1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who will be the X receiver?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Much like the Pass Rushers of old where your best rusher would come from one side, Wide Receivers are also experiencing a new metamorphosis of sorts. Now, as opposed to the "X" being in one spot or even motioning, why not have him in another spot or even kick inside. For that matter, why not make another receiver the "X" and disguise the real "X".

This is going to be one interesting Pre Season for certain. For that matter, many subplots to boot. We are in for one heck of a ride!! Cannot wait!! :herewego:

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Moncrief all the way

Diontae Spencer will come in to spell. Johnson, Switzer and Rogers will make up the #3. Ben and Switzer are like "Wonder Twins activate" and create a dynamic duo.... So juJu, Moncrief and Switzer with Spencer getting valuable reps as the #2

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The X receiver is the split end. He lines up on the line of scrimmage, usually opposite the tight end. He has to deal with press coverage from an outside corner more often than any other position. If you move your X receiver, he’s no longer the X receiver, just like if you move your left tackle inside to guard, he’s no longer playing left tackle. X = split end. Y = tight end. Z = flanker. Slot = slot (no letter designation).

I think Moncrief’s combination of long speed and size gives him the opportunity to be successful as the X with Ben at QB. He has shown the ability - at times- to beat press coverage and force safety help. Ben loves chucking it downfield, and Moncrief will be a deep target.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Until Ben learns the alphabet we can't use that anyway. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Moncrief & the rookie with JuJu there every now & then.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know who is going to start the season there but I feel DJ will finish there. I think the stat line in your sig will be pretty spot on.

I like what Joe Haden had to say about him, thats what I see when I watched him.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...son-impressing-teammates-and-coaches-nfl-news

• Like Like x 1
  9. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I trust Diontae Johnson and Kevin Colbert's track record more than most. I still would like to have seen Hakeem Butler but what is done is done. Besides, I should have known how versatile Kevin Colbert likes his players; Receivers especially. :lolol:

Given the fact that there is no more Antonio Brown, I expect the ball to be spread a bit more. Furthermore, I do expect James Washington to be much better this season. If he showcased the ability to finish the season strong, no reason to assume he can pick up right where he left off; his upbringing being a big factor.

This in turn will lead Diontae to have a quality rookie season. He should fit in well with the offense.