should be able to keep your 1st rd pick for 5 years if you want. I do think the franchise tag may be gone after the next CBA and that's probably fair.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I look for a strike, unless major things can happen in the CBA agreemenrt.
    The players want more leverage. I am afraid you and I will be paying to watch our favorite team on TV
    when they play.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd settle for an expanded roster. It would be nice to see some of the back-ups actually get used as back-up when a starter is clearly playing hurt.

I'm thinking getting rid of the franchise tag might hurt some of the players in certain positions. Some of those guys wouldn't be getting what they get if they didn't have a superstar getting that franchise tag money pushing the payscale up.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually see the owners digging deeper to prevent the issues such as AB and Bell and all the others now hitting the headlines. I’m not seeing the players gaining ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    AB will definitely be a case study before they move forward. Players will most likely see their guaranteed money capped or refundable after that circus.

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I disagree. With the lifespan of an NFL career I believe 1st round should be capped at 4 years, everyone else 3. Example, a RB gets drafted at age 22/23 and is not a free agent until 27/28. Who is going to want to pay him at that age?

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This might be wrong thread to post in, but I posted this last year about LevBell... Pandora’s box has been opened... now 2 of the top few running backs are sitting out instead of just 1.

It’s a bad look for the NFL when they are missing their big stars. If this is something we got to put up with where stars are just sitting out I’m going to stop watching. They got to figure this out, so this type of stuff doesn’t happen.