1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I don't think JuJu is an issue, it's going to be our other receivers. If they're good, he'll be good, and we'll be good. All good. ;)

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I know he did do some spot work but that isn't the better part of his game. Brown has the skill set to be highly productive from there with those quick feet. Jujus strength is outside. We were limited last year with Eli out and DHB and Hunter as depth and also Switzer being new and also the team trying to figure how to use Samuels as well. We may have lost a talent but will have a different but better overall sum of parts to build with as they get more familiar. The offensive dynamic should change with the better options given Ben now. It's less about one of two options and more about many as I see it going forward. I do give them credit as of now for changing the Brown and bell show to a more team side offense. We shall see if it works. :cool:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I assume you are talking about the 1,000 yards, I don't expect that but was just pointing out while it's a drop in production it's not a sign of failure. In his first season of dealing with being double teamed all year there could be an adjustment period. A 1,000 yards receiving season is never a failed year, thats absurd. Also, his TD's will go up in either scenario which is more important IMO. Those 12 TDs that AB generated is the stat that needs to be replaced the most. It's going to have to come from everyone, JuJu had 7 last year, he's not going to score 19 TD's and make up that void himself.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry Mac, JuJu is very good in the slot and he has said he prefers it. He took 171 more snaps from the slot last year.

He is a complete receiver that can play inside and out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I stand corrected. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My god I hope juju does flourish but like it or not he has very big shoes to fill. The pure hate for AB has fuelled some here and that is fine but be real about it. I think we struck gold with Juju and I think he is very talented but that don't mean I am not worried about his production. I am worried about Juju, JW, Mocrief, Vance, DJ, Switzer, Conner.....etc! Everyone is gonna have to take a step up but only time will tall if that happens, it is nice to know we have Juju here to step into that #1 role. jmo

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's my hope that Fichtner plays with opposing teams heads by lining them up in different spots and both sides and then running routes that go to their strength. Have Washington in the slot, Juju outside and have them cross in a pick that frees up Juju or gives Washington space up the sideline.

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    How many team JuJu would be the best WR of his team right now?

I think it's a lot!

The question arises for us because we lost Brown, otherwise there would not have much question about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Unless Gentry shows a lot of promise. I see the Steelers making a move on another's team cut of a TE.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If Smith-Schuster's yardage production drops 400 yards, that's a disappointment. I used the words decline and sign of trouble, not failure, so I'm not sure whose point you are calling absurd. It wasn't mine because I didn't use the word failed.

Also, who said Smith-Schuster had to account for his touchdowns and Browns from last year. I certainly didn't. That makes two arguments you seem to be suggesting were mine, but I didn't make them.

The bit about being double-teamed acknowledges the role Brown played in Smith-Schuster's success the last two seasons, something you had been downplaying. That was my point all along. I am glad you're seeing it, too, now.

Touchdowns are so inconsistent for receivers that it makes using those as the primary measure is a mistake. Look at Brown's career. His touchdowns dropped from 13 to 10 from 2014 to 2015, but he caught more passes for more yards with a higher average per reception in 2015. The latter was a slightly better season. In 2017, Brown was clearly still the best receiver in the game. He led the league in receiving yards and averaged 15.2 per catch, though he played only 13 full games, sitting out two and missing most of the game against the Patriots. Still he caught only nine touchdowns, much less than his 15 in 2018. Do you really think Brown was better in 2018 than he had been in 2017?

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect JuJu's receiving yardage to drop this season from the 1400 he had last season, I think they have enough guys to pick up the slack though.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't know that. He has better tools to work with than AB. He's going into his 3rd season and has by far and away had a better start to his career. Now hes the number 1 guy and Ben loves him, skys the limit.

I didn't suggest the TDs was your argument, It was my opinion. TD's are more important to me than yards. If JuJu dropped to a 1,000 yards but added 5 more TD's to last years production giving him 12, I'd take that trade off. If JuJu isn't getting those yards, someone else will. He's not the only receiver on the field.

I never said JuJu didn't benefit from AB being on the field. More dishonesty from you and its pure dishonesty because I have corrected you on this statement more than once.

