1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things we could learn from "soccer"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jun 2, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    First, specifically regarding us. I've always wanted to go to a road game takeover and start singing Renegade. Just imagine how sick it would be as a player on the road in Cali or somewhere and late in the 4th you hear 20-30k Steelers fans singing Renegade since they won't play it.

We takeover road stadiums and get no advantage out of it. But then the home team will make some noise and it sounds like the loudest stadium. But in reality it's half the stadium of Steelers fans going oh I can finally make noise or too stupid to realize you only make noise when the defense is out there. We have this problem at home too sadly.

Something the league can take from them... They do their big game on Saturday and parade immediately on Sunday. So much better then the nonsense we got.. Sunday then the parade could be Weds, Thurs, or Fri who knows!! Until like a day before. People are more inclined to do something for the game on a Saturday than Sunday. But maybe that's by their greedy design to have more people sitting in front of their tv's for their ads. Parade the next day while it's still maximum hype.

There's much more they do better too but that's just a few things.

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t know which “big game” you are referring to, which to me is evidence it is not as big as you say.

NFL isn’t going to compete with College games, so we won’t see them on Saturday.

Renegade led by fans on the road would be cool.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers 3, Dolphins 0. That's as close to "soccer" as I ever hope real football gets. If you want to be surrounded by 50,000 hooligans, just attend a Raider's game sometime. No thanks. I do like the atmosphere at college football games though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm referring to the Super Bowl not regular season or playoff games.

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That hooligan stuff doesn't happen as much. It's mostly just drinking, singing, and having a good time. Steelers are probably the closest American sports team that rivals the fandom of soccer teams but a ways to go compared to the worst over there. Steelers are always interacting with soccer teams on Twitter. I mean this a neutral site, about 80k fans and 50k traveled and don't have tickets.

What's the point of giving money to an away team and sitting on our hands all game? Steelers road fans have the ability to be a force but lack structure.

6. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I can't wait for the season to start just so theres less dumb pointless threads like this one

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No what's pointless is having 20-30k fans go to road games and sit on their hands all game and create no advantage. If it's so pointless why is Steelers social media all over soccer clubs? They know.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I could probably learn how to get rid of my insomnia from soccer.:yawn:

9. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    You said they do their big game on Saturday.

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    And yet, here you are.

Truth is, if it wasn’t the off-season, I wouldn’t have opened it up. But since it is, and there’s little to discuss, why not.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about sitting on our hands but those of us in the Vikings market made ourselves known in 05 when Mike Tice complained about how we took over the Metrodome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Growing up in a soccer family, loving sports, I do watch soccer when it matters during the big events and the World Cup. However, soccer sucks and football before Goodell and former players suing the league was about as great a sport that has ever existed and nothing comes close and I love basketball and baseball.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If the games are fixed, what difference does it make whether the 20 or 30k visiting fans sing, dance or stay completely silent in opponents stadii?

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Another TODS backwards post... I love it hahaha

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought the NFL was rigged and you were boycotting it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The issue is the day and age we live in. Go to a road game and be the person who hasn't traveled with a large group and after the game you can find yourself in a bad way. I live in the Northeast part of PA and I have Eagles fans all around me, when they play the Cowboys at home you should hear the talk of what they want to do to the Dallas fans. I also have been to those games and the only way there isn't a Cowboys fan getting treated by EMS and a group of Eagle Fans not going to jail is if the Eagles win.

Go to a Baltimore game like I have when playing the Steelers, my buddy had his Steeler jersey torn from his back and we had full beer cans thrown at us not to mention death threats that seemed legit. Most of us understand it is a game but in crowds that large there are always a few nut jobs and they do a wonderful job at looking for those to be alone or with just 1 or 2 other people.

17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, I don`t get the attraction for soccer. More boring than baseball IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Now, now. Be nice. We should be grateful for the free content during the looooong off season, LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, their equivalent of the Super Bowl is the Champions League Final. They do it on a Saturday. That was my point.

Coaches and players complain about us taking over all the time but we could have a way bigger impact than we do with the numbers that go to these road games.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm talking about games where we takeover. We don't really takeover Philly or Baltimore. Strength in numbers.

I was the same way growing up until I stopped being ignorant. Then I finally attended a game and it was the most electric sporting event I've ever been to and I've been to Steelers and Pens playoff games and lots of big games. This is boring? Boring is a Steelers game at 1pm.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Soccer isn't fixed?
    Talk about scandals, soccer is King.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I never said that and not what the thread is about. It's about us fans and passion. Watch the video above. Why couldn't we roll up a picture of Mr Rooney in the crowd?

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Soccer can’t even get the clock to run the right direction.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2