1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

#81 WR Johnny Holton is DHB's replacement??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, May 17, 2019.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The only disappointing aspect of the draft I have is that we totally missed-out on all that speed & size at WR. So many guys to choose from & we chose to get nobody ...not even Emanuel Hall as a UDFA. So we signed Johnny Holton who is 6'3" & run a 4.22, looking at his YouTube Raider highlights & I see some future possibilities. With Donte Moncrief we can now put fear in opposing secondaries & they just can't sit on routes. Also I'm praying Holton makes the team but unfortunately that may cost Eli Rodgers WR spot...

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I know the debate has been had elsewhere, but I think Switzer brings more than Rogers, and they're both fulfilling the same kind of role. So if Rogers goes, it would be a shame, but not devastating.

I'm intrigued by the Holton signing, and my first thought was also that he was the new DHB (can he play safety though???). Not sure what his blocking is like. He may turn out to be another Lance Moore, or not make it through camp. But his speed makes him particularly intriguing.

Hopefully it's part of a trend where we sign the Raiders back ups and make them into solid contributors, while they take out starter WRs and... well, let's see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    notice once we released heyward bey, PWP was no longer seen again lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So he can run really fast and not catch the ball?

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the whole WR race aside from Juju, should be quite interesting.

Lots of spots up for grabs and a few aren't making the roster.

Between Swtizer, Rodgers, and Holton, I would only see 1 of those 3 actually make the team, maybe 2 if your lucky.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    6'3" wr's with blazing speed don't go undrafted without a major reason why..
    Make no mistake, he's on the outside looking in and has no chance of cracking any part of this lineup unless we are beset with multiple injuries at the position

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    WR is the least of our worries. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He would have to really impress in training camp to make the team, I doubt it happens.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I accused PWP of being DHB’s mom once. He said I should accuse him of being his dad. Maybe he was?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    We carried 6 WRs last year, I can't see Rodgers & Switzer both making the roster because they are similar players. My choice I'd choose Switzer over Rodgers because he's a reliable PR/KR. At 6'3" & a speedster, I fail to understand how Johnny Holton didn't register any big stats in Oakland ...was he hurt or did they not use him?? I have not heard Raider fans complaining of drops ...so what the deal?? We will see ...yes he is a 1-trick pony, & he does have Mike Wallace-type YouTube highlights, ...& we do need a legitimate vertical threat along with Moncrief...

11. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    I have not heard Raider fans complain of any drops. I think during the 2017 season he caught something like 9 balls, 3 for TDs, 4 over 40+ yards?? I think Ben can turn this guy into a Mike Wallace Jr. ...or maybe not. In addition to Donte Moncrief, we do need a speedster to open the field up for JuJu because if opposing secondaries are allow to sit on routes ...it's gonna be a long season for Ben & the passing game

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe PWP is DHB? :hmm:

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That theory went around but PWP would post during games. I think someone would have noticed DHB holding a phone during games. Plus, he probably would have dropped it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    i would prefer Switzer over Rogers too but its close. Switzer does have the edge on STs return ability, but I would assume Diontae Johnson will get the first crack at those. Make fun of DHB all you want but he was a damn good STer and didn't complain about his role at all. I'll take those kind of guys all day long. A team needs those role players. Just because DHB was a WR it doesn't mean a WR has to replace him on STs. It could be one of our smaller faster LBs like Gilbert, Smith or a safety. Brian Allen was getting pretty good as a gunner too.

I don't know squat about Holton but I think he was brought in more for WR competition than STs competition.

• Agree Agree x 1