To your last point, again, I don't care about yards as much as TD's but doesn't mean I want to see a 700 yard season. 1,000 is the threshold for me. WR yardage fluctuates from season too season. The 1,000 yards I used in my OP was the floor, I don't expect it but was taking into consideration the concern people have for him struggling with double teams. I could certainly see a drop of a 100 yards, if he gets 1300 yards/10 TDs is that still a disappointment to you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Personally, I never considered Hines Ward as a #1 receiver however I did consider him as an elite type of WR. I think JUJU fits that same kind of player and wish him the same success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    expect his tds to go up tho ;)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hey, if you want to claim the conversations went differently from how I remember them, you can claim that all you like. I'm not being dishonest. That you argued the point with me more than once doesn't mean it's not true.

And your use of the words "more dishonest" is, quite frankly, dishonest of you. You can disagree with my posts all you like, but they aren't dishonest.

Touchdown totals for receivers can be far more fluky than yardage.

And regarding Smith-Schuster, he's not explosive out his breaks like Brown. He's great, but best receiver in the league? That's a bit much. And if you're going to say he can be Brown, that's what he would have to become because that's what Brown was in his prime.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'll take the not best receiver officially or unofficially in the league and hoist more trophies over the yes or no "is he the best" WR in the league with none hoisted. I want a good team not a great positional player. We'll see though. C'mon defense!!! WR is the least of my problems personally. I think the O will be pretty damn good if not just good enough... Other side of the ball? Been a
    Problem for a while now. I mean we can yammer on and on about AB or JuJu forever... Neither has hoisted a meaningful brick much less a Lombardi! JuJu has smashed AB in comparison to inception years in the league and not even a fool can argue that. But, AB has been smashing on the league for a while now and guess what? He's on the couch like the rest come the final dance off. Total team effort wins. Not the new guy vs the ghost.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    JuJu only needs to keep being JuJu, and I think that will be more than enough for him to be successful. It really comes down to how the ball is spread and how the receivers respond to it. It also depends on how the RB's respond to touches. If everyone is making the most of their touches, a defense should get torn up if they insist on taking JuJu out of a game. I hope that Ben doesn't feel like he has to force the ball to anyone. I truly believe Ben shines when he's not forcing the ball. In my opinion, this is where AB excelled more than anywhere else on the field. AB had the ability to come up with those forced throws more often than not, and it was a lot in his case. AB didn't seem as willing to come up with them this year, and it showed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You don't need to be sorry for having an opinion (opinions I can respect no matter what they are). In my opinion, JuJu is more intelligent than AB which is easier to discern by their actions off the field more than their play on the field. You are asserting that AB is more intelligent on the field, and he should be, he has a few seasons on JuJu. If you look at their bodies of work over the beginning of their careers, JuJu has the better stats. In my opinion, the only reasonable argument that can be made about their field intelligence would be made at the end of their careers, in which case, you very well could be right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can only go by what I've seen so far, which is a lot more from Brown. Of course, that's unfair to Smith-Schuster because he has had less time. As I mentioned previously, I think we've just got too many people here so invested in knocking everything about Brown that they refuse to acknowledge what he meant to the team on the field.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who?

21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    We questioned Brown if he could be a number 1 when Wallace left ...

Many with the Saints did not know if Michael Thomas could be a number 1 after the Brandon Cook's trade ......

My point is that it is very possible that JuJu becomes a great number 1, even if many question it during the entire off season .... but of course he can not do that alone.He need help from the other WR or RB.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with the Wallace comparison everyone keeps bringing up is that Wallace was never anywhere close to Brown's level.

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Yes, but Wallace was getting a lot of attention for the opposing defense after his early success in his career .... remember when Wallace was with us, every defenses were afraid of being beaten deep by Wallace.

But my point is that many have had success as number 1 after being number 2 ... Michael Thomas is another example with the saints ..... A very good WR will always remain a very good WR. ...but JuJu must not be the only one who produces for the steelers.It was the same for Brown.He was not alone.

24. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Not really. People knock his character but nobody denies how good brown was for us.
    We develop talent at wr like it’s nothing so people aren’t losing sleep about it like you and footballanalyst. If Anything Ben is the one
    Who gets dragged and underrated year in year out. He’s already developing another elite wr in jj, which is why AB is all butt hurt to begin with. Chalk it up to ab being double covered all you want. Easy cop out.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take JuJu getting around 1,100 yards with 10 or more TDs :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.