1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP - Bart Starr

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, May 26, 2019.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    GB Packer legend QB Bart Starr passed away at 85. GB won 5 championships under his 16 year span including 2 SB's where he was MVP for both. Even though I was a Steeler fan while still sitting in a highchair, he and Johnny U were the very first NFL names I can remember from those early years. He was like a Mickey Mantle or Wilt Chamberlain - the best in his sport. The names he was surrounded by (Vince Lombardi, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Herb Adderly, Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Willie Wood) has only been matched by the Steelers 70's Dynasty. Classy guy on a classy team for so many years. Thank you Bart!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-legend-bart-starr-passes-away-at-age-85/

[​IMG]

2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Starr still holds the best winning pct. for 10 or more playoff games (9-1) and for playoff QB rating 104.7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I remember those Packer teams as a kid, without really appreciating them until I was older. Bart Starr was the perfect QB for that team and for Lombardi. A smart guy, who understood the offense and didn't make mistakes. I remember being at aunt's watching his QB sneak during the Ice Bowl on a snowy B&W 15" TV.

He and Unitas were the greatest of their era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Passing of an NFL legend. Helped shape my attraction to the game in those NFL Films.

RIP Bart Starr.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A true legend and gentleman. RIP # 15

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you paying attention Brady fans? Starr and Lombardi didn't get caught cheating either.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    True but I just remembered that "Golden Boy" Paul Hornung got caught up in a Pete Rose type scandal and was suspended for the 1963 season along with Alex Karras. Not that it made any difference in the outcomes of games he played in but it did tarnish the GB Packers image a bit at the time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/12/si-vault-paul-hornung-alex-karras-pete-rozelle

https://www.nola.com/saints/2012/03/paul_hornung_faced_a_1-time_nf.html

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Gambling is a bit different than filming other teams practices but, I know what you mean. Gene Klein always accused Al Davis of bugging the Chargers locker room. I’m surprised Bellychuck hasn’t done that........or has he?

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of cheating, and you're goinna love (hate) this, I had a friend of my brother organizing a group of 20 to buy a luxury party box for the Chargers/Steelers game in October. The regular price for these is $5500 but divided by 20 is $275 per person. While it is high considering the end zone location of the boxes, most felt is was worth it. It includes the private enclosed box with freedom to walk about, Sunday Ticket on several TVs, seats out front and unlimited drinks and party food. We had our 20 committed and collected a required $1000 deposit ($50 per head) and the Chargers said the final total price wasn't set yet but should be very close to the $5500 charged last year and the general price set for most home games this year. Well 3 days ago the Chargers alerted our coordinator that because the Steeler's game was the anticipated biggest home game of the season, that the new price was flexed up to $8000 or $425 per person, up $150 from the previous rather high price of $275. 10 of our group immediately bowed out and the rest of us were not comfortable with the new price. Even the few Charger fans who were part of our group are now royally peeved at the Team and have vowed to boycott them forever, which would bring them in line with you, Santee. We'll probably still get together at someone's house and have an extravagant catered party and still come out many $1000's ahead.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Makes perfect sense, they can’t sell out their Pop Warner stadium now, let’s piss off some fans who WANT to go! Spanos-think!