1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Poised for Committee Approach at Running Back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 8, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh boy, I think the winning percentage goes up by reducing #7 attempts. Play fast
    and on time. PA will work beautifully If #7 will practice it and let it happen? We have
    the OL and RB's and TE that can wear teams down. If I am 180 pd CB or a 220 pd lb in the third quarter I am
    dam tired of tackling that 230 pd running back.and it only gets worse as the game proceeds.
    IE Leonard Fournette 2 years ago in season and playoff game vs Steelers. Like men playing with boys.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Are you a priest? :eek::lolol::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wallace wasn't Brown. That comparison doesn't come close to holding up.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey Hey there, your old enough to know this slang. :to keep order:

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know my friend, just messing with ya.:smiley1::cool:

7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree that the team needs to run more. The issue is the defense being able to stop anybody late in games. The most blown 4th quarter leads of any team in the league and a lot of it is trying to run the ball so they can run the clock out. The issue that we have is if they can't move the chains running the ball with a lead they lose as the defense gives up easy TDs late in games.

How many times have we come here after that kind of loss and complain about the team going conservative with a lead? I agree that they need to run the ball more but this defense needs a 21pt cushion in order to try to run in the 4th quarter, any less and the game turns into a loss. Fix the defense and running the ball late in games is a no brainer but not with what we put on the field for a defense now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    In theory I agree but the problem is based on these numbers I found that someone over at SD posted,we aren’t even trying. I’m not saying to run into a brick wall but look at the sheer attempts of the teams on the top of the list. They also happen to be many of the teams playing for a championship last year. You need a balanced attack. These numbers show anything but....

B8370240-34EA-4E6A-9593-51442D08B547.jpeg . Hero ball needs to stop especially losing our best weapon of the last 6 or more years. There were concerns about Ben essentially being the quasi OC with Fichtner being too much of a buddy. It seems to me that’s exactly what’s happening. The run pass ratio was just about 70/30 last year. That’s not balanced and winning football. So while it would seem we are blowing leads by running ineffectively, the numbers say that’s not true. It’s actually putting your defense in position to blow leads and lose games.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Wow when you look at the numbers in the 4th that really is jaw dropping. Holy cow man I know there has been a lot of talk about running the ball more but I had no idea it was this bad........

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes incredibly one sided....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I have said it before but even if they don't run all three they need to get the 2nd n 3rd string guys reps so they are ready when needed. Last year when Conner went down Samuels might have had only 6 or 8 touches not enough to develop his timing with the Oline. First game Samuels started he basically sucked but after a game and a week of first team reps in practice I think he went off for 128 yds. He wasn't ready or properly prepared when he was needed I blame that on Tomlin, a year later it still ticks me off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    How do you get more reps when you feature back averages 17 of the 20-25 runs per game? Even if they upped that average to 30 Conner's reps would likely go up a few and the ratio would only be slightly different. That said I do like the idea of some 2 back sets, this could be very fun to watch.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Read this article

https://www.steelcityunderground.co...-comparison-by-history-bell-cow-vs-committee/

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Love the attitude. This kid and JuJu are definitely my two favorite players on the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    an interesting article but I think the FO is slowly changing their minds on that, they seem to have welcomed the committee approach this offseason. We'll see if it continues throughout the regular season.

Snell vs Samuels will be an interesting battle for the #2 RB imo. I"m sure Samuels will get the early nod due to experience but it will be interesting to see how that developes.

Dobbs vs Rudolph is another and Ola vs Chick. Some good depth battles to watch in TC.

• Like Like x 2
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Snell is a closer, his path to being active is going to be that late third, fourth quarter 8 min drive that is a dagger to the defenses heart.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I really think some serious reflection has happened for Tomlin and how the bell cow never come off the field approach led to the Bell saga. Utilize your bullpen and let guys have a role.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Guys who can do that without getting a significant number of carries before they have to close are very rare. Bettis was able to do it later in his career. The Patriots seem to always have guys who can thrive despite limited touches. I just wonder how Snell becomes the guy who gets the ball with the game on the line ahead of Conner and Samuels. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move ahead of Samuels, but right now, Conner should be getting the ball in a situation like that.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I worry about flow and carry too but if you have Conner at over a 100 yards going into the late third and fourth with a worn down defense I think you pull him to keep him fresh. It's having that 3rd rb dressed versus other position of need that will be sticky

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    All depend on how fast he learns blitz pick up. Thats always the area that holds rookies back.

I think eventually, Snell will be challenging Conner. Very underrated draft pick IMO. Think he is going to be very good.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would have to bet they'd rotate the backs throughout the game not just use one guy until late in the game then bring another guy in. For example, Conner would start off a series with Samuels coming in for Conner on various 3rd downs. Then the next series, or every other, Snell would get the bulk with Samuels again spelling him on 3rd downs or passing situations.

That's how I would see a committee approach anyway. Game situation and clock dictating substitutions of course.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess it's possible, but I still think it is more likely Conner gets most of the reps, including some third downs. At least last season, he was far better than Samuels picking up the blitz and he was a useful receiver.