1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, May 25, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you aren't watching the HBO series Chernobyl, you are missing out.

Excellently done, story telling, actors, capturing the scope of the catastrophe and how much worse it could have been. Awesome show.

Only 3 episodes in so won't take long to catch up if you haven't been watching.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This was absolutely fantastic. Tonight was the last episode.

I never knew how the reactor actually melted down. People in charge were so arrogant and of course there was a serious design flaw.

Lot of heroes too who sacrificed themselves to help prevent an even greater tragedy and to set the record straight.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Finally caught this series on the weekend. Really really good.

Episodes 1,2 and 5 are amazing. 3 is brutally tough to watch due to the content. Very powerful. 4 seemed a bit like filler to me but a couple of good scenes in it.

I think they did a pretty good job introducing Chernobyl to a generation who may not have known anything about it.

I definitely recommend.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This show is on my list to watch. I hear it is pretty good.

I always wonder about stories that have popped up lately of people who never left their homes there, and they don't have any adverse affects? Not sure if they at least left for a few months during the melt down?

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw Russia has condemned the series and will be releasing their own version. They are going to be blaming the CIA. Funny how their first investigation blamed human error.

Anyway, yeah, some of those scenes of victims suffering from radiation exposure are brutal.

Common sense tells you that the official count of loss of life was way greater than the 37 Russia reported. I’d say it’s closer to the 90,000 estimate that the shown reported on when they said its unknown how many lives have been lost but estimates are 4,000-90,000. You just have to wonder how far that radiation blew. Even 90,000 could be generous.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    IIRC from the series, no one was allowed to remain in their homes. For their own safety and others, so they couldn't carry radiation anywhere else. Remember, this was Russia, you didn't get a say in staying. They were told they could come back in 3 months I think but were never allowed back. It's amazing what they had to do to decontaminate the area.

And I highly doubt that if anyone remained in that vicinity that they'd still be alive.