1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Burns be released?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't see it either unless it's to make a move for someone else but you're right 1st round busts tend to linger in this neck of the woods

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't think he will get released this year because of his no. 1 draft status. But I also think that what the problems he has cant be fixed. His problems now are deep in his head very similar to Limas Sweed problems. Hope Im wrong on this but when it gets that deep in your head it's very difficult to fix.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Artie was clearly in the doghouse. After making a big deal about how he was the key leading up to the NE game, and after he left Hogan uncovered by 50 yds, he got benched for the rest of the season.

That's pretty damning. Maybe they'll give him a chance to compete for a spot, maybe they've run out of patience with him. Right or wrong, Want to set a msg to the team that it ain't business as usual? Cutting Artie might be attention getter you're looking for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would not be surprised. Artie has regressed badly since the midway point of 2017. He played fine in the first four weeks of that season. What happened?! :eek:

As it stands, there are a lot of corners on this team anyway. Artie is essentially another player fighting for a roster spot. That said, I wonder if someone is willing to trade?

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I'll bite, what do you offer to get Artie? Even if I was another GM convinced I could rehab him, I'll wait till mid August and see if the Steelers will cut him. If they don't, how does a 7th round pick in 2021 sound? Remember Justin Gilbert?

7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think he makes it but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There are three of them that they need to make a decision on Burns, Cam Sutton and Brian Allen and then work with Hilton to get his new deal signed.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think he will be released unless if he's just awful in camp and pre-season games then anything would be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think you've made the case for getting rid of him. Why wait? Let's move on to something better regardless of who mistakenly made him a high draft pick. I hope he can get into the game but can't wait forever.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm on board with this train of thought. Dupree needs to hear this message. Pittsburgh does develop a lot of UDFAs so they are a team that doesn't discriminate that way, but if Burns hasn't progressed this TC and preseason, there is really no need to have him take a spot from someone else.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What's the price of a corners 5th year option? Can he out play sutton and allen? What will haden and hilton cost next year with that 5th year option?

Next year is sutton and allen final year.
    Haden and hilton will be free agents.
    Burns will be in his option year.
    We will have Nelson and layne signed.
    Someone has to evolve out of burns, sutton and allen to starter status this year.
    This position could turn critical in a year.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't necessarily see him being released however I do expect he will be riding the pine alot

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope not. If he can't get on the field it's time to move on.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Burns can't be fixed because it isn't just confidence. His lack of understanding what opposing offenses do and what he is suppose to do really impedes his game. Artie is a long stride runner, he can't change direction or stop quickly and while he is fast he isn't quick. He relies on guessing to jump routes and it worked for a bit until teams got tape on him.

Now they exploit that trait and what we see are long completions given up every single time he is in the game. To help him they had him play off the ball but he was giving so much cushion that simple curls and dig routes were getting 25 yards. He was never a good pick from the beginning, a total reach but I believe it was desperation as the secondary was really bad.

The worst part is that Artie also tries to avoid contact so in addition to giving up long pass plays he often misses tackles. I was hoping that perhaps Bradley could teach him and improve his technique but I now believe he doesn't have the I.Q. to learn defensive schemes to at least be able to play zone. Someone said he would be ok if all he had to do was play press man coverage, well that would work as long as the receiver ran a straight line every time.

I think Artie's only way to stay in the NFL regardless of team is to take a major pay cut and be regulated to special teams entirely, similar to what DHB has done. I hope this young man has a good financial advisor as his time will probably come to an end within the next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is my take on Burns as well. He really did start off 2017 playing well, but just fell apart and hasn't been able to regain any level of competence since.

I can't imagine any team would trade for him. He is a horrible cornerback. It isn't just the lack of confidence. It isn't just technique, either. As BK pointed out, he doesn't change directions quickly enough. Even if you could fix Burns mentally and improve his technique, he is still limited in his upside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am hopeful as well but what I have seen so far is that Artie cannot play at a high professional level.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he lapsed mentally and he wasn't that great physically lol

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was listening to the Post Gazette's Ray Fittipaldo on 93.7 the fan this morning and he said the exact same thing. In fact he said that Burns is working with the first team defense.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He is way down the depth chart, even if he shows something in camp, at best he is the 4th on the depth chart.

They won't keep him over Layne ... best we can hope for is we trade Burns for a pick.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Philidephia's Howie Roseman could likely be a possible candidate. If there is anyone who's phone line is always open, he is one of the few GMs I would know to do it. Another one would be Brett Veach. He has been known to take former 1st to early draft picks and roll the proverbial dice.

Now, as to what they want exactly?! Difficult to say at this point. As Mac Daddyo indirectly pointed out, 5th year option players are tricky; corners like Artie doubly so. Most importantly;

It is all about finding the right price for both parties.

24. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Wasn't Burns responsible for the Patriots only TD last year?? Where his guy was open by 50 yards?? I think they'll save $800K & cut him before camp...

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will not be surprised to see him gone and this is more than just an 800K savings. He is gonna count 3.051 mil on our cap and if we cut him pre June 1 we will save 1.757 mil and cost is 1.293 mil. With us only having just over 1 mil in cap space total and with Haden, Nelson, Layne, Hilton and Sutton is there really room to keep Burns and his 3 mil cap hit? IMO this is a no brainer see ya Artie............