1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger finalize three-year deal, per sources

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Heinz beat me to it

How many SBs has Bell been apart of in Pittsburgh?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Like what? If you have a franchise QB, you're going to pay through the nose or lose him. I only see it getting worse.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. Bell and Brown = Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson. Great stats, sh!tload of hype in the media... no rings.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Phillip F...… Rivers: 65M guaranteed over 4 years

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    + 1 it would be a very brave GM that would let a genuine franchise QB walk out the door. There is just too much chance of it blowing up in your face and ruining your legacy.

That said, we are heading for $40m QB contracts in the next couple of years. At the current cap it will be hard to build the required depth alongside that unless you hit gold in successive drafts. I’d still prefer to have the QB though.

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I wonder if Ben has made more money from one franchise than any other player in NFL history? He has to be damn close if not #1.

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    According to Business Insider as of January 2019:

1. Eli Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Phillip fricken Rivers
    5. Big Ben

I am referring to money from one franchise & the article did not include this years contracts.

Eli Manning? Archie produced the two highest paid players in NFL history.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I could almost see a 1 player exemption against the cap in the next CBA, player jealousy may get in the way..but current trend there is no way a team can build when one person takes up so much cap space.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If one person takes up too much cap space, whose fault is that? It won't be player jealousy that kills this idea, it will be owners that would prefer not to pay more payroll.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    For Ben it was different. He delivered 2 SBs in his first 5 seasons. Yes, you pay that man for the rest of his career. I have no problem with that.

I'm talking about paying the likes of Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and Jimmy G like they've accomplished something.

GMs have to have the stones to move these guys and get something big in return rather than just pay them 30M a year to finish out of the playoffs year after year.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Devil you know I suppose. Good QB’s are rare and GM’s will always be wary of tailspinning in to a decade of QB purgatory if you let one of these guys go. I’d pay Matt Ryan btw, he’d have a ring if not for some mind boggling play calling at the end of that SB, he is easily a top 10 QB. Falcons have been ravaged by injuries in recent seasons, not his fault.

The other two have never had a SB roster to work with but yeah, they are overpaid for what they are. Then you have guys like Winston, Mariota and Prescott on their rookie deals and their teams need to make a decision. I can see Prescott getting $25 - $30m. He is not worth that for me, and his contract will hold the team back. They have to pay Elliot and Cooper too, and they just paid Lawrence.

It’s hard to get the balance exactly right.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Would you know these players career earnings?

I am betting very few have been paid over 200 million dollars.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Brady signed more team friendly deals. That is the one thing I give him credit for and I hate him.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They apparently pay him millions in fees through his TB12 company though. League have looked at it and found it to be within the rules by all accounts but I wonder if this became commonplace would they shut down this loophole.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Always a 'loophole' with Belicheat. Truiy the dark master.

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ben has won 67% of his games in his career, so it's well spent money especially we can still win with him.

Ben also won more without Brown or Bell.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I agree with a caveat.

Keep in mind that some of those teams have either been in NFL Playoff Purgatory or have just been irrelevant since their glory days. For some NFL Owners and GM's, throwing caution to the wind via money to return to relevance is miniscule in comparison to whom they believe is their "saviour". Whether or not they break the bank is nugatory to them.

That being said, I do agree with some of these current Quarterback contracts. Some of them I do understand. Other's like Kirk Cousins truly BAFFLE me BEYOND belief.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

True. Brady is definitley one who will take the hit for the team. He does understand the fundementals and principles of the salary cap. Of that much I will give him full credit for.

That being said, his hidden figure dwarfs Ben's. Gisele has quite a bit to do with why Brady does not care enough to warrant more money. Ben is not within the same situation. For that matter, no other NFL Player is married to a woman who is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, A lot can happen in those 2 years, but that 3rd year will be Rudolph's 4th, if Ben does hang it up they have to see what the kids has before unloading big bucks on him. The CBA talks or lack there of will determine much as well.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I bet if Marsha didn't have the stadium deal with Kraft "the John" he would be asking for a lot more of the salary cap.

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe with out the extension the Steelers have paid #7 over 200 million up to this point for 2 superbowl wins.
    I would say he has been highly compensated, for what he has brought to the table.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    It is hard for me to fathom with what we have seen from an aging Eli these past 2 years,
    that the Steelers would handcuff their future with a poor contract for an aging player. Shame on you Steelers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They have 3 years. MT, KC are going to ride the franchise to the end and then we see sweeping changes. :cool:

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What’s your alternative? It’s not like we can just walk out to an orchard and pluck a franchise QB off of a tree.