1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How closely do we look at these and this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 18, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben is signed for 3 at least. This new kid has some game. Are we set in stone on rudolph and dobbs? This could be an interesting watch. Will there be mystery injury with one going to IR late in the preseason? :cool:

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I wouldn’t bet on Ben playing that third year, he has taken a lot of hits over the years and if the team does not look like challenging then retirement will be attractive for him. It’s not like he needs the money.

I really hope one of Dobbs or Rudolph turns out to be good but no way of knowing that at this stage, the only measure that matters is putting them in for a run of games and that’s unlikely unless Ben is injured or retired.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    “Lol Rudolph lights it up in 2021 preseason and regular season during bens injuries”

* this just in Ben extends his contract for 10 more years*

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What would be the benefit of deliberately getting one of those guys on the IR?

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Another hat at a positional need on Sunday, but don't agree with it.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The original post is ridiculous.
    Why in the world would you place one of these guys on IR? Makes no sense to delay Rudolph’s or Dobbs progression. If Rudolph is the #2 you either keep Dobbs on the 53 as the 3rd QB or you cut/ trade him. You don’t fake an injury and put him on IR.
    And if Dobbs is the #2 no way you put Rudolph on IR and stunt his growth.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Dobbs, but I think Rudolph is the future. As much as I hate the thought of this picture, there is always a chance we don't do well, Ben retires, and we are looking at a higher pick. So for argument sake let's say that happens (please God no), and a stud quarterback is there for the taking. With Dobbs and Rudolph on the roster, do we draft the stud? I'm sure it would depend on our other needs. I guess where I'm going with this is that I grow concerned that we spend more time trying to find Ben's replacement that actually developing one to replace Ben. Lots of questions in the next couple of years.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Keeping the new kid around and off the PS. Next year is the final year for Dobbs contract. If this new kid shows upside he may be worth keeping around another year instead of getting poached. :cool:

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When Dan Marino was available they passed. The report was they were afraid of the drug use rumors (which they could have checked on rather easily). However some time ago I read where the discussion in the room went beyond the drugs and the determined that they had young QB's (Stoudt and Malone) and wanted to start with the D like they did with Joe Greene. Because of the unfortunate car accident we will never know the career "Senor Sack" might have had, but having Marino in the 80's we just might have sweeter memories. It is all a crap shoot, and you almost have to go with the 'Stud" QB, and hope he ends up being Manning and not Ryan Leaf, lol.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Hodges was who I was thinking about. over 14,000 yards passing. 8 rushing TDs. Might be worth keeping around another year of more. Dobbs and rudolph have value this year. So no it's not ridiculous. :cool:

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    OK. That makes more sense I had no idea you were talking about somebody other than Dobbs or Rudolph

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    According to Rooney, he wanted to draft him and when everyone else found out he was acting on a tip from a reporter, he was overruled.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Rooney was over ruled? By who? His wife?

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s not Jerry Jones, he apparently heeded to whomever was objecting.

15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Well most of the 80's were a debacle. I recall one statement about cutting players, it was something like once you got started you did not know when to stop.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I have thought quite a bit about this. I am not sure how it works for Dobb's being a 4th rounder, but if this is his last year before FA then you have to take a hard look at his development vs. Rudolph and what the UDA kid brings to camp. There are only so many snaps so the Preseason games could mean a lot for all of their future's, not just for the Steelers but getting a chance with another franchise. I agree it could be an interesting watch this summer, especially that they no longer do several cuts, but only one at the end of camp.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We were in the championship game against Marino his rookie year. I was at that game. Those days in Miami were a little foggy but I'm pretty sure I was there and so we're the steelers. It was Lambert last game. He paved back and forth like a caged lion and I was telling at him to get in that game. He finally did with about 4 minutes to go. The turf toe was just too much for him. It was a sad day but I was glad I got to interact that day with a legand. :cool:

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hodges will only push the other two which is a good thing. I still have Rudolph as the favorite for the #2 but it's going to be a tight race.

Instead of faking an IR injury or whatever, if Hodges impresses big time in camp, the Steelers should just limit his preseason exposure and stash him on the PS to buy time. Why expose your gems to everyone when you really need to decide between Dobbs and Mason. Give him some mop up duty in the 4th so the other teams are in the dark.

19. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Im too lazy to research this but im pretty sure the Steelers have never put a QB on the practice squad. Definitely not when they keep 3 on the 53 man roster. They use the PS more as a resource for replacing injured players than for player development. That makes a QB on the PS a waste of a PS spot.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There is tape on the kid out there and honors. It will be something to watch this preseason. We are due for a gem to call into our laps I hope. Who is good enough for the second contract after Ben will come up before long.:cool:

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO unless you feel you already have a stud QB ,you always take the stud QB.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • [​IMG]
      Samford redshirt senior QB Devlin Hodges accepted an invitation to the SPIRAL Tropical Bowl.
      If you haven't heard of the Tropical Bowl, you're forgiven; it's certainly not one of the well-known All-Star draft events. That being said, there were three players who played in it that were drafted, and there were more than 80 that got looks in camps. Hodges (6'1/210) is likely to be one of the latter, but he's an interesting quarterback to keep in mind. He put up bonkers numbers for Samford, throwing for 4,283 yards with 32 touchdowns and rushing for eight more. There will be scouts at this event -- of course -- so if he shows out, it will go a long way towards making him a potential Day 3 prospect, or at very least one who gets a look as a priority free agent.

SOURCE: Tropical Bowl
      Jan 7, 2019, 11:00 PM ET

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    You mentioned Dobbs situation in another post, so just to keep the convo going on a boring afternoon I have a couple questions, and then thoughts.

Dobbs being a 4th round pick, does this qualify for the option year 'tag' that allows us to match offers? or is he automatically a FA after year 3?

IDK if that will influence any decisions because you certainly need to keep the best as your B/U, and that will be determined in the Preseason. That said, if their progression is even and you are comfortable with Rudolph, do you try and shop Dobbs to another team (who possibly through injuries need a QB). The most you would likely get is a 5th (and even that is a stretch), or do you go ahead and keep him (even if he is 3rd string) for the just in case scenario (Rudolph goes down).

Of course Hodges is the hidden caveat. May show nothing, may show promise, may make the coaching staff go Ga GA..who knows at this point. I think beyond the play on the field, they will take a hard look at the future contract considerations under the current CBA. I believe Rudolph can be tendered for a 4th year, which takes us to the end of Ben's contract. then the decision to put the franchise tag will have to be made.

I know so many if's...but compared with a lot of teams we at least seem to have some nice possibilities at QB.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not sure. i thought we had our draft picks for 4 years. except a first rounder and those give us that 5th year option. not sure how the exclusive rights part works or the restricted free agent part works.

i think mason is the next in line after ben but if this kid shows some talent i could see he and dobbs in competition for the last spot. that is why i was talking about the IR part, keeping the kid around another year and going with dobbs and rudolph this year. :cool:

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Very plausible, I agree.