1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We need to replace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 18, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    141 catches. Between brown, james, Hunter, DHB and riddley. The last 3 should be no problem. That is a matter of 7 catches. There is a difference of 24 catches between James and grimble with grumble having a slight advantage in yards per catch.

Making up the catches is one thing if we are going to rely on the run game a little more, but what comes in to play then is the ability of our wrs to block downfield. as far as TE Grimble has a slight edge on James in that category, so that's a push. Wrs though is a pretty important part of the run game. Will we see something like what is being talked about in the run game and a wr by committee approach? Will the better blocker see more field time? We had trouble with this in the past and brought in Richard Mann to fix it and he did. DHB and AB are gone from his teachings. :cool:

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ll just spread the ball around more.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    If Ben still has more than 5000 yards, we're in trouble.

I prefer 4000-4500 yards for Ben with better efficiency as better YPA, better running game and less interception.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Hell I prefer the 3000 yard Ben with an elite defense and bruising running game lol

Bettis and Parker where you at?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I'll give 20-25 more catches to Vance MacDonald. He will be the Steelers' on-a-good-year-Gronk with 70-75 catches. Ben has confidence in this guy. Conor can have 15-20 more catches for 65-70 catches playing all 17 games. Ben seems to like Switzer so he gets 15-20 more catches for a total of 51-56. Grimble get James' 30 catches. Samuels get another 15-20 catches for a total of 41-46. Washing ton gets 35-40 more catches for a total of 51-56. Rodgers get 30-35 more catches for a total of 42-47. Moncrief has averaged 40 catches for his 5 years in the league. He should get at least 40 with Ben and the Steelers. Ben and Big Al don't get any catches this year. :hehehe: OK! Deficit erased. So the Steelers run the ball more. So it is easy enough to pare down the number of passes and catches.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you only throw 575 times instead of 675 times, at a 65% completion pct, the 141 extra catches down to 75.

Though I doubt Ben throws less. He doesn't want to, his OC is hand picked and Tomlin won't interfere. Bombs away again in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Moncrief 40 receptions
    Samuels 25
    Washington 55
    Johnson 35
    Vance 20-25 more than last season
    Problem solved :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't count me among those worrying about AB's departure. Id throw Bell in there but already have a season without him and shockingly (heavy sarcasm there) it resembled the same.

Ben makes this offense go, not AB and not Bell and he'll be better off not having a whiny ***** in his ear. Look for a more balanced spread the ball around offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    As others have said, hopefully not 141 passes.
    Throw less, grind the clock with the run, and hopefully be more efficient with both running and passing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    With our defense and league's dynamic offenses the Steelers cannot ground and pound. So whet if the steelers grind out a TD in 7-9 minutes when their opponents simple score in 2-3 minutes.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If the defence is not significantly improved after all the resources that have been put in there then it will be a huge disappointment.

I think we have closed a lot of the holes in the defence honestly. Nelson is relatively proven and should be a solid no 2 corner, and Barron and Bush give the Steelers a lot of flexibility. If Layne works out then better again.

If they don’t fix the issues that plagued the team last year on defence there is no point trying to fix the offence because the team is going nowhere and may as well tank.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Our o-line and stable of running backs is a lot better than our pass catchers right now. Go with that strength and eat the clock as our defense needs time to find its footing. Win-win scenario imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd like to finally see that 30 points a game that Ben and Haley were striving for. Throwing the ball all over the field won't get it done. You have to have a balanced run/pass attack and a Defense that gives you a short field along with a bunch of turnovers. Sadly, we have underachieving coaching that will not dictate that type of game.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Flipping the TO differential will be the key to how well this team will be next season. The offense & Ben shoulder this turn around as I don't see too many more turnovers coming from our defense philosophy as it is.

16. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't know about that last part.
    Considering how few turnovers the defense got this past season, and the number of missed opportunities for interceptions, they are bound to get more defensive turnovers. Probably back to a normal amount, in the low-to-mid 20s.

Turnovers have a lot of variance year-to-year.
    Look at the Ravens. In 2017: 34 defensive TOs. This past season: 17
    (And their defensive rankings were considerably better, despite only taking the ball away half as many times.)

Or consider the Steelers a decade ago. The defense was coached by LeBeau, so the defensive philosophy was the same year-to-year.

2008 - 29 def. TO, 11th in the league for takeaway/giveaway
    2009 - 22 def. TO, 20th
    2010 - 35 def. TO, 2nd
    2011 - 15 def. TO, 28th

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It just seems we take the 'bend but don't break' to the extreme. Like everyone is giving a five yard cushion to eliminate the big play. Lots of big plays on us in '17, they did improve on that last year though.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I cannot agree that out RB's are a lot better than our receivers. Conner was brilliant the first half, but fell off the 2nd half of the year (injuries aside), Samuels had very respectable stats, but a very small sample size, Snell has yet to run one down in the NFL. On paper it looks like a good trio, but there are still a lot of if's. The receivers are in the same boat. Ju Ju we have seen, but not as a number 1. Washington started to show flashes, will he grow? Eli before injuries slowed him has shown to be a decent slot, Switzer in a similar vein. Moncrief, decent enough, but will being with Ben make him 'that much' better (I personally this so), DJ's a rookie, MacDonald, can he stay on the field.

I guess my point is beside the O Line and Ben, this in many ways is a 'new' group. The newness being more will be expected, that answer will come in September.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, plus a couple of more 3rd down stops would be nice. Also factor needing a kicker who you can depend on. We play so many games close (many NFL games are). A few long FG misses in 2017 and the team may have been 10-6, a couple made last year and the team is 11-5 or even 12-4. Were we really a 12-4 team last year, but then were we really a 13-3 team the year before. Record aside, I think we were very average, depending way to much on last minute heroics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We need to replace......the idea that a non losing season is a accomplishment for this franchise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We only need to replace the TDs, not the catches.

If Vance has 3 catches in a game, but they’re all TDs it’s all good.

I’m more in favor of focusing on Red Zone production. That’s why I was hoping for a higher round TE. Big target for Ben.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Will they try to use Gentry (our new TE) or do you think they will shelve him this year?

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There's also one fan that should probably be replaced.................... Hot Steeler Fan.jpg :lolol:

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope. We love all Steeler fans. Even if they have tattoos.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK Tats, plus she's wealthy - I overheard someone refer to her as the hair apparent ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1