1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Edmunds seem like an afterthought?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are seriously jumping the shark on the slightest of evidence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly. Hearsay from your mouth to the message forum. Leonard isn't an allpro Steelers linebacker. He is an allpro linebacker in a different defensive scheme. It's like hiring a Chinese cook to replace your favorite italian cook.
    Edmunds would have been allpro for the Colts last year if Pittsburgh didn't draft him. Some of my own hearsay.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard earning All-Pro honors as a rookie wasn't slight evidence.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gotta love AQL giving you a winner tag for misusing a word, especially given his own love for digging into his thesaurus as he posts.

But let's put aside the fact that you still aren't using hearsay correctly. Your metaphor doesn't hold up, either. Your suggestion that an All-Pro couldn't handle a different scheme is the deviation from the facts. I'm basing my argument on what those two players did. Leonard earned All-Pro honors. Edmunds was a below-average starter who only got that much responsibility due to injury. You are the one speculating here when you claim that Leonard wouldn't have been great in the Steelers' defense. Your point would still be wrong even if you were using the correct word. By the way, in case you didn't figure it out from context, speculation is the word you're looking for to make your point.

The Steelers could have had a better player at a position of need, but they reached for Edmunds instead. It's that simple.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This whole argument about the Steelers somehow messing up by not taking Leonard is beyond ridiculous. Especially If we’re using hindsight as the argument.
    Based on the season Leonard turned in he seemed like a player worthy of a first round selection? Based on that every team including the Colts passed on him.
    If we could build a team based on hindsight we’d never lose.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Holy Cow Glenn!! What I have been saying. You are NOT kidding!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not hindsight. I thought they should have taken Leonard at the time. They were definitely reaching on Edmunds. I've been critical of that pick since the day they made it.

I just have more evidence now to support what I've been saying all along. AQL should know this because he has been in this debate across many threads for quite a while, so it's not exactly honest of him to say it is all hindsight now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah that was a good call on your part, but it’s ultimately hindsight with the chest pumping and “I told you so’s” I agree we had a need for an ILB and Leonard probably should’ve been the pick, but he wasn’t. The Steelers took who they took right or wrong.

I guess I just don’t see the need to continue to beat a dead horse over and over.

This is just my opinion and I may be wrong who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, it was initially just a little teasing jab at a poster who has often made it a mission of his to take shots at me. Then people actually started arguing the point again, so I obliged.

As you said, Leonard should have been the pick. It's not really chest-thumping given that people continue to argue the point.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My choice of words probably want the best. And you guys are pretty passionate about your position on the subject so I probably just should’ve stayed out of it.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nah. You're fine. I'm just quite stubborn when I'm right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Or wrong. Depends on who you talk to.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Have you figured out what hearsay means yet?

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had to Goggle this phrase. I was afraid it was similar to “choke the chicken”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Figured you would know that one considering it involves Fonzie.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yet none of us recall you saying they should've taken Leonard before the draft :facepalm:, you waited until he performed like a All-Pro, to bring up all this hindsight nonsense :shrug:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, I criticized the pick from the very beginning. We've had this part of the discussion many times. Let's be clear here. I don't know you. I don't care about your opinion enough to lie. I said it was a mistake at the time and Leonard's rookie season proved me right.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not saying you didn't criticize the Edmunds pick, many fans did, my point is at the time you weren't saying Leonard should've been the pick.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was saying that, too, though to be fair, he wasn't the only alternative I suggested. I also thought Nick Chubb was a better option. In hindsight, that isn't quite as good of an alternative.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They should have taken Tom Brady in the 2000 draft instead of Tee Martin. Man, that decision really pissed me off at the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Are you attacking the poster & not the post?
    That's just like conceding.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    hooked on phonics bruh :)

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, Scribe may still say they should have taken Leonard over him but if Edmunds plays like a first rd talent then there is no argument to be made that they reached. Steelers will have proven themselves right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.