1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The culture of this team is changing, But.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Glad we got rid of 2 cancers on this team. It sounds like they are serious about getting back to hard nosed, blue collar football. All that is just talk so far at this point. Now, I think they should take it one step further and say goodbye to all the stupid celebrations after performing a successful play. I'm sure I'll get some flak for this but the team should ONLY celebrate once they have achieved and secured the WIN.

I'm tired of all the extracurricular posing for make believe pictures, the choreographed INT hoopla and all other woopdeedoo TD celebrations only to see the end result being a stinking Loss. Do all the cartwheels they want after securing a win and it won't bother me much but to see an INT and then the whole group of defense trot to the EZ for pretend photo shoots is quite bothersome anymore IMO.

If the culture is to change then being serious all 60 minutes is where it should begin. Winning is more fun than individual or team celebrations during a loss. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mike Mitchell called, he does not approve of your post. Told me he will celebrate his 17 yard tackles down field loud and proud as much as he wants too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

LOL. I'm sure Roosevelt Nix will be disappointed as well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It seems to be league wide.

5. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Even more reason to ditch it.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The culture of the NFL overall stinks when compared to earlier times (i.e. 60's and 70's). That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Now this would be bucking the norm for the NFL and it's new celebration policies. For one team to do it would create a social media frenzy.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree. It’s all about showing some class. But we’re old farts. That’s the way we grew up. For the young whippersnappers, it’s a me first and look at me world.

:huh:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like celebrating after a TD although some of the choreographed ones now are down right silly.

What I can do without is celebrating after every first down. One thing I won't miss is Bells little first down point, that aggravated me even when I liked him.

10. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'm sure if the NFL did away with celebrations the players would just start taking knees during the anthem for that as well.. Oh the hard deprived lives these athletes live nowadays

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I must admit I a bit wishy-washy on this subject. I'm old school, in that I like when players act like they have been to the end zone before or even the first down marker, however when someone like Heath spiked the ball so hard the air would come out, I loved it. On the other hand, I wasn't a huge fan of Brown's celebrations. They were kind of cute the first time or two but got to be too much in my opinion. So, I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on who is doing it and how it is being done...wishy-washy!

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree the team photo thing was irritating as hell. It’s like any choreographed celebration: amusing the first time, stupid every time after.

Celebrating after a TD is fine though. Juju’s snowball fight, Willie Gay’s bizarre animal thing, etc. All adds to the enjoyment - so long as we’re not down by 28 at the time.

I was one of Mitchell’s biggest detractors, but I’ll admit in certain games it seemed he was trying to inject some energy into the defense with those reactions. However, actually making a play may have been more effective...

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The choreographed celebrations were part of the old culture? Apparently, some folks forgot that JuJu Smith-Schuster has been center stage in those.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Billy white shoes johnson.

Vince Williams leading the way in a photo celebration after the defense finally made a play after getting burnt play after play is a real turn off. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not happening with JuJu being the biggest culprit of celebrations.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't mind the coreographed TD celebrations. I can do without those 'celebrating' a first down. And I completely hate the Rosey Nix 'wow,I just cured cancer dance' after he's stopped a full yd and a half short on fourth down.

When the Nixes of the world 'gotta dance' before they know they succeeded; When the Chikolos of the world feel the need to spout off on social media; it just might be that culture issues didn't completely disappear with the Killer Bees.

When the Jabronis feel they have license to act selfishly, why would the real players feel differently.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I can't remember his celebrations during the Saints game but I'm sure there were quite a few. I do remember his fumble and how terribly he felt. Maybe that will humble him a bit in the future celebrating personal achievements in what was ultimately a loss.

I'm not trying to beg for a No Fun League but over celebrating every big play seems to shift focus from time to time. Spontaneous TD celebrations I don't really have a problem with. Choreographed Turnover celebrations by the Defense I couldn't care less about.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The only celebration I really remember from that game was Nix. Oy.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the defense gets 30 turnovers, and wants to do choreographed celebrations, then so be it I can live with it.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I understand how you feel and while I partially agree I think that celebrations in the moment are quite normal and to be expected. The group celebrations while entertaining and quite obviously rehearsed are not cool imho. It's dumb and immature. Act like you've been there before. I would like to see more Heath Miller TD celebrations personally :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As a youngster I attended games in the 60's. I remember them just giving little pats on shoulders and hand shakes. Most the games I went too there was no need for celebrations anyhow since we use to get pounded.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    T
    he old saying “act like you have been there before” is easier if you have actually been there before.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Who's left thats been there before?
    Big Ben, Pouncey
    anyone else?

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking smaller scale. Just a touchdown, etc.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I want to see Edmunds celebrating his touchdown next year. I'm as bad as they are.