1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson ranked one of the biggest offseason additions in the NFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems as if Kansas City saw Steve as a major reason why they lost yet fail to realize Bob Sutton has been a major reason why Kansas City was ousted multiple times out of the playoffs. Sutton should have been fired a year ago in my opinion.

Now, regarding Steve, I do not believe that the AFC Championship game was all his doing. Yes, he definitely did not play well that game but was solid all season up to that point. Furthermore, not having a pass rush against Brady is essentially a guaranteed fast track towards a loss. I believe that, with the likes of TJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave and Devin Bush, Steven Nelson will be in better standing.

Only major questions defensively are Sean Davis and Bud Dupree. Even if one works out over the other, the defense will be better. However, one of the two HAS to actually perform this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. What the article didn’t mention is that Nelson moved to the outside last year after playing quite a bit in the slot prior to last season. He had his best season to date after moving outside, and seems to be a player on the rise. This was a very solid signing, and having Haden and Nelson gives us quality starters at both corner spots, three corner spots if you include Hilton’s slot position. If we stay healthy at the CB position, Layne will have time to learn without being thrown into the fire too quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm mixed right now. Haden playing softball in Cleveland and saying how he wishes they were that good when he was there and in a contract year and nursing a hamstring. Is he setting himself up for a return to a talent laden Brown's team? Yes nelson may be a good pickup for now but we are not that deep and are a player away from being pretty bad.

Hilton isn't signed yet and that is only for a year. Sutton and allen have not taken the next step and next year is their last season under contract. Artie, well I hate to say may be needed. layne probably should be seeing the field to get ready to play. After that we are not real deep for any period of time. I'm hoping allen and layne get some field time. We need them to.:cool:

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Was the chiefs pass rush really that bad in 2018, they had Ford, Houston and Jones on that side of the ball I thought it was in the secondary where they really fell short?

Either way Nelson should be a solid upgrade over Sensabaugh and the addition of The experienced Barron and youthful Bush should also help. It will be a huge disappointment if the Steelers continue to have the same issues as they had in 2018. How many first rounders are in that defence? I count about eight, it has to improve.

It would be fantastic if Layne turned out to be good, when was the last time the Steelers picked a good corner? I’m sure they would like to lock up Hilton for a few years but the cap situation does not allow it at the moment. Hopefully they can get it done next off season assuming he keeps playing well.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hope they are proactive with re-signing Hilton this year. If he goes on to have a good year, his price tag will only go up. I still think slot corner is the toughest spot to play on defense. You have to defend so many different types of players. A good slot corner is HUGE imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like Haden a lot, he has openly stated he wants to finish his career as a Steeler. That said, he is 30. How much guaranteed money can you give a 30 yo CB and how long is the contract? I do not know if the Steelers can put the numbers out there he feels he is worth. As much as I like him, I really do not want to be paying top money for a guy who's decline (and more injury prone) are inevitable.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not to mention the fact that, whenever Haden simply cannot continue to play at his level anymore hopefully sometime after 2019, Justin Layne will be ready to step in. Better if Justin learns the fundamentals and principles first. Rushing him likely means another "Artie Burns".

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus the Browns cut him, not sure how much they'd want him back now anyway and on the wrong side of 30.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    For the right price you sign him, but can they afford Nelson type money for him, and sign others?

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Chiefs had 52 sacks last season, so it's hard to tell how good or bad Nelson was.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One stat by itself can also be misleading. Chiefs played with leads, so opposing offenses were more pass happy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It'll be easy enough to tell before too much longer. I expect him to be an upgrade and an upgrade is pretty significant in these parts. However I reserve the right to expect degenerative output along the lines of the secondary per recent history HAHAHAHAHA here's to hoping he more than pans out!

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it was just a wishfull thinking type thing. Where you look at the team that drafted you and how long they were losers and to be gone when they start putting the right pieces together, you think about what could been. When they finish below 500 again he will be done with that.

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I doubt the Steelers would had signed Nelson to 25 mill if they believed it was hard to tell how good or bad he played. There was enough game film to evaluate Nelson's contributions and abilities.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The chiefs pass rush and secondary wasn't that bad. They had ILB troubles like we did. They couldn't stop the run and that hurt the secondary having to help in run support. Sound familiar? Say too many dbs with way too many tackles. It hurts pass coverage plain and simple. Fix the lber and dline situation and I wouldn't mind a guy like sensabaugh being back. All this would make the safeties and corners better. Too many assignments and too much ground to cover makes these guys look much worse then they are. :cool:

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    How many seasons did the Steelers front seven play to the benefit of Ike Taylor?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

the defense and offenses have changed since then. :cool:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well they signed Ladarius Green and Morgan Burnett :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    IMHO Chiefs had no pressure on Brady in playoffs... the front 7 did the secondary no favors.

Plus he was the CB picked on because of Marcus Peters on the other side and Nelson didn't fold. He held is own.

I think it is a solid signing, not great, but definitely solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Both those players performed for other teams before they were signed. I doubt they would had signed any FA players if they didn't evaluate those players. It really isn't that complicated.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you referring to last year or prior years. Peters was with the Rams last season.

23. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes, I realize Peters was on the Rams, I'm just talking about his career in general with the Chiefs, not just last season.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    most teams somehow disappear vs the Patriots pedestrian O line in the playoffs lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I know right?

Tunch and Wolfe always break down the Patriots offensive line and say how terrible they are individually. Tunch and Wolfe are ex-players that break down tape on a weekly basis. It completely amazes me how Patriots o-line puts it together when it counts...

• Like Like x 1